Breeding An Old German Shepherd - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

If the health checks are clear and you are going to breed her- it is a good idea to notify your vet of possible c-section as a backup plan if there are any complications. Make sure your vet or a vet will be around in the days close to her due date- in case if needed you will know where to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Even for an older bitch, it is better not to need a c-section. I think I would just wait until day 56 or so and get an x-ray to ensure that we have a regular sized litter, not just one or two huge puppies. Also having an accurate count of the pups in there, can help you know whether or not she is done. When they are older, they may get tired out sooner, and if a pup doesn't show up, that can be fatal. Also, I would make sure the gal gets regular exercise, and plenty of healthy food to give her the stamina she will need to get through whelping.

Keep vanilla ice cream, carnation condensed milk on hand to give her a boost in the middle of the process, maybe a couple of boosts.

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #33 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned

This is super ridiculous, I mean... OP why? Like why do you want to breed an 8 year old dog? What is your purpose? What is it like is it the money? Is it because she is some super spectacular show or protection sport champion that you feel the need to pass down her genes? Everyone else, can shut it. I don't want anyone else's responses, I just want to hear from the OP. That's all. OP: Dogs shouldn't have to go through all of this for our pleasure or our finances. Dogs never asked to be forced to be bred at 8 years old. I doubt she wants this. How about just love her and care for her in her old age and let her be. Darnn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

My female's dam was 8 when she had her last litter. 8 puppies and a healthy delivery.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
My female's dam was 8 when she had her last litter. 8 puppies and a healthy delivery.
Troublemaker.
post #36 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

If she's been bred before, it's a different scenario than breeding for the very first time at that age, but still not sure why the OP would come here and ask. If you're going to do it and you think it's fine, then why ask. I've seen and heard of dogs bred even older and been OK, but they were already experienced brood bitches being bred by very experienced breeders (experienced as in having bred or helped whelp dozens of litters, seen just about everything there is to see and know what to do when things go wrong and how to recognize trouble). It's not a black and white thing, but the decision depends on way more than just a general question/vague information so I'm guessing the majority of this board are going to err on the side of caution and say no.
post #37 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
This is super ridiculous, I mean... OP why? Like why do you want to breed an 8 year old dog? What is your purpose? What is it like is it the money? Is it because she is some super spectacular show or protection sport champion that you feel the need to pass down her genes? Everyone else, can shut it. I don't want anyone else's responses, I just want to hear from the OP. That's all. OP: Dogs shouldn't have to go through all of this for our pleasure or our finances. Dogs never asked to be forced to be bred at 8 years old. I doubt she wants this. How about just love her and care for her in her old age and let her be. Darnn!

Actually, assuming she's still going into heat, that's nature saying "breed me." If the dog didn't want to be bred, she wouldn't go into heat.

You seem to know a lot about how this dog feels without actually meeting her.
post #38 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Troublemaker.

Can't help myself.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post

Whether or not you want our responses, you are going to get them, this is the nature of posting on a forum. If you just want to have the OP respond, send a PM, and from your tone, I doubt it will be answered.

What do you really know about it? Are you a breeder? Do you know how much some bitches truly LOVE to mother their puppies? Do you know? Have you been there? Have you bred an eight year old bitch and found she had trouble with it? Do you know that bitches are just as eager to be bred as dogs are to mate with them? Do you know? What do you know really? Are you a breeder? Because if you aren't then you really don't know what a healthy eight year old bitch is capable of in that area.

Jenna is 9.5 years old in April. I have chosen not to breed her again. Her puppies are a year old in April. She is still happy to share everything with the two young bitches. She is a super mother and it is hard to not breed her because of how much actual enjoyment she gets with her puppies. She loves young pups. If I ever had a orphaned litter, I would use her even if she could not provide milk for them.

I have heard of a ten year old bitch who had 10 healthy puppies. This is NOT like a 70 year old lady having a 10 pound baby. It is not comparable. 63 days of pregnancy is not comparable to 9 months. 2 months of taking care of the babies is not comparable to 2-30 years of taking care of them. We freak out because the only comparison we have is with humans, but dogs have none of the stress that humans go through. They have stress and whelping a litter can be stressful, but it just isn't in comparison to what humans go through to have babies. It is comparing apples to oranges and as my pre-cal/trig teach drummed into our heads so many years ago, ya just can't do that.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #40 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Ummm...I think we were ordered to "shut it". Rebel!

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page