Becoming a breeder the right way....I hope - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:48 PM
Crowned Member

"red on this sable was just too rich to pass up" no relevance to quality
"As far as size specifics I am not looking to breed any oversized german shepherds and will stick with west german black and red and red sable" no relevance to quality
sounds peachy -- if you want to sell the property --- or business --
start with EXPERIENCE --- long long before you even think of bringing new pups into the world.

read https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-breeders.html

read Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs

There is so much still to learn- but sweaping the kennels, pair and breed ? sitting in on a birth ----
Breeding is a science and it is an art . Part you have to learn, part you have to feel and develop .
You have to have a good eye for a dog.
You MUST know what good breed temperament is .

I'm like the member who said they wouldn't care if you were in a jungle.
Fantastic dogs can come out of re-purposed chicken sheds ---- . That is what matters.
Those bold and daring pups , (qualities which are missing) with strong natural instincts (qualities that are missing)
with robust health and natural hardiness (qualities that are missing) with mental and physical readiness to learn and work (qualities that are missing) ---- that is what we need, that is what the breed needs .

seek out posts by Anne Kent (VANDAL) Lee Hough (WOLFSTRAUM) Cliff Anderson (CLIFF ANDERSON) - Hunter's dad - who we don't hear from anymore --- some of our foreign members etc etc
start from there. I think you will get a different perspective from your current mentor.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 05-24-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

I would be curious to know what you learned on your own and from your mentor on the history of the breed and the breed standard. I think those two things are critically important to making any breeding decisions.

If I were you, I would not wait until your mentor decides to do a breeding. I would be asking a lot of questions now about past breedings and why the pairs were chosen. What goals did your mentor have in mind with the breeding? Are those goals the same as what you would be trying to achieve?
ipopro and Romay like this.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubano22 View Post
How is that constructive at all? If what I stated was wrong then there is a way to correctly inform me? I still appreciate the comment and thanks for the best wishes
I guess it's not, sorry to bother. PLEASE TAKE NOTES.

Let me put it this way and you might understand, nothing in your original post told me anything about your experience in becoming a breeder (nothing) zero zip zilch, nothing in your original post IMO. After asking what you learned from your experience it was next to nothing listed "As far as what i have learned is hard to just list out but Ill give it a shot" "I sat in while a female was giving birth" OK I understand Males don't give birth so if you sat in on a whelping it is a given it was a female. (What did you learn) from this experience, that it was a female? I wasn't there and could have told you that! Now do you see what I'm typing about?

I could go on and on and on but time is valuable so I won't.

Do what you do, who am I to judge? I wish you the best of luck..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Banned

The way I learned is I asked every breeder I could find about every "PROBLEM" they ever had AND HOW THEY FIXED THE "PROBLEM" and took notes and studied those notes and arranged those notes and re-wrote those notes and re-read those notes and slept with those notes and referenced those notes and still had to learn more and still do to this day and I'm not even a breeder NOR DO I WANT TO BE.

The solutions are in the problems not the successes! The successes are to be learned from as well but in the problems lye the solutions.

Not sure how else to say it!
MineAreWorkingline and Romay like this.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:06 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Let's not start with the attacks and petty bickering between members. I've deleted one post so far.

So, Cubano - what has the training you have been doing so far thaught you about drives, and dogs? Because the goal of training and titling dogs is to learn about them and become better dog people along the way - the training isn't for the dogs' benefit, but ours.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:09 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Correction: I deleted a bunch of posts. Hmm, maybe some suspensions might save me a ton of work in the near future?

If someone wants to learn, lets teach them, in a respectful way. it might take a LOT of repetition for some concepts to sink in, but eventually, they might.
Honeybee1999 and Sweet Stella like this.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:11 PM
Master Member

I think it's great that you're trying to learn a lot and do your best. As long as your intentions are good and you're putting 100% in your breeding business, I think you will be successful. Don't let others discourage you. Get in touch with some of the breeders that have been mentioned already so that you can get some different perspectives. Good luck to you!

~Vesper~March 28, 2015
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
"red on this sable was just too rich to pass up" no relevance to quality
"As far as size specifics I am not looking to breed any oversized german shepherds and will stick with west german black and red and red sable" no relevance to quality
sounds peachy -- if you want to sell the property --- or business --
start with EXPERIENCE --- long long before you even think of bringing new pups into the world.

read https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-breeders.html

read Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs

There is so much still to learn- but sweaping the kennels, pair and breed ? sitting in on a birth ----
Breeding is a science and it is an art . Part you have to learn, part you have to feel and develop .
You have to have a good eye for a dog.
You MUST know what good breed temperament is .

I'm like the member who said they wouldn't care if you were in a jungle.
Fantastic dogs can come out of re-purposed chicken sheds ---- . That is what matters.
Those bold and daring pups , (qualities which are missing) with strong natural instincts (qualities that are missing)
with robust health and natural hardiness (qualities that are missing) with mental and physical readiness to learn and work (qualities that are missing) ---- that is what we need, that is what the breed needs .

seek out posts by Anne Kent (VANDAL) Lee Hough (WOLFSTRAUM) Cliff Anderson (CLIFF ANDERSON) - Hunter's dad - who we don't hear from anymore --- some of our foreign members etc etc
start from there. I think you will get a different perspective from your current mentor.
I would like to begin by saying I apologize about my first post I can see that it could have been taken the wrong way I just wanted to tell you a little about myself and the dogs. Was not aware I was typing a research paper haha I am only kidding. I was just trying to make it easy and fun to read so people could just get a little background. I apologize for putting that in there. Thanks for the comment and will definitely read the threads attached. I agree I think it is valuable to take in multiple different perspectives from different people and that's the main reason for posting.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Correction: I deleted a bunch of posts. Hmm, maybe some suspensions might save me a ton of work in the near future?

If someone wants to learn, lets teach them, in a respectful way. it might take a LOT of repetition for some concepts to sink in, but eventually, they might.

Not sure what to say. I tried to just walk away and wish all the best, then well I was criticized for doing so...
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Elite Member

Whenever asking for information or perspectives in breeding, know that genetics (health, athleticism, longevity etc) temperament (genetics as well) will be top priority.. Color, size, gender are last on the list as you will get that either way, but good breeding will begin with knowing how to pair to get the best out of the breed.. When size or color are mentioned first, even if in error or just as the first line of thought, it is bound to ruffle feathers because so many breed for color and size over the betterment of the breed..

Look forward to hearing more about your breeding plan and ideas.. The lines you would like to cross and the why behind it. Doesn't make it a right or wrong (although very experienced breeders may add their perspective to help). But it sounds like you want the best for the breed and that is good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page