Guide to Lines - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Guide to Lines

So how does one learn the good and bad points of the different lines?

What about general characteristics?

On average with the ASL and German WL/SL? And famous dogs/lines within those group?

What about blends of these?

I eventually want to help improve my favorite breed. Right now I am chillin' and learning as much as I can with not only owning dogs and training them, but with the different lines as well.

This is obviously very far down the road for me.

But I was just REALLY impressed by another poster in another thread talking about individual dogs in a certain line, and their strengths/weaknesses.

Anybody have stuff to share on this? I would love to read it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGrrl66 View Post

But I was just REALLY impressed by another poster in another thread talking about individual dogs in a certain line, and their strengths/weaknesses.

Anybody have stuff to share on this? I would love to read it!!!!
Me too! I especially love it when people who have been in GSDs a long time know some of the dogs personally.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Elite Member

Here's a good starting point:
Breed Types & Related Families

To really learn the lines and different GSDs, you have to go out and meet them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link...I love that website

All of the ASL dogs I have met I was NOT impressed.

I have met German SL dogs, and they seem pretty well-rounded as far as a family dog. I have seen one as a service dog as well.

I have loved all of the working line dogs I have met. Some of them seem a little crazy though.

Instead of asking about different types, what I really meant was lines within those types. Famous breeders, studs, females, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

The best way to learn about the dogs from different bloodlines is to go to dog shows (AKC and FCI-style) and watch and talk and read the program and look up parents and then go to some competitions and read the program and look up parents and talk to people and meet their dogs and go to club training and seminars and some national level conformation and working conformations.

In other words, get involved, do your homework, look things up, write them down, take pictures, take notes, talk to people who have dogs you like, talk to people who have dogs you don't like. Train a few dogs, show a few dogs, trial a few dogs, take a dog to high level competition or help a friend to do so--or do both.

And then repeat it for years.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

before any lines discussion is helpful you have to know what are the issues -- you want to improve something , then know what the problems are , the big picture.
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

What Christine said

When I first "got into" GSDs I thought all a good breeder needed was AKC and OFA. I have learned so much over the last 10 years from that point.

Most of my learning has been listening and reading. The last few years I have also been attending trials when possible, making notes, listening to Judges' critiques, and them coming back home and looking at the pedigrees.

Training my own dogs as hands-on practice. Being a member of clubs where I can watch others and learn things from them.

I can't wait for 10 more years to pass and the knowledge that I will learn over that time.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Banned

If you are in the US - I would recommend joining the GSDCA as well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
The best way to learn about the dogs from different bloodlines is to go to dog shows (AKC and FCI-style) and watch and talk and read the program and look up parents and then go to some competitions and read the program and look up parents and talk to people and meet their dogs and go to club training and seminars and some national level conformation and working conformations.

In other words, get involved, do your homework, look things up, write them down, take pictures, take notes, talk to people who have dogs you like, talk to people who have dogs you don't like. Train a few dogs, show a few dogs, trial a few dogs, take a dog to high level competition or help a friend to do so--or do both.

And then repeat it for years.
Challenge Accepted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page