All the things I should be doing - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I really like this notion of, "if you have to ask before you try, don't try." It's cute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Aly
Master Member

I'm not a breeder (though I know many in real life), so here's my recommendation. Find an experienced, reputable breeder who's done something with their dogs (e.g., IPO, obedience, conformation showing) for years. Not someone who's simply bred dogs, but someone who's 'proofed' their breeding --- over generations --- in recognized competitions. Someone who also health tests their lines and can show you the results of that testing, over generations. Once you've found her/him, see if you can arrange a mentoring relationship. If said person is willing, s/he can teach you more far about pedigrees, breeding, raising and handling dogs, etc., than you can ever learn from the internet, books, and the like.

Warning: Finding the right mentor will take time, as will establishing and developing a mentoring relationship. But, if it's important to you, what you'll learn will be priceless.

Aly
kimbale and Winnal like this.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 AM
Knighted Member

I just get from reading these posts from valued members (with so much experience) that they don't want you to try breeding until your list is complete. Pointing out that this dog will probably not be trialed and health tested in her breeding window is just giving you the practical aspects. What you learn with her, will guide your next choice of puppy if breeding is your desire. Always remember those puppies are your responsibility for life, should their future homes become unfeasible.
Diegotxe, Mudypoz, kimbale and 1 others like this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
I just get from reading these posts from valued members (with so much experience) that they don't want you to try breeding until your list is complete. Pointing out that this dog will probably not be trialed and health tested in her breeding window is just giving you the practical aspects. What you learn with her, will guide your next choice of puppy if breeding is your desire. Always remember those puppies are your responsibility for life, should their future homes become unfeasible.
That logic doesn't hold up at all. How can you say I'm trying to breed already when I'm trying to learn how first and start doing the things I need to determine if I should first? I think it's just personal vendetta. It's always the same people saying no to me over and over, including you (some have backed off because at least now they understand I'm not breeding for the wrong reason).

It's more like, they don't want my list complete, because they don't want me to ever get to the actual breeding part. No worries, I'll do it myself.

Based on your statement, "they don't want you to try breeding until your list is complete". First of all, you say, "try breeding", which is false, because I'm not going to try until I determine if I should and do the things necessary to decide, secondly, if they don't want me to "try breeding" until my list is complete, then why not try and complete the list so I can try breeding. That doesn't add up at all.

Once again, the notion of, "you don't even know how to do it yet, so don't even try, or don't ask us."

Or, "you don't even know how to do it yet, so we're not going to tell you how until you figure it out yourself." (lol)

And you claim, the dog probably won't be ready in time, then give specifics like, the estimated amount of time it takes to do all these things, and I'm guessing you have no numbers, because it's completely based on the person and how fast they learn, their resources, training, management, ability, knowledge and experience (presuming I have none of these at all). So, I am going to pass on your 'probability' without any statistics backing it up.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Winnal; 03-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

How about just tell me what I need to know (or don't) and leave it to time to decide whether I can do it all in time, instead of presuming that I won't have the time and subjectively state that I shouldn't try because of this. All that does is add discouragement without any benefit or actual substance to my cause, just demeans it, pretty much shows your intent in posting.

So, I realized I'll just be here arguing forever and gain nothing (because none of you want to give me anything) with you naysayers telling me I shouldn't try at all, I get you want me gone. Like you guys said, I have no time to waste. I'm out. PDB here I come.
Castlemaid likes this.

Last edited by Winnal; 03-27-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

"By the way, when I learn something, I don't just learn one part at a time, I read the whole index, list everything that I need to learn, then learn it all at once."

Winnal, what people are trying to tell you is that the learning process takes TIME and EXPERIENCE. You can't just learn everything you need to know from a book, or the internet in a couple of weeks! That's like putting on a pair of skates for the first time, and expecting you're ready to compete in the NHL the very next week. Okay, bad analogy, maybe, but I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

BTW, need to apologize for calling Winnal a 'she'. Not sure how I arrived at that assumption, but it's wrong...
kimbale and HolyFriedFish like this.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Knighted Member

The list should be far enough now for you to get started and see where you stand. You have many many threads and previous statements that probably makes people take your posts with a grain or two of salt. Remember this is the internet, and "if it's on the internet, it's got to be true"
Winnal likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
"By the way, when I learn something, I don't just learn one part at a time, I read the whole index, list everything that I need to learn, then learn it all at once."

Winnal, what people are trying to tell you is that the learning process takes TIME and EXPERIENCE. You can't just learn everything you need to know from a book, or the internet in a couple of weeks! That's like putting on a pair of skates for the first time, and expecting you're ready to compete in the NHL the very next week. Okay, bad analogy, maybe, but I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

BTW, need to apologize for calling Winnal a 'she'. Not sure how I arrived at that assumption, but it's wrong...
And I get that, but you can actually gain experience faster from people that are experienced, that's why there are mentors, and many people told me to find one, that's exactly what I'm going to do (people like you ).

Have a nice day (will read your Pm soon).

Last edited by Winnal; 03-27-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Is this your dog's pedigree?

Litter from Quardes von der Staatsmacht and Inka Klidkova Dvora

If so, why don't you go to your breeder for help? They know the reasons why they did the breeding that produced your girl and should be able to help you on your road to learning and future breeding.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Is this your dog's pedigree?

Litter from Quardes von der Staatsmacht and Inka Klidkova Dvora

If so, why don't you go to your breeder for help? They know the reasons why they did the breeding that produced your girl and should be able to help you on your road to learning and future breeding.
I think that pedigree was posted by another member for their own dog. The OP is refusing to post their dog's pedigree fearing ridicule.
lhczth likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page