Where to start if considering breeding a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Where to start if considering breeding a puppy?

Title is fairly self-explainatory. I got a quality german imported dog from a local breeder, who is about 6 months old atm. Ultimately, I want to get a female dog as well to keep him company, but probably not for another year at least.

Additionally, my parents and brothers are likely to be at a point in the next 2-3 years where they would probably like a german shepherd puppy of their own, so it occurs to me that breeding mine might be nice for my family.

So, what are the basics of breeding? How old do they have to be? I imagine they'd both have to be 2 years old in order to make sure their hips check out. How can I tell if they are match, genetically? Is this sort of thing generally considered to be a "good idea"?

When the puppies are born, how much human attention do they need, or how much time would one have to take off work? How much does it cost to get a puppy through the whelping stage to the point when they can be gifted / sold? (Things like shots, vet bills, etc).

It's more of a fun idea than anything at this point, but one that isn't totally out of the question. If someone has tried this before, and found it to be a really bad experience, I'd like to know.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Did you read this sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum? https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...flowchart.html

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Did you read this sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum? https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...flowchart.html
I did see that, but I couldn't view the flowchart for some reason. That, or I couldn't find the attachment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The image is in the very first post on the thread. Here it is again:

There are also lots of other threads in this sub-forum by people in your situation, have you scanned through any of those? Most of the advice would be the same.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Still cannot see it. Maybe it's the computer. Is it actually helpful, or is it a fancy way of saying "No"? Some responses from that thread were a bit critical of it.

I don't have long term plans to become a professional breeder. It's a cute idea, but I know a pipe dream when I see one. I'm just looking to perhaps breed some pups once for my extended family. If it goes well, then it goes well, but that's all I'm considering at the moment.

Last edited by Pattyobrien3; 07-02-2013 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyobrien3 View Post
Is it actually helpful, or is it a fancy way of saying "No"?
I think it's pretty helpful.

There are certainly things you can nitpick about it, but IMO the guidelines are very good and useful as a general checklist of things to consider. While individual dogs and breeders might choose to make exceptions on specific points, it's well worth thinking about why those exceptions are being made and whether they are truly warranted.

And for the most part, the flowchart's requirements are not unreasonable. The standards are high but not impossibly so; they're the same things that I'd use as a basic filter when looking to buy a puppy. They certainly do not operate as a functional equivalent to "No."

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Master Member

Its not a fancy way of saying no and people who get snarky about it do so because there are something like 10 million dogs killed every year because of back yard breeders (byb) and/or improper care. There are tons of non profits around who save these breeds every day and many of us volunteer with them.

If you dont know for sure all of the answers ie, your dog is only 6 months and you are still working on things then maybe you just dont get her fixed yet and are VERY CAREFUL during her heat. That is what I am doing until I know if my Lulu will qualify as a breeding bitch.

Now what it says is,

Is your dog registered with a reputable club ie AKC, UKC, CanKC, FCI? If yes move on to next question if not DO NOT BREED..

Where did you get your dog? A) From a reputable breeder (one who follows the guidlines of this chart or B)Petstore, newspaper, internet, rescue or shelter?
If A move on to next question
If B DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Does your dogs purchase contract allow for breeding. If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Do you have 3-5 generation pedigree on your dog? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Does your dogs pedigree contain at least 4 dogs with working, conformation, agility, or obedience titles in the last two generations? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Does your dog have a stable temperament, one appropriate to the breed? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Has your dog been judged by outside impartial observers as physically conforming to the breed standard? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Has your dog been certified as physically sound by OFA PennHIP, CERF and free of genetic problems common to the breed? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Are you emotionally and financially prepared for all of the things that can and DO go wrong before during and after whelping? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

Will you sell your dogs on contract and be able to take back any dog for any reason at any time through its entire life? If yes move on to next question. If no DO NOT BREED YOUR DOG.

If you are here your dog MAY BE breeding quality. If you are not showing or working your dog, please consider why you are breeding your dog. Breeding carries huge responsibilities. You should only breed if you intend to improve the breed. Do not breed if you just want a puppy or think you will make money. If done correctly you will not make any money on raising puppies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC

Last edited by Narny; 07-02-2013 at 06:26 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
people who get snarky about it do so because there are something like 10 million dogs killed every year because of back yard breeders (byb) and/or improper care. There are tons of non profits around who save these breeds every day and many of us volunteer with them.
I read to fast of the previous comment and posted this based on what I THOUGHT it said.

Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lulu) Selma Zet Eurosportu CA CGC
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM

Perfectly put Narny!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

You'll find that not too many people will approve of this kind of breeding plan on this forum. Mostly because you don't really have any idea what you're doing, and getting two puppies and expecting to breed them is probably the biggest mistake many people make. You then get emotionally connected to those dogs, don't look at them objectively, and if there are issues...you'll probably look past them because you have invested so much time and money into the dogs that you'll want to breed them anyways.

The other problem is that you'll be surprised how quickly your family backs out of a puppy when they realize what comes along with it. Everyone loves your dog now, they love to play with it when they're around, but they really don't want the responsibility of raising one for the next decade. Then there's the fact that you might end up with 10 puppies and 3 family members wanting pups. What do you do with the other 7? Sell them to people just like you who have dreams of breeding a dog just once? See how quickly this spirals out of control?

The truly responsible/serious GSD owners, won't even consider buying your pups. So they'll more than likely end up in questionable homes with owners who have questionable levels of commitment to those dogs. Do you really want that?

It will also probably take you way more than $1000 to raise a litter of puppies. Which is what your family could reasonably expect to spend on a well-bred dog. I'd just suggest that they go to the breeder you went through if they really love the way your dog is. The likelihood that the breeder is breeding similar or related dogs is very high.

Just thought of another thing...what if you breed the dogs, give them to family members, and those pups end up having issues (physical or temperamental). I just wouldn't really want to deal with family that keeps looking at me as its my fault they just spent $5000 on a hip replacement, or ended up with an aggressive dog that they can't let out of the kennel when people come over, or a fearful dog that snaps at anything that moves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page