What are your breeding goals - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembleyDogsUK View Post
They don't. IPO is a sport, it has established rules and standards. Without participating in IPO the dog cannot be qualified as a GSD for breeding. Here, you see, it is Germany who dictates. And it doesn't matter which one of two breeding lines your dog represents, you still have to prove that your dog is capable mentally and physically to pass those tests. No wonder why people with money prefer imports from established kennels in Germany - they are the dogs of dream. They can be Police dogs and control the crowd, and they can be service dogs, anything you want - depends on training, no behavioral issues whatsoever. And the German rules are getting harder, if you mind yourself a quality breeder - you should know that for US and any other breederis required a with DNA test, all existing in the world breeding lines should be traced back to Germany with DNA test: Sirius Dog

Wembley, you are preaching to the choir, though I'm not sure just which choir. Sometimes the best way to learn is to listen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sometimes the best way to learn is to listen.
I am a composer of my own music, a pure solo. You sound as you are sulking... Maybe I am wrong. I'm surprised that you have read such a bulk of information send by me so quickly.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembleyDogsUK View Post
They don't. IPO is a sport, it has established rules and standards. Without participating in IPO the dog cannot be qualified as a GSD for breeding. Here, you see, it is Germany who dictates. And it doesn't matter which one of two breeding lines your dog represents, you still have to prove that your dog is capable mentally and physically to pass those tests. No wonder why people with money prefer imports from established kennels in Germany - they are the dogs of dream. They can be Police dogs and control the crowd, and they can be service dogs, anything you want - depends on training, no behavioral issues whatsoever. And the German rules are getting harder, if you mind yourself a quality breeder - you should know that for US and any other breederis required a with DNA test, all existing in the world breeding lines should be traced back to Germany with DNA test: Sirius Dog
You missed my point completely.

I'm referring to the trend amongst some sports breeders (not just IPO) who breed for higher and higher prey drive with little balance of the other drives.

They aren't producing dogs that are capable of police work or "what ever you want it just depends on the training."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Sulking? No. I'm a teacher, so used to deciphering and dealing with students. Seriously, not all dogs are able to do any job just because they come from a particular breeder. You're giving a lecture to experts on GSDs. I'm not an expert on GSDs. I have no problem saying so. And I've owned multiple working line GSDs and non working line GSDs. That doesn't make me an expert on GSDs. I've been an obedience trainer since the 80s. That doesn't make me an expert on GSDs. I've trained multiple breeds to herd. That doesn't make me an expert on GSDs. I have been breeding and showing for 24 years. That doesn't make me an expert on GSDs.

To help you from getting others upset with your posts, I suggest the best way to learn is to listen.
Jax08, gsdluvr and voodoolamb like this.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Banned

Aww ... I'd never be able to be a breeder.

I was already in "cat rescue" and that's how I ended up with 17 cats at one point. But puppies ...yeah that would be a fail for me ... my motto would be "No Puppies for Sale Ever!" A pretty poor business model but you know ... what are you gonna do???
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have been breeding and showing for 24 years. That doesn't make me an expert on GSDs.
I have never met a breeder and an expert in one person.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Aww ... I'd never be able to be a breeder.

I was already in "cat rescue" and that's how I ended up with 17 cats at one point. But puppies ...yeah that would be a fail for me ... my motto would be "No Puppies for Sale Ever!" A pretty poor business model but you know ... what are you gonna do???

I can just see you with 27 Rockys. *G*
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I've been an obedience trainer since the 80s. I've trained multiple breeds to herd. I have been breeding and showing for 24 years.

that sounds like an expert to me !
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
what are you gonna do
Reinvent the bicycle.
TEZPUR1976 likes this.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
Max von Stephanitz said "The breeding of shepherd dogs is the breeding of working dogs; this must always be the aim, or we shall cease to produce shepherd dogs".
and
"Utility is the true criterion of beauty".

Show line breeding has pretty much destroyed this breed, so much so that it bled into the working lines as well.
Show line breeders who confused "style" with "type" did the damage. Show line breeding is about understanding the anatomy and its function in a trotting breed. Not what "style" will win me the next show title.

MVS aimed to produce a high endurance trotting dog. It is important to understand what makes a dog a good trotting dog. Many show line breeders just went for importing German dog, and advertising the "imported dog" as stud. Others fell victim to that advertising. An imported stud may not always be suitable for a particular bitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page