Thinking about breeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about breeding

I have a gorgeous male gsd. I have thought about having his hips and elbows certified and breeding him. But I'm not sure what breeders look for exactly and I want if I were going to breed him I want to do it with a responsible breeder. Any suggestions or tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

This is my dog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150910_222243.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	317650  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Did you already read this?

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...flowchart.html

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

He looks like a puppy. You have a long time before you will need to consider breeding.

Most breeders that give a darn about the breed will have tested their females to make sure they are suitable for breeding. Testing not just for health, but for working ability and temperament. They will expect the same of the males they use.

I would find a club and go watch the training. Find out if you have the time to make the commitment to train and hopefully title your pup. Then join and get out there and do something with him. When he is 2, have his hips/elbows OFA'd (you can do prelims earlier so you don't waste your time with a pup that has problems) and also do his DM test (can be done anytime). Those would be the minimum health tests needed.

You are lucky to be in Indiana. There are several IPO clubs to choose from. Click on Clubs:
Region/Events | United Schutzhund Clubs of America

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

please give some serious thought to bringing more german shepherd dogs into the world. shelters are overflowing and good, healthy shepherds with no bad habits are dying in droves every single day. so many rescues are closing due to financial and emotional burn-out and there are fewer and fewer resources available to help these dogs. and if you do decide to breed then please screen potential guardians carefully and be willing to take the lives you're responsible for creating back to your home if things don't work out. I know you may think, "well what difference does one or two litters make", but the thing is...dog populations of almost all breeds, and particularly the popular breeds like the shepherd is, are totally out of control relative to the help that's available to the ones who are not cared for or thrown away. I know you love your dog and think he's beautiful and I mean no disrespect to you with this post. I just feel that everyone must be made aware of the heartbreaking problem of all these sad faces and empty eyes in shelters across the country, and all the serious health issues created by people breeding dogs without the knowledge of the terrible problem they're helping to create. please give this serious thought. thanks.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
please give some serious thought to bringing more german shepherd dogs into the world. shelters are overflowing and good, healthy shepherds with no bad habits are dying in droves every single day. so many rescues are closing due to financial and emotional burn-out and there are fewer and fewer resources available to help these dogs. and if you do decide to breed then please screen potential guardians carefully and be willing to take the lives you're responsible for creating back to your home if things don't work out. I know you may think, "well what difference does one or two litters make", but the thing is...dog populations of almost all breeds, and particularly the popular breeds like the shepherd is, are totally out of control relative to the help that's available to the ones who are not cared for or thrown away. I know you love your dog and think he's beautiful and I mean no disrespect to you with this post. I just feel that everyone must be made aware of the heartbreaking problem of all these sad faces and empty eyes in shelters across the country, and all the serious health issues created by people breeding dogs without the knowledge of the terrible problem they're helping to create. please give this serious thought. thanks.

Eloquently put. *thumbs up*
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Knighted Member

I have a gorgeous male as well but that doesn't mean they should be bred, looks are very low on the totem pole when it comes to selecting a breeding candidate. The dog looks like a baby and they should not be bred until they are at least two years old, so at this point you have no idea what his temperament and work ability will end up like because they can change as they mature.

Most responsible breeders will not only want to see hips and elbows but they will also want to see working titles in bite sports like IPO. I understand we love our dogs, I wish I could clone my male a thousand times over but breeding him would not guarantee me another like him. My opinion is that there are so many breeders already doing wonderful things for this breed and producing great dogs that the average joe really should not be breeding and contributing to the dog population when we really do not need more.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Knighted Member

What is his pedigree?

Ash

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate everyone's advice and concerns! I am a huge adopter and have always resorted to that. (Sarge is my only purchased dog).

I am not attempting to be an "average Joe" breeder, I am trying to be a responsible one-time breeder and get advice. I understand that he cannot be bred yet, that his temperament will alter as he matures, that he will need to have hips and elbows certified, and it isn't about looks. I am not trying to add to the overpopulation either. My family and I have had a traumatic past with the breed (rescues) and Sarge has changed our outlook considerably for the positive.

Again, thank you all for the advice. It has been heard and I will take it into consideration as we continue to learn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page