Breeding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Breeding?

I've been thinking of becoming a breeder for quite some time. I see that people are scared of GSDs because of the rates of bites and attacks. So, if I were to become a breeder, my main goal would be to decrease bites and attacks.

I've been interested in GSDs for a long time. I remember growing up my brother's favorite breed was the Rotty but my parents were surprised when I said I liked German Shepherds. I have placed a reserve on my first GSD puppy (if the breeding doesn't fail).

I don't plan on that puppy becoming my foundation because:
1) I plan on having her spayed
2) She's my first GSD
3) I don't know enough to know that she would make a good foundation

I do know a bit about breeding. Like for example, a responsible breeder would never ever breed a female that has not reached age of 2 years and will even help nurse the pups. I also know that a breeder breeds to a certain standard and will not breed a dog with faults. There's some more things I know, but it's very easy to argue those are simple things that even just dog owners know.

I don't know anything about pedigrees, bloodlines, and stuff like that. However, if I decide to become a breeder, I know I'd need to know about that and then some.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some feedback. I dunno, I mean, I'd love to become a breeder when the time is right. So I guess my question is, if the time were right right now, what other steps would need to be taken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post
So I guess what I'm looking for is some feedback. I dunno, I mean, I'd love to become a breeder when the time is right. So I guess my question is, if the time were right right now, what other steps would need to be taken?
Learn more about pedigrees, bloodlines, and stuff like that......

How do you feel about Schutzhund to determine if your GSD is breed worthy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, I really don't know what Scutzhund is. Isn't it some type of protection sport?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

What type of GSD were you interested in? Am-breds, German showline, workingline? You would only need SchH for the second two.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

You would need the reputation and experience to back up claims that the dogs have sound temperaments. Be involved with training and titling dogs in various venues that prove these claims. The best way to learn about your dogs or dogs in general is to get that hands on experience. It can't be substituted with Internet research or talking with other breeders and taking their word for it.

I want to buy a dog that is not a fear biting nervy spook and is very sound in temperament so I buy from breeders whose dogs have proven this. I watch them train, I watch them interact with people and kids, watch how they do in trial and in shows on a "strange" field with other dogs and people. A breeder having a dog as a pet and saying it is a "good dog" is not enough for me.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 AM

I agree with the above and would like to add, if you can find a good breeder an excellent way to learn, is ask them to mentor you..From scooping poop, kennel cleaning, getting hands on, will go a long way.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

Start with genetics, understand the science of breeding. Then study the history of the German shepherd. Make note of the early winners - their bloodlines, what areas they were tested in. Then study pedigrees, what bloodlines combined with others to produce the versatile dog. And particularly what bloodlines were likely to contribute health issues and flaws.

Great kennels are built upon great bitches. The German shepherd is suppose to be a dog that can do many things well - not just show or work but both. Unfortunately, those type dogs are hard to find. Schutzhund (which once was a measurement used to determine breed worthiness but has turned more into a sport today) is no more important than herding which is no more important than showing which is no more important than protection which is no more important than service work, etc. etc.. A German shepherd should be able to do all equally as well.

Once you understand this, then go and get involved with some hands-on activities. Observe and interact with the various activities. This experience along with a solid grounding in the above mention areas will put you far ahead of most people who are dealing with German shepherds today. I think a intense desire to understand the breed - from its inception until today - is mandatory for any breeder.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you guys for the great feedback! I'm not sure which line I would focus on. I'd love to become a breeder someday, but only when the time is right.

I think another thing I could do is become a member of German Shepherd Club of America. So I'd not only have a mentor, but I'd be getting info from them as well.

Last edited by GSD Fan; 10-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Crowned Member

There is also the side of breeding which carries the health responsibilities of the breeder. Producing healthy puppies should never be a crap shoot.

Also, you can work hard in getting your foundation bitch titled and then loose her before the first pup is even born. That alone is more risk then I'm willing to take.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
There is also the side of breeding which carries the health responsibilities of the breeder. Producing healthy puppies should never be a crap shoot.

Also, you can work hard in getting your foundation bitch titled and then loose her before the first pup is even born. That alone is more risk then I'm willing to take.
Indeed. Um, what do you mean by "loose her"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page