Thinkinh about either becoming a breeder or just studding. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thinkinh about either becoming a breeder or just studding.

Sorry I don't have any pictures or anything, I'm new and it's now allowing me for whatever reason.

I was more interested in breeding my male dog but I have been doing research and now I'm wary of it and wanted to learn some more before doing anything. He is not of age now and I will not being doing anything with him until he has AT LEAST 2 years old and has his hips and elbows tested to make sure he is healthy and has gone through normal training (not just beginner but the highest I can pay for in my area by a reputable trainer.) I will also get him through temperament testing of AKC S.T.A.R that I had seen in area. However as he grows and I don't see him fit for continuing the breed I WILL NOT DO IT.

But that's not where my concern lies. My GSD is not AKC registered. His mother's and father's background do have AKC registered dogs in them. However, the grandfather was not AKC but the mother was a double registered AKC. On the mother's side the same scenario happened. When I received my puppy, the father is a long haired blue shepherd mother smooth black and tan saddleback. I have not met the grandparents since they are not in my area. So my dog is registered with the NAPR and ConKC.

My boy is only 6 months so it's a long way off which is why I wanted to get opinions now. So far is temperament is great and we're working on the training. He hasn't got his patterns fully yet but he looks sable in the face with a silvery-tan on his chest and his legs are a normal tan. The tan has not drawn up and is only on his front and hind legs. He is a plush coat. He is also a working line dog with little slop from his hind legs (something I personally really don't like when it's severe and I've seen AKC's with it so bad I wasn't even sure how they walked.)

If I decided to be a breeder I would buy puppies from reputable breeds and such, I'm not deciding on doing that AT THE MOMENT. Just possibly studding out my male for other breeders that might like him? Which I'm doubting since he is not registered with AKC.

So opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Unfortunately without a legitimate registration (and in the USA that is the AKC) your boy would not draw quality females for breeding.

Enjoy your boy for who he is and spend time learning about the GSD, training a GSD and learning what makes a dog worthy of breeding.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah with no AKC probably isn't gonna be any reputable breeders interested in him. Unless he was one of the top dogs in sport. IPO /SCH . Then someone may but more than likely not.
So do you have pedigree from any of his ancestors.
And just post some more posts and you should be able to post pics eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I requested for one. The breeder had to take pack this puppy due to the previous owner getting another puppy and just dumping him so I have to wait for the transfer. I didn't get a pedigree on his sister who was born in the same litter because I didn't plan on doing anything. I was just going to spay her when it's healthy to do so. Her name is Luna and she's my baby girl. Wyatt, the one I'm talking about, is obviously a companion dog as well. I was only curious because people see him and ask and everything. He is a pretty boy and as I said his temperament is great.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

Lisa, very well put! The OP may well have a super dog, but he should enjoy his dog and train/learn as much about breed before he ever entertains thinking about breeding. I like the OP's enthusiasm and hate when people who know a little bit about the breed come down on folks, but the OP should also know, regardless of the dog, a person shouldn't engage in breeding without being knowledgeable.This is just my take!
lhczth, Jax08, Cschmidt88 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by cliffson1; 01-05-2017 at 03:36 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Elite Member

Hi RainE, I don't want to discourage you from someday being a breeder. We need all the good breeders we can get for the future. But, as you mentioned, I don't think now is the right time for you to start that venture.

In addition to acquiring the necessary health and temperament clearances for their breeding stock, the best breeders aim to improve the breed, and usually that is demonstrated through titles, sport, or real life working ability (IPO or another protection sport, showing, police work, search and rescue, tracking, herding, ect).

I think the best thing you can do right now is to start training your dog in some kind of advanced venue (STAR puppy is a great place to start, but it ultimately needs to be more than that) and find the best breeder you can to mentor you. You can learn a ton with the dog that you have now. Then, someday, perhaps, you can invest in a pup that might have higher potential for breeding. Not that your dog isn't wonderful and beautiful, as I'm sure he is, but there's probably not a great demand for a stud without papers, unless he absolutely excels in some sport.

I hope you get to be a breeder someday if that is a dream of yours, and I hope you go about it the right way. I'm just a pet-owner. There are several experienced breeders on this site who will provide more helpful advice than I can give. But I will say, before I even contact a breeder for more information about a litter, I look for someone who health-checks their dogs (as I see you plan to do, which is great) and who titles their dogs in some venue.

With that said, I'd love to see photos of your dog someday. I'm sure he is a great companion!
ksotto333 and RainE like this.

Last edited by sebrench; 01-05-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so I should use my two GSDs to learn about them until I can afford a AKC GSD with good genetics (I'm more into the Cetzch working lines THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL TO ME) or whichever and then possibly start when financially and educationally sound? I just see some AKC dogs that I'm not entirely sure about genetic wise mainly the hips, I prefer more straighter toplines (Still sloped some, just...not so much). I'm a girl by the way! Haha. I've just always loved German Shepherds and want to IMPROVE the breed, not hinder it at all. In research looking at breeder to breeder, there are some that have AKC dogs that I look at and though they have titles, look like they should have some problems. But maybe that is me.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Then I'd guess you should probably invest in a working line dog someday. Usually such dogs have AKC registration or can be registered, and yes, some look different than the GSDs you see in AKC or SV shows. You might want to get involved in something like IPO/Schutzhund where you will find lots of experienced folks. Most of the breeders who focus on working lines prove their dogs' ability in some kind of protection sport, which you can earn titles in. If you list your general area in this thread or another one, some one may be able to point you toward a good club in your area. There's definitely a lot to learn, and some of it (like pedigrees) can be difficult to learn until you get involved in your chosen niche and meet people and their dogs--I would presume, as I said, I'm not a breeder.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking about putting my female, Luna into IPO/Schutzhund anyway when I got her. She is amazingly athletic and I feel like she'd do very well in any sport. Obviously I need to look into some around here. I'm from the Greater Cincinnati Area. Since I'm going to spay her anyway I was possibly thinking about registering her in the AKC PAL so we can participate. We're planning on moving to the Chicago area as well and to be honest, I'd feel good with one of my dogs being trained in IPO/Schutzhund. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with Wyatt but at the moment, I don't know how good of protection dog he'd be. They're both only 6 months. Below are the pictures of my babies. A little older. Both 5 months at the time.
Attached Images

sebrench likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

Cute dogs, holy EARS batman!! There are really a lot of previous threads very similar to this one, OP, you might want to read those too. Enjoy your dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page