What are your breeding goals - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

What are your breeding goals

There are many, including myself, who want to breed gsds. So an important question is

what are goals of the breeding program that we want to achieve?

My goals are

to breed WGSL gsds that are of substantial size, with good anatomy and no exaggerations. Dogs that have sound extrovert nature, good prey drive, social, good obedience, completely dependable with children.
They should be good show specimens, great family companion, and keen watchdogs at night.

With strangers neutral, neither shy nor begging for affection.
cdwoodcox likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

To produce a GS that is moderate in size, of the color patterns that are acceptable in the standard, with drives and temperaments capable of performing the functions of the standard and it's legacy, good health and good working structure.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Knighted Member

Not to produce any GSD'S or any other type of dogs or animals. That basically sums up my breeding program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:28 PM

My breeding program would be to support existing breeders only who show the knowledge, ethics and tenacity to only breed dogs for the overall good of the breed.

Rosie's Mom
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

To produce well balanced dogs who are the jack of all trades this breed should be. Correct in working structure and posses the proper nerve, drives and temperament to carry out any task. I personally focus on nerve strength and drives to go out and do real work. In that, the dogs must be clear headed and stable.
Cschmidt88, voodoolamb and Romay like this.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Elite Member

Clear-headed, extremely energetic, strong work drive and strong drive to work with a handler. Very human-oriented. Dog social, kid social. Clear on and off switch.

True to breed standards of appearance and coat, and true to my chosen line "type" in head shape and physical appearance.

Clear of health problems, great physicality, endurance, natural jumper, natural retrieve. Great mothers, highly intelligent, good nose and natural scenting ability.

A mind capable of problem solving even when highly aroused.

Longevity, healthy and active into the teens. Extreme drives suitable for sport and real work. Strong nerved, not super twitchy, and also excessively confident.

Love for the job and the handler.

These are of course the ideal. Breeding isn't so simple, but goals are important.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
Clear-headed, extremely energetic, strong work drive and strong drive to work with a handler. Very human-oriented. Dog social, kid social. Clear on and off switch.

True to breed standards of appearance and coat, and true to my chosen line "type" in head shape and physical appearance.

Clear of health problems, great physicality, endurance, natural jumper, natural retrieve. Great mothers, highly intelligent, good nose and natural scenting ability.

Longevity, healthy and active into the teens. Extreme drives suitable for sport and real work. Strong nerved, not super twitchy, and also excessively confident.

These are of course the ideal. Breeding isn't so simple, but goals are important.

I like your wording better than mine lol.

T17 Working Dogs-

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
completely dependable with children
You cannot breed that as it is a matter of training. Dogs don't have any love to humans from birth.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post

Experiencing this in a dog is incredible.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 04:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembleyDogsUK View Post
You cannot breed that as it is a matter of training. Dogs don't have any love to humans from birth
You over look early life imprinting/socialization. Which isn't exactly training but is what instills that love for people.

And I disagree about whether you can breed for a dog that is dependable around children. While there is not a specific "good with kids" gene - many of the qualities that makes a dog good with kids IS genetic. Dogs with high thresholds, good impulse control, lower prey drive, and a sociable temperament are the safest around kids. And all those things ARE genetic and can be bred for.
Castlemaid and gsdluvr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page