To breed or not to breed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

To breed or not to breed

If you were the daughter of one of the most respected breeders out there and if your dad believes that you can keep it going or believes that you can build something great yourself and that you have two dogs that would fit perfectly... despite of one of the dogs past and that he sees something in that particular dog while everybody else doesn't. If you knew that he was right about every dog he looked at and that he's one of the most critical persons out there and that he's never been wrong about a dog and that he'd love to see a litter from those two dogs.

Would you do it?

I am seriously tempted to do it and while I probably can't fulfill those footsteps, all that matters to me is that my Dad believes I would make a good breeder. But it's a long and rocky road until the first litter can be born. However, I know what to do and how to do it and if my Dad believes he can do it, THAT means something!

Last edited by Mrs.K; 08-27-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

I'd try my hand at breeding.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Crowned Member

I think it will be hard, because people know your parent's breeding program and will be wondering if yours will live up to theirs.
But just because something is hard, does not mean you should not work for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

If you're being transferred to NY....is now the right time in your life?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
I think it will be hard, because people know your parent's breeding program and will be wondering if yours will live up to theirs.
But just because something is hard, does not mean you should not work for it!
That is exactly what I am worried about. The expectations and those that want to see me fail and they are waiting for it to happen already.

I know I need to go my own way and create my own footprints. I also know that I will follow his advise and he will get his litter. That's the least I can do for him.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd only do it if I was in a fairly stable place in my life. AND I'd start slowly with great dogs to see how it goes.

For me, the first hard thing is getting great dogs and figuring out the breeding program you want.

The next hard thing (harder?) is coming up with all the great homes that are worthy of your puppies and will raise them in the right way. Finding the best mix of puppy/owner can be a nightmare!

So if you are moving back to NY, you may want to wait for a bit to make connections and get a good reputation so finding puppy owners will be much easier.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
If you're being transferred to NY....is now the right time in your life?
Not now - now. Later on. Indra isn't even a year old yet. So now would be a little too early.
But just because we are getting transferred doesn't mean I can't work towards the first litter. It's something I want to do for my dad since he believes in me and the dogs. It means a lot that he believes that I can do it.

It's not something that will happen in the next couple of years.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

Go slow and make sure your heart is in it. Try one litter, with great dogs. It's good to have your Dad's support and confidence in you. Whether you breed another litter or not, you can at least say you tried.

With both of you selecting the breeding pair, you are 1/2 way to a great litter. It's a great opportunity but only if it is what you want to do. And don't dwell on everyone comparing you to your Dad at this point. He has age and experience working for him. You have youthfulness and desire.

Many many years ago I was in bar in Ft. Lauderdale FL and someone had written a message across a beam - it said "I live my life; I love my life and the critics be damned."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Don't make the decision to breed based on what other's think. It must be something that you want to do.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

If you really want to, wait until you are settled, you might want to wait until your husband is retired from the service, that way you wouldn't have to worry about moving.

Get to know people in your area of expertice, schutzhund or conformation, whatever, join the clubs, meet the people, and get known.

I think you could make a go of it, if you really, really want to.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page