Breeding An Old German Shepherd - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Crowned Member

Well stated WolfyDog.

Though I think there are some minimum standards which most could agree on, the rest is very subjective and really open to free market influences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

If the OP isn't just a whelp wanting to stir the pot, then he has gotten his answer and is long gone.

8 years old is not too old to produce a litter, but having a first litter at 8 is way too risky. The problem is, that she can and probably WILL get pregnant if she is given the opportunity.

It is then, that you have to decide whether to spay abort, or try to let her go through with it. And the chances of complications skyrocket after the age of 5 or 6 for first-time litters. A large-breed bitch is closing into geriatric at this point, and the chances that she will not have the required stamina to produce a litter, the chances are very good that it will be very small, meaning much larger puppies, labor may not start, my start and stop, and she may not be able to push the large pups out.

Possible C-section. Will the instincts of motherhood kick in as strongly in an older bitch? Maybe. If she did not have them naturally? Maybe. Will she bounce back from a c-section? Maybe -- lots of maybes.

What you have to really ask yourself is whether you have the stamina to raise a litter if the bitch rejects them or is lost in the process. If you are ok with that, well, no one here is going to condone what you are doing. Read up on the process and pay special attention to when to call in the vet and get your bitch help if she is having trouble.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

She has been bred several times. And she turns 9 this June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Then it depends on the bitch and her current health.

I got a litter of seven out of Jenna 11 months ago. She will be 10 in August. She delivered naturally, and had no problems. Her previous litter turned 2 January 29. She is an excellent dam and has never had a still born pup, nor has she lost one after birth.

She is retired now, only because she is 9.5 years.

It will depend on your bitch.

If she hasn't had a litter for a number of years, that also can be an issue, like, if she had a litter at 2 and 3 and now 5 years later you want a last litter out of her, that would be harder on her than if she had a litter each year. Also could be tougher for her to conceive.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

She had puppies last year and she looks great. I think I will breed her in the next 2-3 months.
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
How does one become reputable if the breeding is only left to the established reputable breeders? Are new people never allowed to breed?
i would think a starting a kennel/breeding program requires a bit of thought, some basic knowledge along with a basic plan. any one can get a male and female and bingo puppies will happen. what does he know about his females pedigree ? what parameters will be used when selecting the male? what traits is he looking for? is the op prepared to take back the pups if things go wrong? with the little info we have about the op, it is hard to advise this person.

Last edited by huntergreen; 03-19-2015 at 11:26 AM.
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Phrases like these have become cliches over time and don't mean anything and it feels like people are copying them without really knowing what it means. There is not a definite standard for "reputable" because it is subjective.

If we would only go to experienced breeders, we will lose the breed in the next few (human) generations.
you are correct of course, but i would think there is a minimum amount of knowledge required before one intentionally breeds a dog. otherwise we should just start supporting the local pet shop.
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i would think a starting a kennel/breeding program requires a bit of thought, some basic knowledge along with a basic plan. any one can get a male and female and bingo puppies will happen. what does he know about his females pedigree ? what parameters will be used when selecting the male? what traits is he looking for? is the op prepared to take back the pups if things go wrong? with the little info we have about the op, it is hard to advise this person.
But then why not ask those questions?

Instead, someone who has just as much limited experience with the breed, absolutely no experience breeding dogs, doesn't have any idea what titling a dog means, and probably has never discussed with a real life breeder what they take into consideration when they're breeding dogs, makes a statement about what someone else should do when they're breeding dogs? "Leave it to the professionals." It's just not necessary to even make that statement in the first place.

Look at yourself in the mirror first before telling others what they should be doing with their dogs, especially when you have extremely limited information coming from a short post on the internet.
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerfraser View Post
She had puppies last year and she looks great. I think I will breed her in the next 2-3 months.
If you are really firm on this decision I would get a really good vet check done, complete with blood work to make sure she is able to deliver a healthy litter. Tell your vet that you have a planned breeding so he/she will look for the appropriate things. I assume you have done your homework on hips, etc for the sire you have planned. Eight is no longer a young dog so be prepared to help with the litter, possibly bottle feeding, cleaning the pups, etc. She may need more help as the pups get older too as she will get tired of being pulled at and nipped by those sharp little puppy teeth. It isn't an easy job but if you know what you are looking at going into it then you will be more prepared.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

If I were to breed my dog, I would only do so after all the health checks and with the consent of her breeder, let him find the match and go from there under his supervision. By then I will be a new breeder with knowledge on how to raise good pups (physically and mentally sound), which would mean to me "reputable", even though it would be my first bred litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page