Thinking of becoming a breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thinking of becoming a breeder

Over the last couple weeks my GF and I have been talking about starting our own breeding program. The more threads I see on here about how the GSD is not what it's supposed to be, makes me want to do it more. I'm thinking once I retire my current dog from sport I will get my foundation started. I'm excited for what the future may hold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Crowned Member

@ Mycobraracr.....I have been in this breed for a long time and bred my first litter of knowledge in 1975. If the breed was in the same state as it was then and I was younger and know what I know now....I would go for it. But the status of the breed today makes it very difficult to breed successful GS in line with what fairly represents the breed. The proliferation of specific lines created out of backmassing of the gene pool, make the task of breeding very daunting to say the least. The onset of many more health issues often derived from these breeding practices, also make breeding very difficult today. Is it possible....sure! Many things are possible but not plausible. I wish you the best if you decide to do this, but I feel sad that you have to attempt to breed through the mess the breed has become today.
This Mycobraracr, is being said from a breeders perspective, and does NOT reflect ANYTHING negative about pet or sport dog owners.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

It can be daunting, frustrating and depressing at times... but also very rewarding. The breed needs more GOOD breeders. People who are involved in GSDs and the GSD community, and who gain knowledge and experience with the breed *first* before pumping out puppies. And who have an understanding of what the breed is about and a strong dedication to preserving that. All categories you'd definitely fit into. So go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
It can be daunting, frustrating and depressing at times... but also very rewarding. The breed needs more GOOD breeders. People who are involved in GSDs and the GSD community, and who gain knowledge and experience with the breed *first* before pumping out puppies. And who have an understanding of what the breed is about and a strong dedication to preserving that. All categories you'd definitely fit into. So go for it!
The more good real responsible breeders out there, hopefully people will start to get the message and start going to them when looking for their next puppy.

Good luck!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
It can be daunting, frustrating and depressing at times... but also very rewarding.
Frustrating is an understatement. It is getting harder and harder to find males that will bring what I want to my females without bringing negatives I don't want added to my lines. Then finding buyers who are looking for a GSD and not some extreme of one sort or another.

I had a person contact me who was looking for a dog for competition who wanted an extreme dog with a long bite like a Mali. Then I get the ones looking for a prick eared soft couch potato. Two extremes, neither GSD.

Start with the best female you can find, work her, title her and make no compromises. If she works out, hope to a find a male that will bring her balance, keep the best female from that litter, and so on and so on.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

the GSD needs good new breed stewards , because in breeding that is what you do . It is a responsibility . You have one to the health and welfare of the breed and you have a responsibility to those that choose the breed to work with , live with . Quality . Not quantity.
Could not have said it better than Chris or Lisa .

There is nothing more rewarding and gratifying than producing dogs that have made positive contributions in work , even though the accomplishment is not out there with some acknowledgement on paper . There is no title for "law enforcement dog who stands off bear , continues track, locates, makes clean apprehension of dangerous suspect " .
That's what keeps me going .

Carmen

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wow! Thanks for all the encouragement. From all of you it really means a lot. It saddens me to read that LE and Military are going to other breeds mainly because of nerve issues and what not. I know not one person can fix it but I do feel I can contribute to bringing it back to a true utilitarian breed.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

I love your phrase "true utilitarian breed" because in my opinion this is where breeders have failed.

Addressing other threads - 60 minutes , old style training (?) which morphed into police ----- I get the feeling that some , not so involved , posters think it is all about aggression. If you were to look at procurement requirements from both brokers and departments each would want a sound , stable , dog that is focused and able to work around excitement and distraction. They want a dog that is approachable , not fearing or being aggressive when in groups of people . So much for the image of the nasty dog . A dog that is too aggressive is not a good prospect . A solid , bold , self confident dog does not look or act aggressive . There is a power that oozes from them . Control and trainability. Willing and bold to take on challenges. Hunt and search drive . Natural instincts for this hunt and search . Tracking drive .
The bread and butter of work is to locate and hold , locate and alert . Bite when necessary.

utility, versatility.

Carmen

Last edited by carmspack; 04-25-2013 at 01:43 PM.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks! Honestly that's one of the reasons I'm waiting until my current dogs are retired. One to give me more time to learn and work the breed but also I have come to the realization that my current dogs are on the "too sporty" side of things. I absolutely love my dogs and they are perfect for me but I'm not 100% convinced they are all that a GSD could be. I think my hardest thing right now is seeing what is the dog and what is training. I have learned through working some dogs that even a nerve bag can be trained through a lot.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Knighted Member

I don't participate here anymore, but I needed to comment and commend Chris, Carmen and Lisa on their messages to OP. It's nice to see some genuine integrity in a thread.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page