German Shepherd Female Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

German Shepherd Female Question

I have been offered a co own female; she is 4 years old, titled, never had a litter yet. My plan is to show and gain experience. However the person I will co own with wants one litter from her. The deal I will have is I do hips/elbows if they pass the co owner gets a litter if not she is mine {must be spayed}! I have recently stumbled across the information that the mother of this co owned dog died at age 7 years of cardiomyopathy.

My questions are:

Is cardiomyopathy genetic?
When I do the cardio health test and she is clear; could she still pass it on?
Obviously when I do the cardio test if she comes back with a problem then spay her is the only option.

This will be my first dog and even though the litter will belong to the co owner my name will still be associated and I do not want to be irresponsible. I know the co owner is not irresponsible. She has a great name and I have emailed these questions to her as well but looking for other opinions so I can make the right choice and have as much information as possible.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Re: German Shepherd Female Question

yes, yes and why doesn't the person who owns this 4 yr old dog have the xrays done already?

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angela_Wyes, yes and why doesn't the person who owns this 4 yr old dog have the xrays done already?
She has been extremely busy with some personal issues and as a result never bred her and never did the xrays. I do not mind doing the xrays that is not a big deal to me. It is the cardiomyopathy that I know nothing about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Even if the hips/elbows pass wouldn't it be a bad idea to breed her since cardiomyopathy is genetic and she could still pass it even though she's clear? (I know nothing about breeding but it's common sense...)
I think that sounds a little irresponsible on her part.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

I was wondering the same thing as Angela re: the lack of x-rays.

If I wanted to go into a co-ownership, I wouldn't do it with a dog that is that old, hasn't been bred AND hasn't even been x-rayed.

Sounds like yoo much chance of it being a "loose, loose" situation for YOU. If her hips and or elbows don't pass, you automatically have a "pet".

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ShowGSDShe has been extremely busy with some personal issues and as a result never bred her and never did the xrays. I do not mind doing the xrays that is not a big deal to me. It is the cardiomyopathy that I know nothing about.
For 4 years?? I think I'd skip on this one.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DenaliFofaliEven if the hips/elbows pass wouldn't it be a bad idea to breed her since cardiomyopathy is genetic and she could still pass it even though she's clear? (I know nothing about breeding but it's common sense...)
I think that sounds a little irresponsible on her part.
I do not know if she is even aware of the cardiomyopathy. I searched long and hard over the pedigree and by accident stumbled across the information. It is not readily available. I have emailed her but she is extremely busy so have not heard back yet. Too be fair I will not claim someone is irresponsible until they have a fair chance to respond. This breeder has supplied me with a ton of good information and helped me in my ambition to get a show dog.

I did not know if it was genetic or not so I was looking for answers and resources for more information. I know these topics can get heated but please let's not attack someone without the full information.

I asked because I did not know. Now I know! That is how we learn!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD
If her hips and or elbows don't pass, you automatically have a "pet".
My goal in this is:

I would like to be able to show and gain experience. A pet is fine with me! I do not need to breed as I am not ready for that step yet. So if hips or elbows do not pass, and I have a pet that I can show and gain experience and give her a great non breeding life, that is ok with me.

The litter would be the co owners and not mine. It would be her first and last litter however if she has a genetic issue then I prefer to just pass or spay her right away.

Can I do obedience and tracking with a spayed dog? I know confirmation must be intact but she already has her champion so no need to continue there.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Quote:
Quote:I have emailed her but she is extremely busy so have not heard back yet. Too be fair I will not claim someone is irresponsible until they have a fair chance to respond. This breeder has supplied me with a ton of good information and helped me in my ambition to get a show dog.

I'm not attacking her at all.
But personally with all the information, I would not go through with this one.

No X-rays for 4 years is a little weird too.
What if her hips are bad??

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/ca...iomyopathy.htm

It was the mother of the dog you are considering? So not that far back to get that information one would think!

Glad you are doing that due diligence and won't cause families much heartbreak as their young dogs pass away from a preventable problem (preventable by not passing it on). And no dogs will have to suffer shortened, painful lives. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page