How many pups do breeders take back? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How many pups do breeders take back?

Do breeders often take back pups or it is a rare occurrence? I am thinking about going into breeding in the next 2 years. Not for Shepherds but for Dogue De Bordeaux or French Mastiffs. I am just starting to research the breed intensely and have a breeder/shower friend that I will probably acquire a pup from in June, and learn all I can from. The stud of his kennel has a .39 Penn Hip Score. The bitch has a Penn hip score in the 80th percentile.

Anyways back to the original question...how many have you taken back? Have you ever had a hard time placing pups?
There is a true need in the US for a good breeder of Bordeaux as the breeders I have seen hardly ever do Penn Hip or OFA testing, which is just horrible. I truly believe that I can help improve the quality of the breed if I do decide to take the plunge. Of course all Penn/OFA testing as well as many other tests would be run on my Dogues. Right now the things that worry me are not having the room if I end up taking back numerous pups for one reason or another, and the economy making the purchase of even stellar quality Dogues none existent. Thoughts and critiques?

The down side is that I would no longer foster due to health concerns for the Dogues.

Riley Feb 07 GSD
Snowy Apr 06 Cat
Pichu Apr 06 Cat
Baby Girl Dec 07 Blind Tortie Shell Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Trooper Jan 93-0ct 03 my heart, my soul
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Master Member

Re: How many pups do breeders take back?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Tri-shepherdDo breeders often take back pups or it is a rare occurrence? I am thinking about going into breeding in the next 2 years.
My sister shows Gordon Setters and has raised 3 or 4 litters from her show dogs. She has not had the need to take back any puppies however she has taken back several adult dogs from people who no longer wanted them for various reasons. She has it in her contract that she will take the dogs back at any time. She took one back that the owner when against the contract and took him to a shelter when he was moving ~ the shelter fortunately asked for the breeder's name ~ then called Gordon Setter Rescue who then called her.

She easily re-homed all but 1 which she kept. The one she kept was about 2 years old when she took her back. The people no longer wanted her because "she growled at someone who walked past her crate while she was chewing on a rawhide". Dazzle (old owners named her) is the sweetest dog and is doing well in agility & obedience training.

Julie

Time spent with your dog is never wasted!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD
Copper - Beagle
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member

This thread doesn't answer your question directly, but had some interesting thoughts:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

What is this breed bred for? What kind of breed tests do they do to check temperament?

I always wonder that for some of the small breeds too...

Wow, just read the description of the breed a bit. I would think as a breeder (or rescue) the match making of owner to dog would be A. of paramount importance and B. you would have to screen through a ton of people looking for ego enhancers/macho/macha issues to find homes that were right for the dogs

I have wondered about that too, if as breeders you would be looking at adult returns, after mistakes had been made even more than puppy returns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 AM
dd
Crowned Member

I agree that a good breeder will take back dogs at any time in the dog's life. I have met a breeder (of dobies) who was flying an 8 year old dog back from across the country to spend his senior years with her since his family's situation had changed.

So it's not just a puppy thing.

dd

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

The oldest I've had come back was a 2 yr old male, couple was in seminary, had to move in with parents who had hybrids and didn't get along with strange dogs. He's now with a sch. judge who hopes to get his sch1 done shortly and qualify for nationals with him.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We've never had cause to take back a dog we bred while still a pup, but have taken back 3 older ones. One at 12 months who turned out to be too much dog for the family, one at 16 months who we were co-owning with a friend but his situation changed and he could no longer keep her, and one at 2 years whose owner turned out to be a scumbag who abused and neglected the dog.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The Dogue De Bordeaux is a Molosser that was originally breed as a Guard dog. They are breed for their courage, loyalty, and their strong sense of territory. They should be powerful and athletic. They should never shows signs of nervousness or aggressiveness. They need to have a strong solid temperament making them have the ability to guard without aggression unless it is absolutely necessary. Their overall nature is that of a gentle giant.

Basically they are breed for a strong solid intimidating athletic body with a solid unwavering temperament. Loyal and protect yet gentle.

Don't know if that made sense. They are the Turner and Hooch dogues. They are giant lovable dogues that are meant to be imposing and not vicious.
I don't know that any formal checks are done to check for their temperament in the US. They are meant to only be breed by a breeder that socializes them at a very early age and raises them indoors interacting with people for the first 8 weeks. They should be calm, gentle, and patient.

Riley Feb 07 GSD
Snowy Apr 06 Cat
Pichu Apr 06 Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 AM

I hope this isn't a hijack, or if this question is too personal, just ignore . When you (breeders in general, not singling anyone out) say "take back" a dog, are you refunding the original purchase price or is the owner just turning the dog over to you?

-Sarah

Amara CGC

CGC
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Crowned Member

depends on the situation, but most times its turning the dog over.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I don't so much worry about placing them to the right family, because being in rescue I have learned how hard to question in what areas. A Dogue would not be happy in a single household with no other companions or one that is not experienced with strong owners used to handling slightly stubborn strong willed Dogues. The owners that mention anything about wanting a "guard dogue" even if that is what they are breed for would not get a pup from me.

Was it easy for everyone to place the older dogs after they were returned? I have absolutely no problem taking them back except for the limit of room that I have. I would expect them to be brought back if there were ever any problems.
All the pups will be microchipped before they ever leave my property.
I would be highly PO'd if one of mine ever ended up in a shelter.
I can tell you the guy I am looking at being my mentor has four and when I went to spend time with him and the Dogues they are very intimidating, the ground will literally shake when they bark....and then you are drooled on as soon has he grants you access to his yard....and I mean a lot of drool! Their temperament is solid and desired...except his were not raised with cats and when he tried to bring one in they did chase it to the ends of the earth. They never once hurt it, but did not want it in their territory. On the flip side there are plenty that live with tiny kittens.

Riley Feb 07 GSD
Snowy Apr 06 Cat
Pichu Apr 06 Cat
Tiger Oct 08 Cat
Kiyoko Apr 09 DDB
At the Bridge:
Ruby Jan 98-Jan 11 GSD
Bear Aug 03-June 11 GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page