LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Which CKC? Canadian or Continental?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

Is that CKC the Canadian Kennel Club, or the Continental Kennel Club? The former is a legitimate registry, but the latter is a fake registry for BYBs and puppy mills. AKC (American Kennel Club) and UKC (United Kennel Club) are also legitimate registries. Find out which your breeder is using, because if they are using Continental Kennel Club, it's a sure sign of poor breeding practices. Especially if you are looking to breed in the future--you want to start out the right way.
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Continental. How is it a fake registry? Is there a way to get a non-AKC registered pup and have it registered through AKC? Do they have any sort of way to prove your pup is purebred?

Now as far as naming kennels goes.... I think (at least for the moment), I'm learning toward giving it my grandma's maiden name of Daul. I thought calling it Daulhaus. Would the pups be voN Daulhaus, or voM Daulhaus, and does that even make sense whatsoever?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

No. the CKC (Continental) will "register" any dog as a purebred with only a photo. It is used by BYBs and puppy mills who cannot register their dogs with a legitimate registry, either because they have no pedigree, the breeder has been banned from the AKC, or what have you. Any breeder who uses the Continental Kennel Club is a breeder I would stay far, far away from. Gigantic red flag there. Keep looking. If you want to breed eventually, you need to stick with legitimate registries. AKC and other real registries will not accept CKC papers.
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:59 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

It would be voM Daulhaus because 'haus' is a feminin noun (like in French),

CKC(Continental) is not a reputable registry. We have had people here post their CKC registration papers for feedback, and turns out the pedigree was fake - easy to spot that the pedigree was fabricated if you know of some of the dogs listed, and colour genetics.

You would think that if you are going to lie and fabricate a pedigree, you would at least half-try to make it believable by not coming up with impossible genetic colour combinations.

I know from your other threads that you are very interested in breeding and training police service dogs - my suggestion to you is that a dog suitable for your goals is not going to come from a breeder that has CKC registered dogs - find a breeder that breeds for the same goals you want your dog to achieve, and has a TRACK RECORD of producing, placing and TRAINING dogs that end up as active working dogs.

From the sound of it, you are not even familiar of the difference between the different lines and their different traits and temperaments. Your first puppy should be a learning/practice puppy. Not a breeding prospect. Once you've raised your pup and trained it and titled it for everything under the sun (for you to gain experience and to learn about drives and working traits), THEN you will be in a much better position to find the right pup and think about breeding for your end goals.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #46 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM

That's good to know. I've looked into the CKC because I wasn't sure about it. The breeder I am looking at has AKC and CKC registered dogs. I figured she is a reputable breeder and sells her dogs all over the US and hasn't had any issues with them. Hmm. Good to know. Thank you!

Lucia; I was looking at one of my dad's pups for a "training" pup. His dogs are not registered, etc. The bitch has beautiful coloring, disposition, and confirmation; the stud is a white shepherd and I'm not a huge fan of his confirmation, but he's intelligent and gentle. I figured my first pup would be something to learn with. Find out what methods work, what will produce a willing partner, and what trainers I like, and who to stay away from. You're correct - I would love to breed police and/or service dogs, though I know I can't do it without the right genetics, traits, and training. I'm not looking to find a bitch to put out litters and call them K9s.

I'm not completely familiar with the different lines, no. I'm looking into all sorts of things so I can be prepared when I'm ready for a pup of my own. I've been scouring the forums here to find out all the information I can, and adventuring off to the wonderful world of Google when I'm not sure of something; or I ask ridiculous questions here so I understand what I need to know for the future. I truly appreciate all the help I've gotten here!

Last edited by burdock87; 11-09-2013 at 02:05 PM.
post #47 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Puppy mills sell their dogs all over. All it takes is a convincing web site. Here is a website from a breeder who breeds BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with dogs - not based on fancy pedigrees and great web marketing:
German Shepherd Breeder | Police Dogs | Schutzhund | Washington USA | BC Canada

Also sells and places pups all over the US and Canada - the difference is that K9 departments come to her for dogs because of knowledge of k9 dogs, and dogs she sells actually end up WORKING as k9. Anyone can make a claim on their website that their dogs come from police dogs (somewhere back in the pedigree), or that their dogs are suitable as working dogs, but unless people are lining up to get working dogs from the breeder because they have proven that they deliver what they advertise, then it is just talk.

Don't go for just the talk. Go for the walk. And breeding 20 litters and having one working dog in the bunch, that is not walking the walk, that is a fluke.

More on finding a breeder, and what to look for and avoid:
(Types of German Shepherds, by Wildhaus Kennels )

(German Shepherd Breeders, by Wildhaus Kennels)

How to tell a good breeder website from a bad one | Ruffly Speaking

Here is another breeder that walks the walks - don't need to brag all that much, their own personal accomplishments and the accomplishements of the dogs they have bred talk for themselves. The website makes my eyes hurt, LOL, but this is a breeder that knows working dogs, and their knowledge comes from years and years and years of working with dogs in many different venues -

http://www.diehlspolicek9training.com/main.asp

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #48 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM

I know what puppy mills are, though I figured this breeder was good, as her pups do go all over. I don't know where they end up, working-wise, or if they are just pets. I know my husband's dog came from them, and he is one of the best dogs I have ever had.

Guess I have more research ahead of me. That's ok...I still have to convince hubby I need a pup of my own so he can resume training his OWN dog.

I will definitely check out the links provided and go through the AKC website a little better. Maybe I can find a good pup there. (Now where was my Santa wish-list again?)
post #49 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:44 PM

The breeder may have some wonderful dogs, and the pups could very well be wonderful, healthy companions, but for your foundation bitch, you need to be more choosy - you have to know the difference between lines, get a dog from a breeder that has a track record for producing working traits, and the dogs are properly registered so that potential health issues can be tracked and avoided.

Once you start REALLY getting into training for actual working titles, like IPO or PSA or PP, you will get a solid understanding of drives, hardness, bidability, mental balance, good vs bad aggression, thresholds, reactivity, etc. You will see that not any dog has it what it takes, and that "IT" has to be bred for. It doesn't come just from training. Some lines have been bred for "IT" for generations, and that is the background you want in your breeding dog (again, one reason to have a dog with proper AKC registration, where you can trust the pedigree).

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #50 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Yeah, her dogs are amazing. They are family raised and socialized. They are around a variety of animals, situations, strangers...a little of everything. Their dogs are solid animals and fantastic companions. Bullet, I think, with proper training, could be a great narcotic dog. He's not much for bitework (he was injured before training for it, and hubby doesn't think he'd hold up to the physical strain. I think it's crap - Bullet runs and jumps and crawls and gets stomped by horses and doesn't STOP). I digress.

I like the working European line. They have a nice look to them, and as their name implies, they're for working. I guess I don't really want a show dog that will have less capability for performing.

Are you Wildhaus kennel, or do you just have a dog from them? I have looked into them numerous times and have been scared by the cost of the pup, though I know a great dog with bloodlines isn't going to be cheap. The more I look into them, the more I'm absolutely in love. I want to find the best possible animal for what I'd like to train for. Now to convince hubby that I absolutely need a great dog to start with so I can build on training later on down the road.

(Oh man, I can see this argument already. Me: Hey, hubby...what do you think of.....
hubby: NO. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page