Interested in becoming a breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Question Interested in becoming a breeder

Hi, I am very interested in becoming a breeder but I would first like to be an apprentice to one some I can find out how the process works and so forth. Does anyone know how I would go about finding a breeder in my area let alone finding one who is willing to take on an apprentice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

first decide if you are more interested in showline or working line? is there a particular venue of competition that interests you most - mondio? conformation? agility? obedience?
Get involved with a local club that hosts such events and meet people. You will meet breeders there who you can network with.
angelas and Deb like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'd definitely like to train dogs so probably would be more interested in the working line. Do I have to be a part of a club or something to get into events like that or are they open to the public? Sorry, I know it's a stupid question but I really don't know much about things like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:06 AM
Crowned Member

Why?

what has been your experience to this point ?

the process is easy . Boy dog meet girl dog . Nature takes its course . Pups are born .

that is the easy part .

the real important stuff is first knowing what makes a good GSD. What is good conformation and why is it important.

what is the history - be aware of that this is not one breed - not since the 70's -- sport , show, working , and then specialty groups "ddr" - eastern-block .

in a mentor protege relationship with a breeder you should be prepared to come with some knowledge, some passion, some expectation that you are going to be worth the precious time spent on you .

indicate that you have dedication .

sounds like you know very little so far .

read the ice berg breeders thread for a start.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:31 AM

here is good breeding advice in general. It is not something to be taken lightly.
https://breedingbusiness.com/

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
Well, I'd definitely like to train dogs so probably would be more interested in the working line. Do I have to be a part of a club or something to get into events like that or are they open to the public? Sorry, I know it's a stupid question but I really don't know much about things like this.
What venue do you want to train dogs for? Do you have any previous experience? Have you ever owned a working line shepherd before?

I think you may be putting the cart before the horse, here...
CatChandler likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Well I know how to breed animals, that's pretty straight forward. I know that in order to have a great offspring you need to 1: make sure that the parents are both healthy and don't have any genetic diseases or disorders that can be passed down to the offspring and 2: make sure that the parents are not from the same family or closely related. Otherwise you just breed based on your preference. What I'm more concerned about is the business aspect of it and basically how I get your name out there, etc. I have done quite a bit of research on the breeding process and what not but I feel there are just some things you can only learn from experience and that's one of the reasons why I was looking to see if I could find someone that I could apprentice.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Well I know how to breed animals, that's pretty straight forward. I know that in order to have a great offspring you need to 1: make sure that the parents are both healthy and don't have any genetic diseases or disorders that can be passed down to the offspring and 2: make sure that the parents are not from the same family or closely related. Otherwise you just breed based on your preference. What I'm more concerned about is the business aspect of it and basically how I get your name out there, etc. I have done quite a bit of research on the breeding process and what not but I feel there are just some things you can only learn from experience and that's one of the reasons why I was looking to see if I could find someone that I could apprentice.

not entirely true. There are times when linebreeding is a great thing, even a necessary thing. Second, you have to know more than that the parents are healthy. You need to know about as many other dogs in the pedigree as possible, inside and out. Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. And not just about things that you can test for but cancer, longevity, even if they had allergy issues. Third, you don't breed on your preference until you have narrowed the list to pedigrees that will be a good match for your dog. You want to know which bloodlines are most likely to click well with your dog and what ones to avoid.

The "business aspect" is: if you want a lot of money breeding dogs, start with a whole lot more money and hope you have some left. Yes, you can make a profit in the overall big picture but you're not likely to be able to quit your day job. In the big picture, the money you profited on this litter will just be funneled back into the next one and possibly go up in smoke with one bad event. The end game is that if you are known in the venue you compete in and showcase your dogs' abilities, customers will follow.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
The highlighted comments are so so so far from reality it is sad. There are tens of dozens of commercial and backyard breeders who flood the market with puppies who have no real knowledge of the breed, no vision of the ideal for which they are striving and absolutely no idea of what they are actually producing other than a dollar amount that the litter will net.

To breed responsibly, respectably and knowledgeably....one has to LEARN about the breed, the types, the history of the dogs who are commonly seen in pedigrees....one has to know what traits are associated with dogs who have been prepotent and bred so much that they are going to show up in a high percentage of dogs today....one has to learn pedigrees, look at dogs training and trialing and learn to recognize traits and where they come from.....one has to train a few dogs and see how the pedigree aspect manifests itself in the live dog in front of you.

One has to understand prepotency, nicks and backmassing. One has to understand the blueprint for the ideal dog and strive to bring together the aspects without overloading some or losing others in an attempt to produce that dog. One has to understand the temperament and health issues common and try to understand where they come from and avoid or overcome them by balance in the pedigree with animals who do not have those issues known in their lines.

And there are some sucessful breeders who believe - and I am NOT a preponent of this - one has to cull undesirable traits!!! In a discussion with a very experienced breeder, about why I would not use a dog with X and Y combined with my female lines, his solution was to cull puppies who did not meet his acceptable temperament criteria at 8 weeks....I breed to avoid producing anything that is so extreme that I would have to make that choice, but others find it acceptable to cull in order to meet their goals.... to me this is a shortcut and shows little concern for the overall health and future of the breed....the genes are still there and this does nothing productive except keep the failures out of the public hands which should not have been produced if the person actually had a passion for the breed rather than for the bottom line.

There is much much much more to breeding than buying a couple of dogs in Europe who have credentials, making up a kennel name and coming up wiht a marketing plan to sell puppies

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 12-08-2016 at 08:31 AM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:41 AM
Master Member

Most breeders I've seen do not making a living off selling dogs, the only ones I know of that make a living off dogs at all are the ones that train, and breed, with most of the money coming from training, and most of them have some money to start with. You would first have to prove yourself as a decent trainer and have a remarkable, titled dog before you even think of breeding. No sport dog person is going to buy a dog from a new breeder who has breeding dogs with no titles or training experience. I would imagine show lines are the same way. Anything outside of that would be what most consider back yard breeding and anyone with a male and female dog can do that
wolfstraum and LuvShepherds like this.

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page