Trainer really wants to breed our female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Trainer really wants to breed our female

We have been going to a private trainer for about 3 weeks now. The trainer was recommending by a really good friend that has been using her for years. She has 4 beautiful GSDís of her own and specializes in GSD but offers training for most breeds. Our first training session went very well; the trainer had nothing but nice things to say about our little girl. Well my wife went to another training session but this one was with other puppies around the same age, works on obedience around distractions but is mainly for socializing and puppy play time. Anyways after our first class the trainer wanted to look at Ridleyís pedigree, so my wife brought it today and after the class the trainer took a look at it. Not exactly sure what was said but the trainer is really interested in breeding her. We are going to talk about it a little more when we can both be there but I had never thought about breeding before. I know itís an extreme time commitment but just wanted to see what other people here had to say about it. I obviously donít have enough GSD experience to breed her on my own, thatís where the trainer would come in, and she has worked with GSD for over 15 years. Iím not saying itís a 100% for sure thing yet, like I said there is gonna have to be a long discussion with our trainer before we truly consider it. But if we could bring other people as much joy as Ridley has brought us, it something I would like to look into. I know there is a lot of ďBackyard BreedersĒ and unethical breeding going on with this breed and I want nothing to do with that. So lets hear it, experienceís, pros, cons, advise, anything, I wanna hear it all so I am a little more informed before we have this discussion with the trainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I would just suggest that you title and health test her first. Before breeding her. Ask the trainer WHY she wants to breed her, what would you get, who would responsible for the bills, who would choose the homes, who would be responsible for honoring the guarantee???

I have said my peace and will now go pop popcorn and watch this unfold.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I would just suggest that you title and health test her first. Before breeding her. Ask the trainer WHY she wants to breed her, what would you get, who would responsible for the bills, who would choose the homes, who would be responsible for honoring the guarantee???

I have said my peace and will now go pop popcorn and watch this unfold.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lol I really hope that doesnít happen again. Iím gonna start a list of questions to ask the trainer when we talk about it. Iíll ask her all of the above questions. Just wanna have a full understanding before saying yes or no. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Banned

just the fact that the trainer looked at a puppy's pedigree and wanted to breed makes me say a definite no. you dont breed dogs based off a piece of paper. you also shouldnt breed dogs just from watching a puppy play. your dog can grow up to be super impressive or it can grow up to be a total dud. hard to tell just from watching a pup.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with gsdsar....and knowing how to match the pedigree is very important. Just because a young dog may look great, does this trainer know which stud she'd select to mesh with your girls pedigree(since she did ask to see it)
Three weeks in doesn't really give enough information to form such an opinion.
FWIW...a fb friend recently posted how fed up she is with all the BYBs and people looking for cheap dogs. She recently moved to Bend and is a responsible breeder, and is not impressed with the locals and how they choose their dogs. Maybe your trainer is seeing dogs with less than stellar temperaments and wants to do better?
But don't rush into anything! Learn for the next couple yrs while your girl matures and gains titles...then you can decide whether or not to risk breeding her.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Elite Member

ALright, you should probably buckle up and hold on tight...this is going to be a bumpy ride....your pup is about three months old, right?? I would be RUNNING from a trainer that thinks a pedigree and what a pup looks like at 3 months old is enough to *know you want to breed...ugh...makes me sick..shame on the trainer...for shame. There is a thread right now of a lady who lost her female during labor and had to give all 12 puppies (I think she lost one or two) to the shelter because her and the family could not handle it.

Your pup is from shameless hearts, here in Wa right? Those lines are about 2/3 generations of pets...not sure what in the pedigree gave the trainer some "wow" factor. Okay....shutting up now....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
ALright, you should probably buckle up and hold on tight...this is going to be a bumpy ride....your pup is about three months old, right?? I would be RUNNING from a trainer that thinks a pedigree and what a pup looks like at 3 months old is enough to *know you want to breed...ugh...makes me sick..shame on the trainer...for shame. There is a thread right now of a lady who lost her female during labor and had to give all 12 puppies (I think she lost one or two) to the shelter because her and the family could not handle it.

Your pup is from shameless hearts, here in Wa right? Those lines are about 2/3 generations of pets...not sure what in the pedigree gave the trainer some "wow" factor. Okay....shutting up now....
Hahaha Yeah I thought this might be a bumpy ride but I also wanna be informed. I donít know exactly what was said today but from our other visits the breeder was impressed with her temperament, looks, trainability and her drive. Her drive and temperament was the main thing she liked, I think. haha Yes she is from Shameless Hearts, I donít know what she saw in the pedigree that gave her the idea. From what my wife told me, the trainer asked her if we were sure we wanted to fix her and if we had thought about breeding at all. It doesnít sound like she was jumping all over my wife to breed her. She did say she has a stud that she thinks would be a good match. We will have to talk about it with the trainer and ask all these questions to get a better idea of what kind of breeding she wants to do, because I donít want anything to do with BYB or less then excellent breeding. I donít want to breed and cause someone heartache because the breeding was bad.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

Train, title, OFA, etc. FIRST, then you can think about possible breeding. Talking about breeding a pup at this stage is putting the cart before the horse, IMO, and your trainer should know better than that. If he really likes her pedigree, let her live up to her genetic potential first.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Just so you know, A female shouldn't be bred til at least after her third heat, which would make her at least 21 months - 2 years old.

If your trainer is wanting to breed any earlier then she is really not caring about the well being of your dog and just thinking about making some money of her.

She is probably just thinking of making some money any ways but who knows.

You should research what it takes to be a responsible breeder and how much money all the testing costs and the possible health issues and cost of rearing pups and responsibility if they have any issues. You should also see if your female is healthy and doesn't carry any genetic issues, temperament wise or health wise.

Basically it is unprofessional of your trainer to want to talk about this with you so early. She is setting you up to be a Byb.

This is your pet so do you want her having complications giving birth. Wait it out and in a few years the option to bred will still be there providing you keep her intact.

Learn about breeding and you can simply choose a suitable male for your female when you feel like it. I'd wait til the dog is over 3 years of age.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

any trainer/breeder that looks at a 12-16 week pup and thinks it has breeding potential either has absolutely no idea what they're doing or they only care about profits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page