What do professional GSD breeders look for? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

When buying (or considering to keep a pup if my male is used for breeding), I am looking for a pair that enhances the qualities I want. It's not as simple as one dog being to short and one being taller and them producing a correct height dog. You can't just expect each dog to make up for the other's shortcomings. IMO I'd rather look for breedings that are playing to the strengths of the combination and not trying to oversimplify correcting any faults. If I don't like a certain trait, I will only look for a puppy out of a breeding where neither parent shows that trait, not expect one to always balance out the other. For example, if I don't want a tall dog, then I look for litters where both parents are within standard and both are from lines that are a consistent size and produce a consistent size. If I want a lot of prey drive, I want that from both parents and the nerve to keep it in check. In some cases, the dogs will balance each other out but you can't assume that, you have to understand how their lines interact (or find a breeder who has this experience) to get what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Onyx - Absolutely. I just found the "temperment" test online today and with the help of a couple of friends I think I can do most of the test with her except the firing of the gun (wouldn't go over well here in the city) LOL. I would think maybe a short air horn noise could replace that. I think I will eliminate the aggression/protection part of the test (with stranger threatening). I don't want her to experience that right now and maybe never.

From what I can see so far she will pass with flying colors. She is cautious initially to a new situation or noise but only takes a few seconds to begin a thorough investigation of the thing or place. She hasn't shied away from anything or anyone so far. She is calm and very focused in new situations. She doesn't look to me often for reassurance. Loud traffic, trash truck etc doesn't phase her nor did the Xmas fireworks.

We are just starting to work on some initial tracking stuff but it's hard right now because of the slushy wet snow and puddles we have the last couple of weeks. Also, her attention span needs to develop a bit more. Using this time to get her into good house habits and basic commands.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Crowned Member

I think that we try to evaluate our dogs, and where they are weak, we choose a dog who is correct on that trait. For example, if you breed a dog with extreme angulation to a dog with no angulation you will probably get everything, including worse than you started with. Instead, breed to a dog whose angulation is correct, and then choose the pup who is likely to have the most correct angulation and breed to another dog that is correct.

But dogs are not about one trait. You want to find a dog that complements your bitch. And, looking back in the lines, you might find that some dogs improve certain traits, and some tend to produce certain issues. What you want to do is to look at what the dogs produce as well as what the dog looks like.
River-Otter likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you - I understand what you are explaining. It sounds as though you count very heavily on the parents strengths and the 2nd or 3rd gen or more back may not be of major concern as long as there is consistency in the strengths you are looking for and no major faults? This may a painfully stupid question but I'm trying to get a clue on the weight the line further back in time plays.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Seizer - All makes sense. As far as going back in the lines to see what traits are strong and what faults a line produces, how can the person who is not deeply immersed in the GSD breeding society ever hope to attain true facts on any problems or undesired quality in a line?

I looked at the German breeding comments and they leave a very thorough record of problems in a line and breeding recommendations. Is there any source that one can consult that carries similar information or do we have to take a breeders word for it?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

When breeders talk about testing their dogs, they are not talking about a basic temperament test. They are talking about years of training and working the dogs in various areas so as to learn as much about the character, nerves, drives, and physical soundness of their dogs or at least that is what they should be talking about.

As a breeder I look at my female (phenotype) and her pedigree (genotype) and find a male that compliments both, especially the latter. I look at the dogs' working ability, the drives needed for work, her nerve in all situations, etc, plus also want sound working GSD structure (after all I am breeding GSD).

For example, my current litter I have been working mom for 3.5 years. I know her very well. Worked her mother, worked her grandmother, working her 1/2 sister, worked her 1/2 brother, working her niece, trained with her full brother and several 1/2 siblings and her uncle. I also know her sire and his sister personally, her mother's sire and the parents of her grandmother. The male I bred her to I have known since he was a baby. Saw him trial, trained with him, trained with his mother and his full sister, several nieces and nephews and 1/2 siblings. I also know the lines well behind his sire even though I never met his sire.

My next litter is a 1/2 sister to the female above. I have been working her for almost 6 years and am working a daughter. The male I am considering I have trained with, but I don't know some of his lines as well so had to go to outside sources to get more information. I know his phenotype will fit very well with my bitch, but had to find out how his genotype will fit. This is what any breeder should be looking at.

BTW, most of the breeders on this site are hobbyist. Professional makes it sound like we are making a living off of our dogs. Far from it.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks Lisa - This is what I was originally thinking, that it's difficult average person not very immersed in the GSD world to make an educated decision about rather to breed their dog or not and if the pair is a good match. The breeder I got my female from wants to see her at 2+ years.

She also has 3 generations of one specific line she has been working with. She does not have experience beyond her dogs though. She breeds for family pets with focus on health and medium drive
Our community is rural and 99% of the people here are looking for a pet, many would have problems with any high drive dog. Very few could ever afford to get involved in any of the competitions showing or training and they don't need that capacity in their pet. So, I was wanting to learn more so I could be informed enough to do what is in the best interest of my dog and the breed.

I know that there are some who feel that if you are not going to breed to achieve a litter that could compete or show with the best of them, than you should not breed at all. In my world, the family pet GSD is 99% of all ownerships I know.

My breeder has a special interest in my pup because she may not be able to carry on the bloodline otherwise. Her foundation male was injured in a horse accident and can no longer be used for breeding and the Dam is aging out. That is why I want to be extra careful on any decision. It will be what is best for my pup first.

The explanations have been helpful and a good start.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 PM

Stonevintage - if you want to expose your pup to gun fire, you could take her to the AKC training facility. It's located next to the fire range off of Atlas and Kathleen in Coeur d'Alene. I was just there this afternoon. Very busy, even in the winter.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks neighbor! I'm in the process of deciding what Summer needs for her life with me.The post you picked up on about the gun thing was pertaining to the standard temperament test. This was for my inquiry of what breeders look for. The breeder I got my pup from expressed interest on breeding back (she was pick of the litter) and my vet says she is outstanding in type.

From the responses I've received so far, I will not be breeding her and will not need to "prove" her temperament (which is where the gun range came in).

Thank you for the info though. I didn't know where the AKC place was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page