Breeding my dog - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
Breeding carries so much risk and potential heartbreak- if you truly care about the pups. One thing people don't mention often is that roughly 20% of pups born die young (under 10 weeks). Disease, birth defects, etc. And getting a pup back is fairly common. I microchip all pups in my name first, so that if they were to ever end up at a shelter, or lost, they'd be traced back to me. The last thing I want is a great working dog to fail the shelter temperament test and be euthanized (not uncommon).
This happened to a friend of mine who is a very reputable breeder, and is popular among the NFL crowd. Wont mention breed or teams to preserve his privacy. BUT one of his top dogs who belonged to a player as a PPD turned up in an inner city shelter. Turns out the player ad left it with his granny and it got out on her. Breeder was furious, dog was underweight, under utilized, and dirty so she had been either not taken care of before the granny lost her..or was roaming for some time. Needless to say person forfeited their dog by contract. That was last year..NOBODY has come looking for her to this day. This is why I do not mind breeder contracts where they somewhat maintain some ownership and/or control over the dog. If it had been not chipped back to the breeder he would not have received her back. And somebody paid 6k for this dog. High price is one insulating factor from careless owner..but it is just that ..a factor in favor. Still no guarantee. Especially when 6k isn't a lot to someone I suppose.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Many, many, MANY reasons to not breed your dog. I've had VETS tell me I should breed Gryffon because he has such a good temperament, but I will not: I've been involved in GSDs and training for many years now, but I don't feel I know beans about responsible breeding.

And a mixed breed? My previous dogs where mixes from the shelter. They were wonderful dogs, and I still miss them deeply. I couldn't believe that people would give away, give up, dump such wonderful dogs, but it happens all the time. Your family and friends can find that perfect companion in the shelter, that is a win-win situation.

The trainer with whom I started with lost a favorite bitch during a whelp - he hasn't bred a litter since.

I remember one particular member on the board who posted proud pictures of his puppy, saying that when she was old enough, he was going to breed her. People tried to gently dissuade him of course, and must have been hurt by the lack of support, he didn't post again until about a year later, in the "In Loving Memory" section - his dog died trying to give birth. It can happen.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 01:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Worst one I ever heard was the Dal that was dropped at a shelter because "we redecorated and he doesn't match the furniture anymore"
Yeah, I've heard that one too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlesfrk View Post
My dog is only 8 months and in her first heat. She is so adorable and good my family wants me to breed her. Possibly next heat but any suggestions? She is a German Shepard/ golden retriever mix. Never have done this before. How do you find a mate? Thanks
Too many discouraging comments here and Its easy to understand that it’s mostly because it’s not advisable esp if you don’t know what you’re doing. But it’s not as if you’re a puppy mill and planning to make money out of this. However I do know that if you don’t plan to breed your pet it might be a good idea to have them splayed once they are older to keep them healthy.

I don’t want to discourage you if you’re not doing this for profit. And if you can ensure your pups all go to homes where they will be loved. Then don’t let people discourage you.

Plenty talk about adopting over producing your own mutts, but they are not personally invested like you and your family. They do not know whatever history there is and why that dog is special to you and your family. Heck some folks even clone their dogs. There might be strong emotional needs involved.

Just do what you feel is right but make sure those pups won’t end up in a shelter. Given that you have your dog’s temperament in mind, best look for one with similar temperament. Plenty of studding services being offered all around (you can even find advertisers in the net). However do check the stud’s health and temperament and don’t pick a stud just by its looks and easy availability. It’s an uphill effort but if you think it worth it.... good luck.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyjane77 View Post
Plenty of studding services being offered all around (you can even find advertisers in the net). However do check the studís health and temperament and donít pick a stud just by its looks and easy availability.
Sure, Craigslist is one great resource. Plenty of honest people who don't want to make money and who are reliable and keep their promises. Also a great place to advertise all the unsold puppies for a discount so they won't end up in shelters or in the dog fighting circuits.

The OP's thread is about 7 months old by now so the dog might already have been bred on her second heat.

I don't expect updates. Maybe in a few months we'll see new posters, asking why their GSD x's ears won't stand
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlesfrk View Post
My dog is only 8 months and in her first heat. She is so adorable and good my family wants me to breed her. Possibly next heat but any suggestions? She is a German Shepard/ golden retriever mix. Never have done this before. How do you find a mate? Thanks
What?

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Elite Member

Sometimes I wonder when new people come here and ask a thing like this that it is just BS and they are baiting us for fun.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Master Member

So clueless... 'Want to breed my dog because she is adorable! 🌈 🍭 🧀 🦄 🎉' A lot of my relative ask me, 'Do you not wanna breed your dog? He's so fantastic. Don't you wanna let him have the experience of being a father? There could be little versions of your dog...'

No. I don't want to breed my dog. The people who ask me if I wanted to breed my dog are not experienced, knowledgeable dog people. Do you know just how many dogs out there pay the price for irresponsible breeding/reproduction? Plus, if my dog had pups, who is to say they're ALL gonna be as wonderful as my dog? Jeez. Just plain stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page