Being a responsible breeder means ... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Being a responsible breeder means ...

... being able to own up to your mistakes.

Hi, my name is Lauri and while I AM a responsible breeder I am also human and I made a STUPID mistake!!

I can't explain why I did what I did. It was a momentary lapse in brain power that may have consequences but I am owning up to them right away.

My Chinese Crested bitch, Kaynya, is in season. I have 3 intact males living in the house with us (and her) - Mauser (GSD) and 2 boys from her previous litters - Spike who is 3 and Fuego who is 1. She has been through seasons before with these boys here and we've had no problems keeping them separated.

Now before anyone panics - no, Mauser did NOT get to Kaynya!

On Friday one of Kaynya's puppies came to spend the weekend. Clark is from her last litter (Fuego's brother), is just over a year old and is intact. I co-own Clark and was hoping to show him. He has been having issues with chewing on his hair so we were waiting to see if he outgrew it.

Yesterday afternoon I was rotating dogs. Kaynya went out for a quick potty then she came in and the rest of the gang went outside. I didn't want to leave Clark outside too long so I waited and then brought just him inside. I walked into the house and set him down, then went into the kitchen to get something.

Two minutes. That's all it took. I suddenly realized that Kaynya was loose and so was Clark and when I turned around they were tied.

I refuse to do the mismate shot (too many risks) and I do not want to spay her (personal choice).

So, I'm HOPING that she doesn't get pregnant. I'm hoping that it was too early in her cycle (it's close though) and I'm hoping that since it was Clark's "first time" he didn't have much in the way of sperm count.

BUT - I'm also already preparing for the chance of her being pregnant.

Fuego & Clark's litter was a repeat of Spikes and it is a line breeding. I'm going to go dig out the pedigrees and see HOW close it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Knighted Member

Accidents happen..... I forgive you! HEHE!
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

So she may have mated with her son?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

May low sperm count and out-of-sych cycle be visited upon your household. If wishes would make it come true, I'm sure you'd be in the clear.

Unfortunately sperm remains viable for a while - I forget how long.
I worry having an intact bitch and I've only gone through two heat cycles with her.
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Crowned Member

Respect for admitting it. There is a big difference between a breeder who is responsible with an accidental litter vs your regular joe with an accidental litter.

Stupid question alert

Lauri- When you catch them tied what do you do?
I'm thinking I would begin shocked yelling "no! no! off! off! get away!!" waving my hands around like a lunatic. I've heard many stories about bitches needing to be muzzled during mating and wondering if that behavior would get one bit. Also, since they have already tied... well does it matter how long?

-Brandi

6-5-09

Last edited by sagelfn; 08-06-2011 at 12:42 PM.
post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Crowned Member

IT seems like the linebreeding shouldn't be so much a concern--either way it is INbreeding.

What are you going to do if she is pregnant? I'm not sure what the possible health issues that can crop up from this kind of breeding with dogs.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
So she may have mated with her son?
Yes.
post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
Respect for admitting it. There is a big difference between a breeder who is responsible with an accidental litter vs your regular joe with an accidental litter.

Stupid question alert

Lauri- When you catch them tied what do you do?
I'm thinking I would begin shocked yelling "no! no! off! off! get away!!" waving my hands around like a lunatic. I've heard many stories about bitches needing to be muzzled during mating and wondering if that behavior would get one bit. Also, since they have already tied... well does it matter how long?
When I turned around and saw them I didn't think he was tied so I started to yell "ACK!". When I realized they were tied I knew it was too late.

I sat down on the floor and held Kaynya because she was trying to pull away. Forcing dogs apart after they have tied can actually break the males penis.

Dogs don't HAVE to tie to pass the sperm to the female. There are what is called 'outside' ties. The male's penis has bulbs on the side. When he penetrates the female the bulbs enlarge and keep the penis 'locked' inside the female - aka tied.

Sometimes the tie doesn't happen but the sperm are passed anyway.

Some females do not WANT to be bred and have to be muzzled and such.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Crowned Member

All the best-those Chinese crested are kinda cute-are they good at obedience
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
IT seems like the linebreeding shouldn't be so much a concern--either way it is INbreeding.

What are you going to do if she is pregnant? I'm not sure what the possible health issues that can crop up from this kind of breeding with dogs.
IF she is pregnant the puppies have the potential to either get the very best of both parents or the very WORST.

The only good thing about this is that Clark is a Powder Puff. Breeding a Hairless to a Hairless is a calculated risk to begin with. Doing it so close (inbreeding) would be a serious problem.

Kaynya's temperament is 100% perfect. She is extremely outgoing, loves EVERYONE and is very dog friendly. Her eyes are checked every year (CCs are prone to eye issues) and she has VERY good teeth for a hairless (the hairless gene causes teeth issues). She has nice structure and comes from very good lines.

It will be a tough decision on what to do if she IS pregnant. While I do have several people waiting for puppies, I don't like having winter litters with the Cresteds (the puppies would be ready the beginning of December) because it can make housebreaking hard. The pups, especially the hairless ones, cannot take very cold temperatures.

It also makes it harder to get them out and socialize them and they can become shy if you don't take them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page