Wanted - Breedable Solid Black Female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Wanted - Breedable Solid Black Female

Hello,

My husband and I are looking for a solid black female with full breeding rights. We are looking into starting up a kennel and I want to make sure we do it RIGHT (OFA Good hips,elbows, temperament etc). I've talked with another (somewhat) established breeder and she says it's impossible for me to get a female with full breeding rights with out jumping through flaming hoops, let alone a solid black. Am I crazy? Can any of you breeders out there advise??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Momma to 4 Wonderful Critters
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sunny - 13 yr old - Golden Retriever
Kitty - 8 yr old - cat
Zach - 2 yr old - GSD
Ziva - 7 month old GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Master Member

No offense but it kinda sounds like you woke up this morning and decided you want to breed GERMAN SHEPHERDS.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

You want to do it right but not have to jump through hoops? Why do you want black? What about specific lines, type, temperament? I am not a breeder, but a buyer currently looking for a pup and there needs to be a better reason than just wanting to have a GSD kennel. What experience do you have? Do the people you show/train/trial with have any advice as far as helping you find a dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

There is a lot more to "doing it right" than OFA/Hips, Elbows, temperament and ect . . ."

Doing it right is having a life-time of experience and knowledge. It is about more than breeding black dogs, but breeding working dogs that have been trained and titled (by yourself) to prove that your dogs can work. It is knowing if you want to breed American Show lines, German Show lines, or working lines, and if working lines, what characteristics in particular do you want to preserve and improve on?

Agree with the other poster. Sounds like you like black German Shepherds (nothing wrong with that), and decided to start up a little kennel to make extra money.
People who do it right breed for the love of the dog, few make money on it, if they can, more power to them, but that is not their main objective.

The breeder you talked to is right. Responsible breeders who "do it right", will want their bloodlines and good kennel name preserved and carried on by the progeny of their breedable bitches, and will have a lot of stipulations and conditions for selling breeding prospects. Usually they sell their puppies with limited, and upgrade to full once those conditions are met, most often a minimum of OFA hips/elbows, and some work/performance title like SchH I.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

There are way too many dogs in the world already. There are not enough homes for all of them. Have you ever been to an animal shelter? Have you ever looked into their eyes knowing that they probably wont make it out of there alive? Have you ever seen a dog on the side of the road because it got hit by a car? Have you ever seen a dog picking through the trash? Some stray dogs add to the population but so do people that wake up one morning and decide they want to start breeding dogs.

Besides owning a GSD why do you want to breed?
To better the breed?
To produce top quality dogs?
Are you looking to breed oversized dogs?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
There is a lot more to "doing it right" than OFA/Hips, Elbows, temperament and ect . . ."

Doing it right is having a life-time of experience and knowledge. It is about more than breeding black dogs, but breeding working dogs that have been trained and titled (by yourself) to prove that your dogs can work. It is knowing if you want to breed American Show lines, German Show lines, or working lines, and if working lines, what characteristics in particular do you want to preserve and improve on?

Agree with the other poster. Sounds like you like black German Shepherds (nothing wrong with that), and decided to start up a little kennel to make extra money.
People who do it right breed for the love of the dog, few make money on it, if they can, more power to them, but that is not their main objective.

The breeder you talked to is right. Responsible breeders who "do it right", will want their bloodlines and good kennel name preserved and carried on by the progeny of their breedable bitches, and will have a lot of stipulations and conditions for selling breeding prospects. Usually they sell their puppies with limited, and upgrade to full once those conditions are met, most often a minimum of OFA hips/elbows, and some work/performance title like SchH I.

Here, Here! I agree

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

Maybe it would help if you could post your reasons for becoming a breeder. People may be more receptive to helping you if they know what you're about.

Minnie - CGC
Tanner
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM

Look. The reality is this. Really quality breeding females are difficult to find because breeders KEEP them. You cannot find a young adult female with all the necessary compenents for being a quality breeding dog, also in one of the more fad colors without taking out a mortgage on your house. We're talking MAJOR money, IF you can even find someone willing to sell the dog. There's usually SOME reason they're selling the dog. Either the puppies are not turning out the way they wanted, the bitch has some kind of issue (think fertility or temperament issues) and they want to sell her quick, or the bitch is old and maybe has 1 litter left?

If you look at the progression of most reputable hobby breeders they either started with a quality puppy from someone else's breeding program and raised and trained it and hoped it turned out right. OR they spent top dollar and obtained an older female which they got one or two litters from, retained females from those litters and went from there. I have also seen people who have an excellent male, stud it out to a quality female and retain a bitch puppy for a future breeding prospect.

Most people I know who have gone out and bought adult females with the intent of breeding have gotten screwed. I suggest that you look into developng a relationship with a reputable breeder that is close to you and maybe look into co-owning a bitch to get started under the guidance of that other breeder. It takes years to build a reputable program.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
I suggest that you look into developng a relationship with a reputable breeder that is close to you and maybe look into co-owning a bitch to get started under the guidance of that other breeder. It takes years to build a reputable program.
Darn! I was going to say that.

I also want to say, I like black dogs!! Its a bummer in the summer time, but if I got a GSD, it would have to be black and I'd wait as long as it took to find one. But I already have my dogs for the rest of my life.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
I suggest that you look into developng a relationship with a reputable breeder that is close to you and maybe look into co-owning a bitch to get started under the guidance of that other breeder. It takes years to build a reputable program.
Definitely. Breeding is very complicated and takes a lot of knowledge and experience. Your best bet is to find a breeder that is willing to mentor you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page