Another Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Another Question

Before you started breeding your breed of choice, did you do a trial breeding with a different breed?

I'm sure that came out wrong. But I know want to breed Kelpies but I'm thinking of doing a couple breedings with a different breed. I love the JRT and am thinking of starting with them since they are a smaller breed and I'd be able to start breeding sooner. I could get my feet wet and then when I'm able, switch to the Kelpie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still doing the health research with the JRT and I'll do the titling and such.

And I'm rambling.. Sorry..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The most powerful feeling is the knowing you belong, and you are right were you should be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Re: Another Question

No. My breed is the GSD so I have put all of my energy, time, work, etc into that breed. I did title a Dobie years ago and have bred horses, cattle, rabbits and sheep so had "breeding" experience in other species.

If your breed of choice is te Kelpie than, IMO, you should be putting all of your effort into that breed. Get out there and learn about them, train them, title them, handle a number of dogs and then down the road start breeding. What the world needs is more extremely educated breeders not just more breeders.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

Switching brands is understandable in cars - in candy - in Bar b que sauce! But breeders who are committed are those who love and respect a breed and breed for the love of that breed....not for something to do or for income or for no other reason than that they have an intact female .... If you love a particular breed, and want to breed, then I agree with Lisa, spend several years learning and understanding the bloodlines, the temperament etc before having a litter. Doing JRTs "first" and "switching" does not communicate a serious commitment to Kelpies..

JMHO

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah rather than switching, I'd say get a mentor in the breed you want and help with a few births, or co-own a bitch.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

My mentor for the kelpie lives in Ontario so that's not possible. But if I started with the JRT, I'd have more help. I'm in love with the JRT and am still learning about them.
But I understand where ya'll are coming from thou. That's why I ask.

The most powerful feeling is the knowing you belong, and you are right were you should be
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quoteoing JRTs "first" and "switching" does not communicate a serious commitment to Kelpies..
Nor does it show much devotion to JRTs.

IMO, breeders should have a 'vision' of what they want to accomplish with their breed(s). A desire to simply produce 'nice dogs' lacks the requisite fire & passion.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

I would look at it from a buyer's perspective: what would YOU be looking for in a breeder?

Maybe I'm an outlier but I'm pretty critical. I won't buy from anyone who can spend thousands on top dogs and breed them because I don't care about that. I won't buy from people that I don't think are actually involved in their breed. My dogs are my pets, I work full time and have other freelance jobs on the side and yet if I'm making the time to be in shows and trials every other weekend and training at various clubs in the area but never see certain breeders at these events, regardless of how nice of breeding dogs they purchased, I look somewhere else. So to me the quality of a breeder is not just the quality of the dog but what efforts have been made for that dog to reach full potential. Also, I cannot trust a breeder really knows how to pair dogs based on temperament and drive if they've never trained or worked the dogs themselves.

So for myself, I look at the breeder as carefully as I look at the dogs, otherwise I can get a dog from a rescue for a lot cheaper.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I plan on working my dogs in both conformation and sports. I want to see the breed doing what it's bred to do. I wouldn't breed two dogs together just based on temperament or drive. I would need to see proof that the dogs have been trained and worked to the best ability to prove the dog's worth.
My thinking on "switching" (which is really the wrong term) was space issues. I don't to want breed large dogs in a small space. I won't be breeding at all for a few years as I'm still looking for THE dog for me at the moment.
I'd like to work my Kelpies on sheep in my own place as well as in sports and conformation but I can't own sheep in the town limits.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

Just my .02, not as a breeder but as a buyer.

If I was looking at a breeder and discovered that before they bred my breed of choice they bred another just for the experience I would walk away and find another breeder.

I believe that breeders should breed because they love the breed and want to see it preserved - not because they want to get experience.

Find a mentor near you. If you really want whelping experience and can't find a Kelpie mentor near you, find a mentor that has a different breed.

Please don't breed dogs just for the experience

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Crowned Member

Adding to what Barb and Lies said, a big part of it for me is that there is no connection between Kelpies and JRTs.

If someone were raising a smaller breed of terrier (due to space issues) then moved on to raise airedales, I could kind of understand that. It shows a commitment to a certain type of dog (in this case, the terrier). Terriers tend to have similar health and behavior issues, so you would be building upon your knowledge over the years. Someone who raised cockers and springers, that makes sense to me. Certain breeds of herding dogs, sure.

It says "I'm a committed terrier person. I love terriers and I commit to these two breeds." It's not ideal, but I have met people who have bred two kinds of dogs over their careers, and it made sense.

But kelpies and JRTs doesn't work for me. I'm a beagle person as well as a GSD person,. but I realize there's no connection between the two (and I'm not looking to breed them). What I learn from my GSD isn't transferable to my beagles for the most part and visa versa. I don't become more of an expert in GSDs by having more beagles (except in the areas where beagles and GSDs have overlapping health genetic predispositions). Certainly, I don't gain much more insight on either behaviorally because they're very different animals.

Kelpies and JRTs go together like Peanut Butter and steak. They may both be great on their own, but for most knowledgeable people, the combination makes you think, "huh?"

So your scenario doesn't work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page