Advertising your first litter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD
Advertising your first litter

All good breeders with waiting lists were newbies at one time. Just wondering, where do you recommend advertising your litter? Is it really terrible to advertise puppies in the newspaper if you are screening your potential homes? Do you advertise on any specific websites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: Advertising your first litter

I used the newspaper as last resort, and I have gotten some really great homes from that, I did the screening, contracts and followups and even 4/5 years later I am still in contact with most of my first litter, I used hobbly.com and puppy find and http://www.qualitydogs.com/ I am still a newbie with only having 4 litters but everyone of the homes I have been very happy and pleased with and couldn't ask for better homes.

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

I have gotten good homes out of the newspaper. My vet has recommended me to several of the people that have my puppies. My sister continues to get her friends and work people to buy my pups. AKC listing has gotten me a couple of nibbles. Local GSD club has netted me nothing. My friend who is also breeding GSDs has sent a few people my way. Being out with my puppies/dogs and being at shows has netted me a home or two.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Come on, Wildhaus, Zu Treuen Handen, Wolfstraum, Triton, Gabor and Sue Szilasi, and the others who I know I've missed, we'd love to know how you advertised your first litters.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Word of mouth. I have never advertised a litter.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not a breeder but I FOUND my breeder through word-of-mouth. I was looking into getting a rescue GSD and someone in rescue told me about her. I've never seen her dogs advertised anywhere. Sometimes the planned breedings are on her site or a picture of both parents and then the number of pups with the birthdate but that's it. Even so, the demand always exceeds the supply.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Crowned Member

I think with an excellent established breeder, who breeds now and then, the demand would exceed the supply. But first the first litter or two, the breeder is not established and a giant question mark to people in the right circles. I think this is what was actually asked about.

I am not so sure about websites as a good way to look for a breeder. Anyone could post photos that make their place look good even if it is a dive. People can also post other people's photos. I think you can start there, but you still have to check references and visit the breeder before deciding on a purchase.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: selzerI think with an excellent established breeder, who breeds now and then, the demand would exceed the supply. But first the first litter or two, the breeder is not established and a giant question mark to people in the right circles. I think this is what was actually asked about.
Fair enough, but if the dogs are being trained, shown, and worked, people at shows and the training clubs should know they exist and express interest.

Sure anyone can say what they want on a web site, I'm not sure how much good they really do anyway even when honest so I agree there. I got my dogs word-of-mouth and I think a good number of people find dogs/breeders using forums like this. Best to always meet the breeder, attend clubs and shows for good opinions. I personally would never consider buying a dog just based on the parents' pics on a web site unless I was already familiar with the dogs and the breeder.

If I was going to go into breeding, I'd probably attach myself to a well-established breeder first, like owning a stud or co-owning a bitch.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: selzerI think with an excellent established breeder, who breeds now and then, the demand would exceed the supply. But first the first litter or two, the breeder is not established and a giant question mark to people in the right circles. I think this is what was actually asked about.
Yes, this is what I was asking about. When a breeder is not yet established for their first litter or two, where do people choose to advertise.
As one of the previous posters had mentioned, they didn't get much response from advertising at a breed club. I think this would *generally* be true, as most people involved in training already have thier hands full with the dogs they have, or are breeders themselves. And as for being seen in shows and trials, I would think it would bea similar response as at a club-already have dogs or breeders, except for the small group of people who aren't competing and just there to watch.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Liesje- Love that tug picture of Nikon by the way = ) That's how Berlin looks a lot of the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page