Being a responsible breeder also means ... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Being a responsible breeder also means ...

You welcome back what you produced - at any time, for any reason.

The lady that co-owns Clark with me texted me this morning that she just can't keep him anymore.

Clark has been pulling the hair out of her Newfoundlands. I'm talking stripping BIG patches bald - right down to the skin!! And the Newfies don't care.

This morning was the last straw. He stripped a section off her male that she was planning on showing at the Newfie nationals. We're not sure it will grow back in time.

She has tried everything she can think of to stop this. I had Clark come spend a few days here earlier in the year and he never tried it on my guys (Mauser would NOT put up with it if he did) so we know it's more of an acceptability thing - the Newfies just accept the behavior.

So he will stay with us until we can find him a great home - either with short haired dogs or dogs that won't accept being stripped.

Luckily Clark is a very happy, outgoing boy so finding him a good home shouldn't be too hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe Clark was jealous of all that hair...if the newfs hair doesn't grow back maybe she could pass him off at the Chinese Crested nationals???
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM

I don't know why Clark is doing that to the Newfies, but my Bailey does the samething to Gracie my husky. I am constantly telling him to leave it!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
Maybe Clark was jealous of all that hair...if the newfs hair doesn't grow back maybe she could pass him off at the Chinese Crested nationals???
Clark is a PowderPuff so he has nothing to be jealous of!

Her Newf would be one REEEEEALY oversized CC!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Good for you for taking him back. he should be easy enough to place again.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Just heard from the owner - she contacted a few other people and got a few more ideas to try so he's staying put and she's going to work with him some more.

Forgot to add a picture of the little trouble maker ...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

My oldest dog's breeder had me sign a contract that I could NOT re-home the dog, that is MUST be returned to her if it didn't work out... Of course, she couldn't enforce that, but I liked that clause actually. This dog's microchip also has the breeder's info on it, which I don't like very much at all, but she was just very protective of her pups, I suppose. A great lady who sold me a super great pup.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

Oh what a cutie he is! That is an odd habit he's developed, but I hope one of the new things she tries will get him to stop. Nice to see breeders who stand behind their puppies. I also bet he would be an easy one to place should the need arise - that is one seriously cute dog!

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Elite Member

Yes, that is absolutely true and don't think it can't happen to breeding stock. One of the breeders I know sold a show prospect puppy. The dog is nice, but the former owner just couldn't keep her. She sent her back.

Also, be prepared to keep the dog sent back for a while. That breeder has had the dog available for a month or two.

Yup, something to consider when thinking about breeding.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

Tell her to get some bitter apple spray and spray it on the coat of the newfies where he chews.
I showed Shelties and when I had a dog, especially a male, want to chew on the others coats, I finally got some bitter apple and sprayed it all over the ones who were getting their coats chewed. Worked like a charm, and it doesn't harm the coats in the least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page