does every dog owner have the right to breed? discussion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

does every dog owner have the right to breed? discussion

I've seen some posts on here lately where people think just because they have two pure bred GSDs that they love they have the right to breed them...also even two mutts. So without attacking any individuals on whats already happened I'd like to hear both sides reasoning as to what dogs should be bred or not bred.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Crowned Member

You seem to have already stated your position in your post...Do I think that people should have a criteria when they breed dogs ...yes...but it is also really tiring to read posts from people who are telling other people what they should do...sometimes accidents happen or whatever I don't know
post #3 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

It's my belief that even if they are going to spay/neuter everybody and keep them and can afford them, they still should not be bred until health tests are done. If they're keeping all puppies and don't care for them to be titled.. well..

If they want to sell, I think they should be titled and tested, and be good representations of the breed.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 PM

For me, the big issue on this topic is the shelter situation. Every life is so dearly important, yet so many get killed every day as a result of human negligence and ignorance. One persons mistake isn't another person's problem, sure, but I can't help but feel that the first option should always be to rescue a dog that already exists, and needs a home to love it.

That said, the working quality or temperment of these abandoned dogs is sometimes not appropriate to what a dog owner would like to do, activity/sport-wise. This is a good reason to breed two proven animals, in the seeking of a particular trait in a dog. Or, for the guarentee of lifelong support from a quality breeder. It's my opinin that offering these things to a buyer (or to family members, if the goal is to provide animals to people you love) are good reasons to breed. Sometimes things just happen, sure, but as dog owners, who are completely responsible for the health and happyness of our animals, and as responsible adults who have a love for dogs, of whatever breed, reducing the number who suffer and get killed, scared and sad, should be a constant concern, especially when deciding whether or not to bring more into the world.

I don't really want to argue, as I know this is something everyone will have their own passionate feelings about, I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.
post #5 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Does every dog owner have the right to breed? Yes, this is still a free country. Should they? No. I don't believe in forcing my beliefs in breeding on others (except my puppy owners), but I also do not support those whose breeding practices do not meet my own standards. I execute my rights by not buying what they are producing.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

I don't want to get into "rights" but how about responsibilities? if the person does have a litter of puppies, I do think that they need to step up and insure that the pups are vetted, find good homes, offer support to the new owners and step in if the pup needs to be re-homed.

I know that a lot of people get into the "all my friends want one" mode and decide to breed. Then, when the pups are weaned, suddenly all those homes disappear. Too many times, the breeder then just dumps them off at the pound because they can't find homes for them and now they are eating too much and pooping too much and making too much noise. Too bad, you made the decision to have these pups, now it's your responsibility, not something to be dumped off on someone else..
post #7 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
You seem to have already stated your position in your post...Do I think that people should have a criteria when they breed dogs ...yes...but it is also really tiring to read posts from people who are telling other people what they should do...sometimes accidents happen or whatever I don't know
I don't think people are meaning to sound like that, I think they are trying educate people of the problems caused by irresponisble breeding

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #8 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM

what Lisa ^^^said

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I was too distracted when I posted 1st. I meant to get thoughts on what should be bred and what shouldn't and is it right to do so just because you have a dog.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #10 of 214 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:51 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
For me, the big issue on this topic is the shelter situation. Every life is so dearly important, yet so many get killed every day as a result of human negligence and ignorance. One persons mistake isn't another person's problem, sure, but I can't help but feel that the first option should always be to rescue a dog that already exists, and needs a home to love it.
That is my main problem with everyone breeding more puppies just cause they can. My second problem is all the genetic issues in dogs, both mixed AND purebred. So without at least a basic interest in genetics and the backgrounds of both potential parent dogs........ the health and temperment of the puppies can be a big question that's not answered sometimes until years down the line.

If our shelters were empty and dogs no longer being killed by the thousands every day in the USA. And if people had at least a basic interest and concern about the genetic issues in their dogs and how to try to get rid of them in future puppies.......... then I'd be much more on board with people breeding their dogs.

I think it's the word 'responsible' that I find missing in many people who just want to breed their dogs. Responsible for health/temperment. Responsible for any puppies they ever breed for the entire lives of those dogs... to assure they don't end up in shelters (or even the puppies of these puppies, and so on and so on).

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 04-06-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page