Opinions on breeding my male GSD - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Everything I have read says that neutering has no impact on development. I'll be having my pup neutered next week simply because he is now just six months and already starting to hump everything
There is alot of research showing early neuter does have developmental consequences. To each their own, it's a personal decision we each make for our dogs, just important to get ALL the information possible.

Neutering may have zero impact on your dog's humping behaviour so don't be surprised if it continues. That's easily corrected without neutering, FYI. .. many females hump.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Everything I have read says that neutering has no impact on development. I'll be having my pup neutered next week simply because he is now just six months and already starting to hump everything
There's plenty of info that says otherwise. The body is a complete system with no unecessary parts. I have no problem with spay/neuter, I spayed my females at 6 months, knowing what I know now I wish I had waited until maturity.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
There's plenty of info that says otherwise. The body is a complete system with no unecessary parts. I have no problem with spay/neuter, I spayed my females at 6 months, knowing what I know now I wish I had waited until maturity.
I'm in exactly the same boat, with the same 6-month spay.

A little detail my vet neglected to mention until it became an issue: about 8% of spayed female dogs develop urinary incontinence (essentially dripping/leaking urine without any control over it). It's easily treated with cheap meds, but does require a blood test every 6-8 months to keep an eye on the white cell count (which may increase due to the meds and result in serious problems).

The more you know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Crowned Member

Both of my current dogs came from shelters. They were spayed/neutered EARLY! Because SHELTERS.

My male (hound mix) was 12 weeks when he was neutered. My female (shepherd) was 7 weeks when she was spayed. I would have opted for 6 months, but the choice wasn't mine. They are none the worse for wear. I don't expect any problems.

As for spay incontinence - Every bitch I have ever owned was spayed. My Annie was spayed and re-spayed, after the shelter messed up. None of my girls ever had spay incontinence.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Master Member

A good alternative to neutering is a canine vasectomy. This will leave your dog and his hormones intact, not interfering with his natural hormonal development.

Fallon (WLGS) b 5/23/14 & Mira (Aussie) b 8/31/04
RIP: Katie (Bel.Shp.Mix)-CGC; Shadow (WLGS); Monty (GSxAkita); CH. Windy Cityís Sweet Talker (Shannon);
Cheli; WC's Home Alone (Kevin); CH. WCís Dancing with Wolves (Tish); Ragnar-CGC; Tammy (GSmix)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I think you need to review your reading list and add to it. You missed some up to date information. Neutering early (before 2 yo) does impact development. The dog will be taller, thinner - genrally lankier. There's also info about skeletan development that says neutering may = problems. And info that says neutering = propensity to some forms of cancer.

I would hold off until the dog was at least two before I removed those items from his anatomy.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
There is alot of research showing early neuter does have developmental consequences. To each their own, it's a personal decision we each make for our dogs, just important to get ALL the information possible.

Neutering may have zero impact on your dog's humping behaviour so don't be surprised if it continues. That's easily corrected without neutering, FYI. .. many females hump.
I second that. None of my male dogs humped anything, most of my females have.

I own a 13 year old intact male, never had any issues with him and he has shared my home with any number of intact males and females over the years. Certainly won't be neutering him now.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 03:02 AM
Elite Member

Id breed the dog and neuter the pup , both great ideas.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Knighted Member

I will discuss it with my vet today. I thought it was pretty cut and dry. 6 months was the best time to neuter. Neutering before they started spraying everything, and no negative effects.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
I will discuss it with my vet today. I thought it was pretty cut and dry. 6 months was the best time to neuter. Neutering before they started spraying everything, and no negative effects.
Dogs don't spray, you have confused with cats.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page