What is your name... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
What is your name...

...and do you like it? Is there a story on how you got it?

Mine is Emily and I HATE it!! (as if it can get any worse, I was named after an old Mac Davis song called Emily Suzanne)

My older daughter, Mackenzie, wants to be called Elizabeth. In fact, we were at the vet one day and the other kids mother referred to Mackenzie as Elizabeth and I just looked at her. She asked if that wasnt my daughters name and I said no. Mackenzie had told her and her daughters that her name was Elizabeth. At 6yo she is using an alias.

My baby is named Dharma (Mackenzie's choice). When I had her, Kenzie got to come in first (after my husband) and got to choose her name from Dharma, Harlequin, Gwen or Jacinda. (Jacinda was my favorite). It has taken some time for me to get used to the name Dharma.

Mandalay was another choice we had for the baby, but Mackenzie made it clear that she was not going to choose that one, so I gave it to the puppy when we got her while I was pregnant...I am glad, too...it fits her. I know it would have been strange for a baby anyway, but I loved the name Mandalay for some reason...maybe cuz it is different and unique.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Re: What is your name...

My name is Lin. I'm so incognito, huh? Its ok, lol. I like it, don't love it or hate it. I hate no one spelling it right... lol. I have more strong feelings about my last name.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Knighted Member

My name is Päivi... with the umlaut over the A... I am from Finland and it is a Finnish name obviously... has no meaning to it, as far as I know.. the funniest thing is that my Mom and DAd were gonna name me "Lea" but my Mom said that well that could be spelled either "Lea OR Leea"... and then the poor thing would always have to spell her name, and specify if it is with ONE or TWO E's...
well guess what.. since I moved here, I STILL have to spell my name and it is WAY more difficult than Lea or Leea would be...LOL!

Päivi
Mom of
Cody 3 yrs, CGC, CDX, BH, TDI, TT, TD -HOT
VP Myth Vom Triton (Brandie) 2 yrs, CGC, BH, TT -HOT
Iida -American Shorthair Cat 5 yrs,
Odin -Bengal Cat 4 yrs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

lol. Ok because of your story I'm going to go into more detail than I was going to.... My full name was Lindsey. My mom wanted to name me Nicole Lindsey, but hated nicknames and didnt want me going by Nikki so she swapped it to Lindsey Nicole. And I always went by Lin its REALLY funny because if my name was Nicole I'd use Nicole. I really hate my full name (have some reasons though) and a while back finally had a legal name change so I would never have to mess with Drs offices and such saying "I'm sorry we need to use your LEGAL name."

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

well my name is Dawn
Its ok I guess but when people spell it the DON I get aggravated

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

I am the youngest of 8 kids in a Catholic family. I am the ONLY girl whose name doesn't start with Mary.

Although I have a rather normal name I'm always having to spell it. Most people spell it Lori or Laurie.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

My name is Tracy.
I have never liked it but don't hate it either. I DO dislike the spelling. Since it is a name for guys OR girls, I get a LOT of mail to Mr Tracy... Since ALL men I have seen with the name have it spelled Tracy. But a lot of times with women it is Traci, Tracie, or Tracey. So I am constantly having to spell it for people.

The fact that I get mail that says "Mr." is the reason I feel bad for babies that get a name that can be used for either boys or girls. It also seems like a lot of parents don't take into consideration how likely it is that the child will be teased in school because of their name.

When I was born, my Mom wanted to name me Stephanie, my idiot dads choice was "Suzy". My mom said ABSOLUTELY NOT! Tracy was the compromise. There were 3 of us with the same first name in my grade in high school. We were all female, but our names were all spelled differently.

My sisters, (that happen to be 18 and 20 years YOUNGER than me.) are "Toni" and "Lacy". Everyone KNOWS they are girls, Either by the spelling in Tonis case, or by the name in Lacys case.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Knighted Member

I can't say my name is just okay. I hate my name, always did. Of course now that I'm starting to run into more people with the same name it makes me feel a little better. Wanda is not a name I would name one of my kids.

Of course my name does stand out as not being one you hear all the time.

My oldest daughter I named Jennifer, low and behold every other girl in the hospital at that time was named Jennifer.

Same thing when my daughter Ashley was born. Every girl born was named Ashley in that same hospital.

CGC Evaluator/ Free testing for Rescue dogs

Klenien Hain

U-CD Nomex vom Gebirgshaus SAR,BH,TD-2,VCD2,RAE,CDX,MXJ,AX,VER,NAP,NJP,CGC ( Retired )
Enzo z Blitz vom Kleinen Hain CGC NA,NAJ,OA,OAJ,AX,BN,CD
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110

I like my name Nicole. My mom was close to naming me Nikki, but instead decided to use it as a nickname and not as my legal name, which was a good choice, but almost everyone I know calls me Nikki anyways. I was almost a Rachel and a Jessica though, but I like Nicole the best, I knew way to many Jessica's & Rachels in school. I've got one name for DH & I's future children, Ashley, love it. I also like Alexander, but we'll see. His parents already mentioned to keep their family names in there, but since I already took on his last name, I think thats up to us to decide. (They are all James, Johns, Davids and Josephs, nothing wrong with that, but I don't like it, it gets confusing when you have more than one!)

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Elite Member

My mother had to always be different. She said she would name the baby after my dad's mom. Her name is Cora Etta Casaday.

What to do? She combined the first and middle names, dropped the "a"s and came up with Corette....my first name.

50+ years of "what's your name".....Clorette....Collette...Claudette...you name it!

I finally solved the problem (when I was a sales rep and customers MUST remember your name!)....I tell everybody that it's Corvette without the "v". Everybody gets it. LOL

Don't particularly like it....or hate it....it's a non issue. I got used to people not really knowing what my name is..

CAMP PAPPY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page