female long haired gs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

female long haired gs

i have a black and sable long haired beautiful girl about 1 year old. i know that it is too early to mate her, but am trying to find out what i should be looking to do at this time. i have no papers for her, but one look tells it all. both parents were long haired. mom slim and dad about 120 lbs. mine will be about the same as dad the vet said. any one with some help please let me know
thanks for the help. i live in the charlotte area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Banned

Curious, why are you interested in breeding her?
The quality homes out there looking for puppies will only want papered dogs.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Crowned Member

breeding is much more than the pairing of two gsd. two things to consider are health problems, ie. hips, elbows, epi and dm to name a few. also a 120 pound gsd is not in the standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Curious, why are you interested in breeding her?
The quality homes out there looking for puppies will only want papered dogs.
i dont know what you mean by quality homes, but i see a quality home as one that will love the dog and care for all of their needs. i have a quite a few dogs with papers and never did anything with them. my older shepherd who i just put down, had papers. this dog is a beautiful dog, while i know that some people wont want a dog without papers, others like i said dont care. thanks for your imput, and if u know anything that can help, i would love to hear it....
thanks again
bill
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
breeding is much more than the pairing of two gsd. two things to consider are health problems, ie. hips, elbows, epi and dm to name a few. also a 120 pound gsd is not in the standard.
thanks for all your imput in considering breeding! i have just put down my older shepherd, because of her hips. she was almost 14 years. when you say that gsd weighing 120 lbs, does that mean that they are not common. never had a long haired, my other one was only about 75 lbs....thank you for all of your imput
bill
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Yeah 120 lbs for a gsd is not what a 'typical' gsd should be based on the standard. The heavier ones are more prone to hip issues because of the extra weight they're carrying.

I really don't want to be the one to say it, but "one look tells it all" is a statement that really tells you NOTHING about a dog you're interested in breeding.Carefully assess temperament etc and how she would match with a male.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Knighted Member

You cannot make an intelligent and informed breeding decision on a dog with no papers. How can you even tell if you are breeding a dog to its own sibling. How can you tell if you are back masking or line breeding on dogs of poor hip production. There are so many things that you cannot tell about when breeding dogs with no papers. It is literally a shot in the dark. Add to that the fact that many buyers are very informed and will ask you questions about the pedigree that you will not be able to answer. They will not buy from you and you will be left selling or giving them away to anyone willing to take them. The chance of them falling into neglectful circumstances is very high. Do you really want to contribute to the unwanted pet population?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by convaz1 View Post
but am trying to find out what i should be looking to do at this time.
Spay her. You should be looking to spay her since she's old enough.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
i have a black and sable long haired beautiful girl about 1 year old. i know that it is too early to mate her, but am trying to find out what i should be looking to do at this time. i have no papers for her, but one look tells it all.
An unregistered bitch shouldn't be bred. 'One look' most emphatically can't begin to tell much b/c informed breeding decisions are made only after analyzing & considering the extended families of the prospective parent dogs. For example, if your bitch has good hips that's a start, but only a start b/c savvy breeders will also be looking at the orthopedic history of parents, grandparents, siblings & in the case of a repeat breeding the offspring.

IF you're seriously interested in breeding, 1st educate yourself. When you realize how much is involved you might decide against it. (I did & so have many others).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

I do believe you when you say your girl is beautiful.

So are the three adult rescues who live with me. And so are the dozens I passed over when I selected them.

And so are hundreds of others stuck in kill shelters across the country today.

Please spay your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page