Crated or uncrated? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
Crated or uncrated?

Mandalay is still crated during the day when we are not there (@ 8.5 months). At night sometimes she is and sometimes she isnt. I try not to,but it depends on how much time I am able to get out with her right before bedtime (basically it depends on how the 4 mo goes to sleep that night). I have found that if Mandi is not tired enough she tries to get my 6yo to play during the night by dropping toys on her. While i think it is kinda funny that DD wakes up with a bedful of dog toys...she does not.

I know my Doberman stayed out of the crate after she was 6 months old, cuz she stayed out after she was spayed and that is when she was spayed. I dont remember when she stayed out during the day though.

Are your dogs crated when you are not there?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: Crated or uncrated?

I have 2 that isn't if they are in the house and one that is all because i can't trust him yet he is almost two but he hasn't matured up in the brain yet..LOL too much stuff for him to get into, the other two is almost 5 and 4 so a little bit older

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Knighted Member

We tried to crate train Molly, our Jack Russell, too late. She was already a few years old when we started and that didn't go well. So, she has free reign of the middle floor where we have no carpet.

We started leaving Elmo out of his crate a few months ago. We went out one evening and both of us thought the other had locked Elmo's crate. Oops. But, we came back and everything was as we had left it. So, we've been leaving him loose also. Molly is happier now that her buddy is out with her while we're gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM

All 3 of mine are crated when nobody is home. 99% of the time, I am home. So we really have no issues besides getting into the trash every so often. When I am home and even at nite khee and chyanne are out and sleep where they want. The beagle stays in his crate at nite.

Michael

Khee - 2yrs old Lab/Collie
Chyanne - 4 yrs old Blk/Tan GSD Rescue (GSDRCI)
Bleugh - 2.5 yrs old Blue Tic Beagle
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Elite Member

I don't remember how old my "seniors" were when I did away with the crates during the day and night, but my pup Koda (5 months now) has been out of the crate at night for about a month (I really expected to be woken at night to him wanting to play with the other two but he didn't make a peep all night and waited for me to get up first!) and now I can leave him for short periods of time during the day without being in the crate. Last night we left him out for about 3 1/2 hours when we went bowling and he hadn't done a thing wrong! I will continue to leave him out for short periods and gradually extend the time out of the crate. He's doing really well so far.

Mum to:

Ellie, GSD -CD GN RE CGC
Koda, GSD -TD CD RN HIC CGC
Zena, GSD, the shelter dog
Snacks, the shelter cat.

Traverse & Kessler

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Knighted Member

Jesse has been a great puppy and calm and cool since he was 8 weeks old, he wasn't crated at night after 10 weeks and has been sleeping with us. He was only crated if we were not home up to 6 months of age but I was home a lot so he didn't spend that much time in crate, he hasn't done anything wrong in our house in all the time we have had him, he knows to chew his toys only. He is free home alone but usually not for more than 3 hours at a time.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Ivy is not crated.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Master Member

Both of my dogs use their crates only when they know it's my bed time. I never close the doors. I crated Inga when I left the house until she was about 1 year old and a few days after trying not to crate her and throwing caution to the wind, I came home to a totally destroyed down comforter and pillows, so it was back in the crate until finally at around 20 months I chanced it again and I have not had another problem. My Bull Terrier is so mellow, I think he can't wait until I leave the house so he can sleep in the same spot till I return. I have never "had" to crate him in order for him to behave. Two different personalities. I think it depends on the dog.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Master Member

Around 9 mos or so, Kodee started sleeping in my room uncrated at night (bedroom door shut). Not long after that, I started leaving him uncrated in the kitchen for short periods of time when I ran errands. He never bothered anything, so it wasn't long before I started leaving him uncrated, even if we're gone all day. I put the crate away, and we have a nice baby gate in the kitchen doorway, just for Kodee. It's not too inconvenient, since it's the type of gate that swings open (you don't have to step over it). I probably eventually will let him have the run of the house while we're gone, as he's very well behaved, usually. However, at 14 mos, he still can be tempted into evil-doing, if he can find something that he thinks would be fun to chew...LOL
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

Neither of mine are crated. And at night they both sleep in my bed, so I have never used the crate. Riddick has never in his life been crated, Rogue I tried to crate in the beginning but she would howl so loud even if I slept in front of the crate. So that didn't work. They are both great in the house when I am gone so need for a crate with us.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page