screening buyers ???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

screening buyers ????

How do you screen potential buyers for your puppies ? I am getting ready to breed my female and this will be my first litter to sell . What questions do you ask ? Do you turn some buyers down ? I definitely want my pups to go to good owners .

What paperwork or guarantees should I offer. This will probably be my only litter ,I am not trying to get into the puppy business . I am breeding my female get get a male for myself for schutzhund.

She has her BH and is very near ready for Sch1. The stud is Sch3. Her father was imported and the stud is an import.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Sent you a PM

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Plan to spend a lot of time on the phone with them before ever providing your address -- general location is ok, ie. Ashtabula County, Ohio.

Spend the time LISTENING to them. You can lead them with a few questions, but try to get a feel for them by what they say about their previous dogs, what they say about training, what they say about vets etc. Ask for the name of their veterinarian, and if possible an instructor/trainer.

Get a feel for them. Are they saying what they think you want to hear, or are they telling you like it is?

With GSDs, training is the big deal. I think it is more important than health, nutrician, all the rest of it, because a dog that bonds with his owner will get good food and will be taken to the vet. Training will facillitate that bonding quicker than anything else, so be sure to listen to what they want to DO with the dog, what they want to train the dog for, how they will train the dog, when they will start training the dog, where they intend to train the dog.

If they ask you questions, that is ok too. But be sure to let them hang themselves by listening to who they really are.

I think that placing puppies is probably one of the most important parts of breeding. So this is a great question. Matching the right pup to the right owner is going to be tough as a newbie. You might consider having someone come in and temperament test the puppies.

People still like a choice though. So it is best to choose the best two for each buyer and show them both to them. Give your reasons why each would make a good choice. Sorry, this is beyond the scope of your question. But in your screening process, make notes about them, the people, what type of pup they would do best with -- active pup, laid back pup, no puppy, etc.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ........ what paperwork or guarantee will I need to provide ?

Since this is likely my only litter I cant offer to replace with a puppy from a future litter if problems arise. I dont anticipate health problems but I'm sure some buyers will want a guarantee of some sort .
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

you will need a clause stating that if for any reason...throughout the lifetime of the dog...the new owners cannot keep...for any reason...they must return the dog to you.

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Master Member

Get a phone number, then run a reverse directory check through intelius.com or a similar service. Also, Dog Breeders, Puppies for Sale, Dog Breeds Information allows you to host a questionnaire on their server. You can require people to fill it out, or no deal. Every successful placement I've had came off a completed questionnaire as the first contact. Cold calls where the first words out of the caller's mouth are "How much are your puppies?" are a waste of my time.

By way of illustrating my point, allow me to share one of my favorite "puppy buyer" stories :

I answered the phone. Fella asked if I had any puppies for sale and how much were they? (I did, but again, cold calls that start with a request for a price are halfway to the trashcan right off the bat.) "Hi, I'm Dave. And your name is?"

"Uh, (Half second pause) Donald."

Right. Do you spell "Uh" with one "H" or two? Strike one.

Talk to him a bit. "Uh...Donald" tells me that he has trained German Shepherds for protection work and for police departments for ten years, then asks where he can get a bite suit. Pal...you should already HAVE one. You haven't been taking bites from full grown GSD's for ten years on your bare arms and legs, have you? Strike two.

Blah, blah, blah...quote him a price that's $1000 higher than I was charging, and tell him to fill out my questionnaire so I can get more of an idea what he's looking for in a puppy, etc. Have a nice day.

Get the "received call" number off my phone, run it through intelius.com. It comes back as a MetroPCS month-to-month account, the name on the account is "Mike," (not "uh, Donald," no last name) associated with four addresses in one of the worst neighborhoods in the United States (a place where I won't go without a handgun, two reloads for same, and a folding knife. In daylight only.).

Swing and a miss! STRIKE THREE! You're OUTTA THERE!

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad

Last edited by Hunther's Dad; 02-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selzer
Plan to spend a lot of time on the phone with them before ever providing your address -- general location is ok, ie. Ashtabula County, Ohio.
This is a good point. No reason to have PETA or a thief pay you a visit. Get one of those UPS Store P.O. box addresses that look like a real address.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunther's Dad View Post
Get a phone number, then run a reverse directory check through intelius.com or a similar service. Also, Dog Breeders, Puppies for Sale, Dog Breeds Information allows you to host a questionnaire on their server. You can require people to fill it out, or no deal. Every successful placement I've had came off a completed questionnaire as the first contact. Cold calls where the first words out of the caller's mouth are "How much are your puppies?" are a waste of my time.

By way of illustrating my point, allow me to share one of my favorite "puppy buyer" stories :

I answered the phone. Fella asked if I had any puppies for sale and how much were they? (I did, but again, cold calls that start with a request for a price are halfway to the trashcan right off the bat.) "Hi, I'm Dave. And your name is?"

"Uh, (Half second pause) Donald."

Right. Do you spell "Uh" with one "H" or two? Strike one.

Talk to him a bit. "Uh...Donald" tells me that he has trained German Shepherds for protection work and for police departments for ten years, then asks where he can get a bite suit. Pal...you should already HAVE one. You haven't been taking bites from full grown GSD's for ten years on your bare arms and legs, have you? Strike two.

Blah, blah, blah...quote him a price that's $1000 higher than I was charging, and tell him to fill out my questionnaire so I can get more of an idea what he's looking for in a puppy, etc. Have a nice day.

Get the "received call" number off my phone, run it through intelius.com. It comes back as a MetroPCS month-to-month account, the name on the account is "Mike," (not "uh, Donald," no last name) associated with four addresses in one of the worst neighborhoods in the United States (a place where I won't go without a handgun, two reloads for same, and a folding knife. In daylight only.).

Swing and a miss! STRIKE THREE! You're OUTTA THERE!

Would have been a hilarious call to listen to!
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

You do not NEED a clause saying; if that for any reason if something goes wrong, the dog will be returned to you.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
You do not NEED a clause saying; if that for any reason if something goes wrong, the dog will be returned to you.
If you don't mind me asking Cliffson.. Why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page