Girlfriend for West?.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool Girlfriend for West?..

So I know this is a little early since West is only 8 months, but I want to breed West once he is ready, but I want to know what would be the easiest way on finding a girl for him. Is there certain things I should look for and most of all... where should I look to find one? We live in Phoenix, AZ and I havent seen many females out here, mostly males. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikecafe View Post
and then

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

That really wasn't very nice of me, I'm a bit crabby tonight and I apologize.

If he's only 8 months old then you have a lot of time to:

Title him sufficiently to prove he's really a great dog to breed
Get his health certifications (OFA/etc)
Study pedigrees to get a start on what would be a good match for him
Find the female whose lines will match with his

Most people that own great females are not going to breed their female to a male that doesn't have titles/health certs/etc

Good luck with the titles and the pedigree studies!!!

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder C. View Post
So I know this is a little early since West is only 8 months, but I want to breed West once he is ready, but I want to know what would be the easiest way on finding a girl for him. Is there certain things I should look for and most of all... where should I look to find one? We live in Phoenix, AZ and I havent seen many females out here, mostly males. Thanks
That kind of depends. What are your goals for wanting to breed West?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

When you are out titling him you will meet other GSD owners with females they intend to breed.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Crowned Member

The problem with owning a stud dog is that unless your dog has a super resume, you may not find any decent bitch owner willing to breed her bitch to him. Your best bet is to get involved, get him titled, join a training club, join a breed club, get out there with him and meet as many bitches as you can. But again, a lot of people will think about your dog, and then travel two states away to breed to a Grand Champion, or a ROM dog. Others will consider your dog and breed to someone else's just because they have more experience in the breed.

So it is hard to break into breeding with a dog.

Now, if you walk your dog often, bitch owners will screech their cars to a halt and rush out of the car and shower you with questions, mostly "is he fixed", "are you going to breed him?" Unfortunately, these people rarely know if their bitch is working or show lines, has papers, has heard of brucellosis, and many of them have a bitch who is totally pet quality.

Bitch owners have it easier. Every breed worthy bitch could conceivably be bred, using only a fraction of the breed-worthy dogs.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Elite Member

I think the best way for us non-experienced folk, like the OP and me, to think about this would be:

If you were the owner of a female dog, what would it take for you to want to deal with possibly losing a beloved member of your family, waking up to find dead puppies, 10 puppies in your house for 2 months, and a host of other pregnancy and birth-related complications.

If for a second I pictured myself in the shoes of a female dog owner, I would say NOTHING. But there are some who will say yes. And the yes' you want to hear are going to be from the female dog owners who say they would only take that risk on a STELLAR stud dog. This male dog better be a walking statue of perfection, with good nerves, complimentary structure, nice coat...all that jazz.

Or, if you don't want to go the high road and ensure that puppies that come from your beloved West are going to live healthy and happy lives, any female dog owner that expresses an interest will do. Just know though, these puppies might have temperament and health problems, and might be given up and euthanized for them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Crowned Member

Educate.....don't Interrogate.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page