Breeding An Old German Shepherd - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Banned

Aside from the obvious reasons, do you know what you are doing as far as breeding? Not trying to offend, I just don't know your background? Do you have decades of experience and have successfully bred gsd's for the betterment of the breed and have you had them in dog sport, titled... I mean I'm just not sure if this would be your first time or if you are a long standing hobby breeder or what? Like I said, I don't know your background BUT if this would be your first time, I would stay away from it and leave it to the professionals, plus your dog is older, these are her golden years. Just love her and leave her be as far as the breeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBIElovesSAILOR View Post
Aside from the obvious reasons, do you know what you are doing as far as breeding? Not trying to offend, I just don't know your background? Do you have decades of experience and have successfully bred gsd's for the betterment of the breed and have you had them in dog sport, titled... I mean I'm just not sure if this would be your first time or if you are a long standing hobby breeder or what? Like I said, I don't know your background BUT if this would be your first time, I would stay away from it and leave it to the professionals, plus your dog is older, these are her golden years. Just love her and leave her be as far as the breeding.
So the prerequisite to breeding a litter of dogs...is decades of experience breeding dogs?
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
So the prerequisite to breeding a litter of dogs...is decades of experience breeding dogs?
No, but the ideal is that even if you hadn't raised a single litter before, you would do enough research to know that 8 years is too old/risky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

I would not breed an 8 year old for the first time, no.
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma1 View Post
No, but the ideal is that even if you hadn't raised a single litter before, you would do enough research to know that 8 years is too old/risky.
Thank you :-)
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
if this would be your first time, I would stay away from it and leave it to the professionals,
Every professional once was a newbie plus "professional"doesn't make it necessarily good. Puppy mills are also professional breeders, earning their money by producing dogs.
As soon as someone mentions the word "breeding" we get a flood of the well-known comments and questions on basically why they should forget about it.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 03-09-2015 at 03:21 PM.
post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Every professional once was a newbie plus "professional"doesn't make it necessarily good. Puppy mills are also professional breeders, earning their money by producing dogs.
As soon as someone mentions the word "breeding" we get a flood of the well-known comments and questions on basically why they should forget about it.
You are right about the professional word, and how even back yard and puppy mill breeders can be considered professional. In that case let me rephrase. "Leave it to the reputable breeders"
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are right about the professional word, and how even back yard and puppy mill breeders can be considered professional. In that case let me rephrase. "Leave it to the reputable breeders"

How does one become reputable if the breeding is only left to the established reputable breeders? Are new people never allowed to breed?
post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Knighted Member

Not if their breeding stock is 8 years old maybe.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
How does one become reputable if the breeding is only left to the established reputable breeders? Are new people never allowed to breed?
Phrases like these have become cliches over time and don't mean anything and it feels like people are copying them without really knowing what it means. There is not a definite standard for "reputable" because it is subjective.

If we would only go to experienced breeders, we will lose the breed in the next few (human) generations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page