Avg cost of showline male - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Avg cost of showline male

I found a great looking 5 yr old intact male for sale locally, but had some questions as to a fair price for such a dog. I do not know his pedigree, it wasn't posted in the ad. He is untitled and never been bred. The ad stated that his hips were x-rayed at 18 mos old and were never sent in, but the vet said they looked good. Says he has great drive and a good temperament (good with kids and dogs, but not cats). They are asking $1500 for him.

Now is not the time for me to get another dog, perhaps next summer so I wouldn't be getting this particular dog (although he is gorgeous). But is what they are asking for him a good price or should a dog that costs that much actually be proven or titled or certified hips (hopefully all of the above). Just wondering is this too high a price to pay for a dog that is a great unknown when it comes to breeding, seems like he has been just a pet for 5 yrs.

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

All of that is very vague. The pedigree would be helpful. Whether or not I trust a vet's opinion on the x-rays would depend on the vet (and who took the rads). Positioning is critical and many vets do not know how to properly position x-rays. This does not mean they are bad vets, it's a very specialized thing so I would not give any weight on an opinion unless it came from an experienced radiologist looking at correctly positioned x-rays. Drive and temperament are also very subjective so personally I'd want to meet the dog and interact and draw my own conclusions.

Assuming the hips and elbows are good and the pedigree is decent, I would think $1500 is a pretty fair price though I'm not familiar with how males are sold. Some people adopt out brood bitches once they are "retired" and many are simply given away to suitable homes. I'm not sure how I feel about selling a 5 year old dog but again, the reasons are unknown to me. A proven show line stud dog of that age would be much much MUCH more expensive (like you don't even want to know). An 8 week old male German show line puppy with a great pedigree would probably be $1500-$3500 depending on the breeder and locale.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lies.

I say it is an average price for a "pet dog" as this dog has prelims but no offical certifications at this point. He also has no titles to prove that he can work (not saying he can't, just nothing saying he has been worked) and so I would consider him a "pet dog" or "companion dog" going by the description.

For a registered male puppy with proved parents (work and health) and a guarente, I would say that $1500 is the average price atleast here in Canada.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Just checking. Usually I see adult dogs for sale on various breeders' sites and the untitled/unproven ones seem to be $500-1000 depending on their lines. This one just seemed to be a bit high - they are selling him because he is going after their cats. The ad was very vague - I'd have to e-mail to get more info but since the dog is not attainable at this point anyway I didn't want to waste the owner's time.

Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

Usually puppies cost $1500

5 year old dogs are usually alot less

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

Not necessarily. A five year old dog with an excellent pedigree, but now related to everything in the breeders kennel will do them not so much good as keeping a young bitch in his place.

That dog can produce puppies for another five years easy.

Let's say that this dog is out of a World Sieger and World Siegerin, how many of us would take him for $1500, on the pedigree alone? However, there is something that does not ring true on the x-rays. If the x-rays looked normal and good they would probably have sent the pre-lims in and retested at two. Testing him at five years, even a dog with ok hips and elbows may not pass now. So if the dog had an Awesome pedigree, and this x-ray statement, my guess would be that they are not being completely up front.

Depending on the training, accomplishments, h&e, temperament, looks, medical history, and registration, I do not see this as out of the ball park for a 5 year old dog. With any of the following, awesome pedigree, a conformation champion, high acheivements such as SAR dog, OTCH, MACH, SchHIII, etc., proven producer of excellent dogs, the price should go up considerably.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for all the input! Seems like it would be easier to find a stud dog (and pay a stud fee) if and when that time ever came than to own both a male and a female.

Michelle

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Crowned Member

Easier than?...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsmom View Post
Thanks for all the input! Seems like it would be easier to find a stud dog (and pay a stud fee) if and when that time ever came than to own both a male and a female.
I think that is a MUCH wiser decision. You can take the time to really research and find a dog that's the best mix for your dog. Hopefully with a great breeder who can help match for the genetics, both good and bad, needed for the best pups possible.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

Oh I didn't realize the dog was possibly for breeding. In that case, YES it would be dumb to pay $1500 for an untitled, unproven male with no official hip and elbow ratings. You can breed to the top VA dogs for $1000 or less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page