Want to breed - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 57Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member
 
LuvShepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnal View Post
they may say more than that, and that's why im here to learn... but they certainly got interested probably from those reasons. If you have an excellent health dog with high potential why wouldn't you want to learn about breeding at least to know your options and also get her properly vetted and trained?
There is a very strong possibility your dog isn't purebred. Find that out first. Wait until she is over age two and get her hips and elbows certified, check for DM. Title her in something respected. Then come back and ask about breeding. You aren't there yet.
dogfaeries and Deb like this.
LuvShepherds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 29,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnal View Post
All of those qualities come basically from a very strong and healthy dog that is trained well. .
No. Those qualities come from genetics. Either the dog has them or he doesn't.

A healthy and strong dog does not mean a dog with balanced drives and nerve. An unhealthy and weak dog does not mean the dog doesn't have strong nerves.

You can not train drives and nerve into a dog. They are what they are.

I don't think you have a grasp on what makes a dog breed worthy, what drives are, what nerve is, and the only way to learn that is to get off the internet, go out and train your dog. Watch the other dogs. Talk to knowledgeable people.




Jax08 is offline  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 PM
Deb
Knighted Member
 
Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,388
(Elements of Temperament, by Joy Tiz )


An excellent article to explain what people are talking about when they talk about drives, thresholds, nerve, etc..
Deb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:32 PM
Member
 
ghinchcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 58
Purebred???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnal View Post
We have a female we want to breed. What do you think?
Winnal, WTF, in one forum you ask if your dog is purebred and in the next you want to breed????? Really, or is this an early April fool's joke
LuvShepherds, cloudpump and Datura like this.
ghinchcl is offline  
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Master Member
 
astrovan2487's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 500
A dog is not breed worthy based on perceived potential. I bet your dog is a good dog, prove it by getting her health tested (actual x-rays of hips/elbows being sent to OFA or SV and given a passing score, DM test, ect.) and use her great potential to train her in something challenging out in public. How a dog acts in it's own home or comfort zone is not a good indication of it's nerves. If a dog has such great potential it's a shame not to allow that dog to live up to it.

Get educated on the breed, know the breed standard and be open minded and ready to learn because most people with pet GSDs have no clue. There are a lot of GSD experts out there, many on these forums that are a wealth of information. I understand that wanting to have and raise puppies is something enjoyable and fun but in this day and age when thousands of dogs are put to sleep everyday we need to be smart and responsible about our decisions. Bringing 6-12 more puppies into this world is a big responsibility. Bringing 6-12 puppies with unknown health history and unknown temperament into this world is just impulsive and careless.
wolfstraum likes this.

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
astrovan2487 is offline  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 31,528
If you ask a breeder what their purpose is in breeding this bitch to this dog, they should be able to give you an answer. There should be some methodology to the selection of bitch and dog, and a direction in which the breeder is going. The selection should take into consideration the bloodlines as well as the individual dogs, what the dogs produce not just what traits they have, and if you have been working on it for a while, what traits a dog improves, not just what traits the dog possesses.

Each of my questions was asked simply and directly, not to "discourage" but to encourage you to do it right, to educate yourself, and to get connected with someone who will help you out.

The place to meet the people you need are training clubs, training classes. And don't expect it to happen over-night. If you picked an excellent breeder from the beginning that wasn't too far away, then cultivate that relationship, and learn from them, learn about them before you decide. It sometimes takes getting dirty, spending time in classes and in clubs before a breeder believes you are serious enough and have something to offer, for them to accept you as someone they want to help learn.

There are a few breeders here. Carmen already wrote you off pretty much. This just isn't a venue to mentor people to become breeders. You can't train and evaluate dogs over a computer, and you can't breed a bitch or whelp a litter over the computer. At 2 AM when your bitch is circling and straining, if you come on here, there might be one or two newbies that will scream at you to get to the vet, which may or may not be the thing to do.

Sorry, I am just telling it like it is. You are taking it as though it is discouraging. Discouraged over words isn't a good start, really. I know a lady who waited years for a pup, and then trained her in all kinds of things only to find she had HD. Ok, she kept her and loved her and got a second pup, and did the same, only to have some other heritable disease. She kept her and loved her, and waited for a few more years and put in another shepherd only to have her hopes dashed yet again. Another lady lost her bitch and had to hand-raise the puppies. And a friend of mine nearly lost her bitch and all the puppies. Talk about discouraging. Ah well, some things we are just determined to learn the hard way.

My mentor, a lady that was breeding and raising champions before I was born, half a century, would say to me, "I have to learn from other people's mistakes, I don't have time to make them all myself."
Datura likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
selzer is offline  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Winnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrovan2487 View Post
A dog is not breed worthy based on perceived potential. I bet your dog is a good dog, prove it by getting her health tested (actual x-rays of hips/elbows being sent to OFA or SV and given a passing score, DM test, ect.) and use her great potential to train her in something challenging out in public. How a dog acts in it's own home or comfort zone is not a good indication of it's nerves. If a dog has such great potential it's a shame not to allow that dog to live up to it.

Get educated on the breed, know the breed standard and be open minded and ready to learn because most people with pet GSDs have no clue. There are a lot of GSD experts out there, many on these forums that are a wealth of information. I understand that wanting to have and raise puppies is something enjoyable and fun but in this day and age when thousands of dogs are put to sleep everyday we need to be smart and responsible about our decisions. Bringing 6-12 more puppies into this world is a big responsibility. Bringing 6-12 puppies with unknown health history and unknown temperament into this world is just impulsive and careless.
Dude, people just cannot read without being completely straight forward about the exact last reply when I've been saying obviously I have to prove it and I'm here to ask the avenues to do so................................................ .................................................. .............................
Winnal is offline  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Winnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
If you ask a breeder what their purpose is in breeding this bitch to this dog, they should be able to give you an answer. There should be some methodology to the selection of bitch and dog, and a direction in which the breeder is going. The selection should take into consideration the bloodlines as well as the individual dogs, what the dogs produce not just what traits they have, and if you have been working on it for a while, what traits a dog improves, not just what traits the dog possesses.

Each of my questions was asked simply and directly, not to "discourage" but to encourage you to do it right, to educate yourself, and to get connected with someone who will help you out.

The place to meet the people you need are training clubs, training classes. And don't expect it to happen over-night. If you picked an excellent breeder from the beginning that wasn't too far away, then cultivate that relationship, and learn from them, learn about them before you decide. It sometimes takes getting dirty, spending time in classes and in clubs before a breeder believes you are serious enough and have something to offer, for them to accept you as someone they want to help learn.

There are a few breeders here. Carmen already wrote you off pretty much. This just isn't a venue to mentor people to become breeders. You can't train and evaluate dogs over a computer, and you can't breed a bitch or whelp a litter over the computer. At 2 AM when your bitch is circling and straining, if you come on here, there might be one or two newbies that will scream at you to get to the vet, which may or may not be the thing to do.

Sorry, I am just telling it like it is. You are taking it as though it is discouraging. Discouraged over words isn't a good start, really. I know a lady who waited years for a pup, and then trained her in all kinds of things only to find she had HD. Ok, she kept her and loved her and got a second pup, and did the same, only to have some other heritable disease. She kept her and loved her, and waited for a few more years and put in another shepherd only to have her hopes dashed yet again. Another lady lost her bitch and had to hand-raise the puppies. And a friend of mine nearly lost her bitch and all the puppies. Talk about discouraging. Ah well, some things we are just determined to learn the hard way.

My mentor, a lady that was breeding and raising champions before I was born, half a century, would say to me, "I have to learn from other people's mistakes, I don't have time to make them all myself."
And Im here to figure that out everyone has to start somehwere.

the way youre posting basically being skeptical rather than just te4lling me staright instead of constantly doubting is not helping. I dont need opinions just facts.
Winnal is offline  
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:06 PM
Deb
Knighted Member
 
Deb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,388
Fact: Your dog does not meet the standard.


https://cdn.akc.org/GermanShepherdDog.pdf
Femfa, HolyFriedFish and Datura like this.
Deb is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Winnal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Fact: Your dog does not meet the standard.


https://cdn.akc.org/GermanShepherdDog.pdf
ok.
Deb likes this.
Winnal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome