New to Breeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

New to Breeding

I am planning to breed my female pending her OFA results. Any advice to give to a new breeder? How do you all price your puppies? I of course want to ensure they go to great homes either working or companion and I am wondering if price can truly affect the type of home the puppies go to. I recently had someone tell me that I am a nobody and since I only have one dog it will be difficult to sell the puppies. My thinking on this is that if it is a great breeding between two quality dogs with magnificent temperaments and proven working ability why should it matter that it is my first breeding? If the pups are healthy and well socialized that is what is most important in my mind. Also if anyone can recommend any sites or books that would prepare me that would be fantastic! Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Knighted Member

Are both the dogs currently titled to prove temperament and working ability? Are the males hips and elbows certified? These things IMO influence whether one should consider breeding or not and influence price a great deal
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

I think if they are OFA'd, have great temperment, can work or show then you should sell them for at least $1,000. IMO I think that when dogs are of higher price and quality chances are greater that they will end up in a better home than a $300 GSD.

Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing people that didn't spend alot of money on their GSD, or that their GSD is of poor quality. I just know that I paid $600 for my GSD from a BYB and he has some health problems and he is above the standard.

I am not a breeder, I do not know about breeding but that is the way I feel.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I guess it would help if I post the two dogs.
Dam
Potential Sire

My dog is not yet titled. She has been ready for her bh for some time now I really just need to go out and do it. I guess I could go get a cgc but I'd rather have the bh. I do plan to continue to work her once this flaming heat subsides. It has been one heck of a hot summer here.

Last edited by eidna22; 08-05-2010 at 10:40 AM.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Why have you chosen this sire for your puppies? What does he bring to the litter that your bitch doesn't have?

Also, consider waiting another year to breed your bitch until she is titled, preferably in something higher than a CGC.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

He would bring more hardness and also a little more size and a blockier head. My female is quite petite but very sporty and has flashy obedience the sire also has wonderful flashy obedience as well.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

What that sire brings to the table in terms of genetics is very strong work ethic and also very strong nerve. Also, knowing the Czech/Slovak lines the dam is from, this type of breeding is being done in Europe today by some top breeders. Mixing Czech and West workinglines. I would be interested in a puppy from this breeding from a genetic point of view. Would need to confirm abilities of both parents, but I like the genetics.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

I posted about the male bringing more work ethic and nerve before I saw your post about hardness. But I didn't need to see your post as his genetics and his accomplishment of being in a Nationals already told me of his hardness. Good Luck!
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

He is truly an amazing dog and I would expect nothing less than extremely high drive pups with a very willing attitude. These types of breedings from Czech to West German seem to be getting some great results which is why I opted to out cross her. The Dam is the kind of dog that can take a correction and the tail just keeps on wagging and her whole life is pleasing me. She has surpassed my expectations by a million and her attitude just continues to amaze me when it comes to new training, experiences, people and places. All you have to do is look at her to tell she really loves to work she certainly doesn't have to be forced. I definitely don't see this breeding hurting the breed that's for sure.
Thanks for your comments Cliffson! Seems like we think alike
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

She sounds like a really nice female...like her looks too and the sires...Hope that you post pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page