Breeding An Old German Shepherd - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Actually, assuming she's still going into heat, that's nature saying "breed me." If the dog didn't want to be bred, she wouldn't go into heat.

You seem to know a lot about how this dog feels without actually meeting her.
You really gave me a good laugh. Lol. She wouldn't go into heat if she didn't want to have puppies? That's like saying a female wouldn't get her period if she didn't want to get pregnant. Lol. It's basic biology. Female animals/ species don't really have a choice on coming into heat/periods/ whatever else you call it for other animals. Unless there is some odd and rare species I don't know about that can choose to come into heat? Lol this was a good read though. Thanks :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
You really gave me a good laugh. Lol. She wouldn't go into heat if she didn't want to have puppies? That's like saying a female wouldn't get her period if she didn't want to get pregnant. Lol. It's basic biology. Female animals/ species don't really have a choice on coming into heat/periods/ whatever else you call it for other animals. Unless there is some odd and rare species I don't know about that can choose to come into heat? Lol this was a good read though. Thanks :-)

I agree that the dog should not be bred at this age.

But I disagree in regards to what I quoted. Humans go through menopause. It's the bodies way of telling us no more kids.

Now that dogs are living longer, I have seen many that stop having heat cycles. Same thing. While the person/dog is not in control of there fertility, the body does know.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #43 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Can't help myself.
LOL Gator. You crack me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned

You know what... I was just thinking about what martemchik said and... I mean, can bitches really choose to come into heat if they want to get pregnant that bad? Lol... I might be really ignorant on this. Maybe this is why I feel so against this/ breeding because I always thought, dogs don't necessarily want this, it's just what humans want, BUT!!! if a dog CHOOSES to go into heat because she really wants to be pregnant then shoot! I STAND corrected! I will apologize to everyone supporting breeders and go on about my merry way and just focus on other threads. I just sincerely, honestly, have NeVER heard of this phenomena !?,I didn't know bitches could choose this. That's kind of amazing! Haha! You learn something new everyday! Female humans got the short end of the stick :-(
post #45 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I agree that the dog should not be bred at this age.

But I disagree in regards to what I quoted. Humans go through menopause. It's the bodies way of telling us no more kids.

Now that dogs are living longer, I have seen many that stop having heat cycles. Same thing. While the person/dog is not in control of there fertility, the body does know.
I agree that our err biological clock does know. However, menopause is something human females can't control. We will go through menopause at some point and we don't really have a choice. I mean we could take hormones and stuff to stay young, hot, and fresh and keep dippin' it and doin' it lol, but eventually we will all go through it. I'm not sure if it is the same for dogs?
post #46 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Crowned Member

Against breeding? Then why do you have a purebred dog?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #47 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Having puppies is natural. Bitches will breed to dogs given the opportunity and get pregnant on every heat cycle, if they are healthy and not restrained.

Their reproductive cycle goes through the same process whether they get pregnant or not, which is not quite the same for humans. The progesterone hits their parts and does a number on them whether or not they are bred. Sometimes false pregnancies are so like to the real thing that the bitch has milk and goes into a false labor.

With excellent nutrition and good longevity in the lines, a bitch can be quite young at eight, while another is losing a step at five or six. It depends on the bitch.

Really the whelping process is hard. It is the only discomfort the bitch goes through. And by the next day, she is generally back to herself. Once the puppy is out, you wouldn't know she was in any pain at all, save occasional tearing up of papers. Whelping can be dangerous. But most bitches make it through whelping fine, even the older bitches.

With a c-section, there is pain from the surgery, and the puppies will be right down there digging where the stitches are. That is tougher on a bitch than natural birth.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #48 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Against breeding? Then why do you have a purebred dog?
Because I rescued him?. Or I guess I could have just left him wasting away, starving, in someone's backyard the rest of his life? I think not... I have rescued other dog breeds... This dog is a gsd. And what? If there were no more gsd's in the world, I would move on to the next breed of dog that needs help. There will always be dogs that need help. Good question though!! Thanks sunflower :-)
post #49 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Having puppies is natural. Bitches will breed to dogs given the opportunity and get pregnant on every heat cycle, if they are healthy and not restrained.

Their reproductive cycle goes through the same process whether they get pregnant or not, which is not quite the same for humans. The progesterone hits their parts and does a number on them whether or not they are bred. Sometimes false pregnancies are so like to the real thing that the bitch has milk and goes into a false labor.

With excellent nutrition and good longevity in the lines, a bitch can be quite young at eight, while another is losing a step at five or six. It depends on the bitch.

Really the whelping process is hard. It is the only discomfort the bitch goes through. And by the next day, she is generally back to herself. Once the puppy is out, you wouldn't know she was in any pain at all, save occasional tearing up of papers. Whelping can be dangerous. But most bitches make it through whelping fine, even the older bitches.

With a c-section, there is pain from the surgery, and the puppies will be right down there digging where the stitches are. That is tougher on a bitch than natural birth.
Thank you for the explanation. What I really want to know is, do bitches choose to go into heat because they like/want to be pregnant? And by the same token, can they choose to not go into heat if they don't like being pregnant? That statement martemchik posted really was so thought provoking!! I never even knew it was a possibility for females of any species to choose to go into heat? I think people have sort of answered this? But it just didn't seem like a direct/ literal yes or no answer so Im still unsure?
post #50 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
Thank you for the explanation. What I really want to know is, do bitches choose to go into heat because they like/want to be pregnant? And by the same token, can they choose to not go into heat if they don't like being pregnant? That statement martemchik posted really was so thought provoking!! I never even knew it was a possibility for females of any species to choose to go into heat? I think people have sort of answered this? But it just didn't seem like a direct/ literal yes or no answer so Im still unsure?
If a bitch is healthy, she will go into heat. I have not known any to not go into heat due to age, but I believe that could be a possibility. If she is healthy and is bred when in standing heat she will probably become pregnant.

A bitch's instinct is to breed when she is in standing heat. I do not know how she can possibly connect that to the whelping process or having puppies. But her instinct will also drive her to clean and care for her puppies, some are much better than others.

Some bitches can be excellent dams, but will be ready for their pups to go home at eight weeks. Others take motherhood to a whole other level. They play with their puppies and they enjoy their company, long after the eight weeks. This is not just instincts, but preference. Dogs are complex critters with instincts, preferences, who can create and maintain strong bonds with creatures of other species. They can be trained, and trained to disobey if it is unsafe (seeing eye dogs). They have both choices and instinct, preference and instinct, training and instinct. The great lie is that bitches suffer through motherhood, and are forced to be bred, forced to have puppies, forced to raise puppies as though it is some terrible, awful ordeal. There are many things we subject dogs to that are far more irritating, frustrating, stressful than having a litter of pups. Like cramping them into a crate all day, or taking some dogs to the vet. I have never had a bitch loose a tooth over having a litter of puppies, but I have had a bitch break a tooth trying to get out of a crate.

I don't believe bitches need to be bred to be complete. But breeding bitches is not some evil thing, not to the bitch herself. It could be bad for the breed, if you are breeding poor temperament or health, and it may be bad for pet population. But it is not bad for the bitch. That is simply a lie.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page