Pre-breeding health testing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Pre-breeding health testing

Hi guys, its been a while. I think I may finally be looking to breed on this next heat in the fall. I can fit one more trial in, but its going to be cutting it close. She'll likely be in heat for that trial. So, it would be ideal to get everything done prior to the trial early Oct. Cues is a bit older for a first litter, so it's really not ideal. I do yearly CBC, CMP (chem 12). I was going to add a thyroid and tick panel as well.
I was going to do an AI this past Spring, but the DM test of the stud wasn't what I needed. I had an appointment with a repro vet, so I cancelled when the breeding was off. Can a manual exam be done only when the bitch is in heat, or can it be done before?
So, I think I have everything covered blood work wise, my big question is the manual exam. My regular vet does no repro work, so I would have to go to the actual repro vet. It makes no sense to bring her in early, if it can't be done.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09

Last edited by cindy_s; 08-06-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Crowned Member

What manual exam are you planning? I don't understand what test you are asking about? For a stricture? For a uterine scope?

Dr. Dove in VA is recommended by alot of people and he scopes and does transcervical AI....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

You're right, she is older for a first breeding, and that can make the risk of complications much higher. I think you should call your repro-vet, explain the age of the bitch and that she has not yet been bred, when she is likely to be in heat, and when you should bring her in.

If they were doing an AI, then the actual surgical AI, might be best, as they could check for cysts, and possible issues.

I hope all goes well for you. I am curious why you have waited for her to be 5 years old before breeding. Both Arwen and Jenna were 4 when they had their first litters, and neither had trouble with it, so it may be just fine. I just have heard that it is harder the longer you wait for that first litter. I have even heard that there are some type of drops you can give a bitch to preserve the equipment until after the show-career is over.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yes Lee. A manual for strictures. I'm not sure how common it is in the breed, but I'd like to make sure all was OK. I'll probably end up doing AI, but if I don't, I'd like to know it isn't a problem.

I've waited because of trials. I did plan on doing a breeding with imported semen this last Spring, but the stud's DM test isn't what I needed. I'm glad it work out that way. She did well this Spring.

Cinzar's Dark Shadow Too (Ruger) CGC, RN 1/8/05
SG Quinn Z Old Farm (Cues) IPO 3, KKL 6/7/09
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

Wishing you the best in your upcoming endeavor. I look forward to see Cues with pups and then watch their progress. She is a great girl! Wait will be worth it

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Jane. I'm praying for Karlo's full recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page