How Much in Damage has has your GSD done??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How Much in Damage has has your GSD done???

I was wondering how many of us own perfect GSDs who would never even think of “stealing” your stuff and how many have GSDs who like to "play" with things that aren’t exactly theirs!!! The best way to quantify this is in a damage dollar amount.

Things to think about when deciding if your GSD is perfect or if their radar is set to destroy.

Electronics (remote, cell phone, wires, vacuum, ect.)
Furniture (couch, chair, bed, table, pillows, blankets ect.)
House (The baseboards, stairs, cabinets, doors ect.)
Smaller items of interest (clothes, shoes, ect)

(Be creative, they are!!)

Cara
Here's my train of thought, you can follow it if you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ GSD, born 2-9-2008
Lucky~ Golden Retriever, 2.5 years old
Mr. Monk~ Taunting Tabby Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How Much in Damage has has your GSD done???

$0.00
Is Dante perfect?

No

He has had little chance to destroy things since he's crate trained - though he does have run of the house now.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

How appropriate - I took the covers off my sofa this past weekend to wash. Let them air dry. Bottom cushions were left in the living room cause my dogs don't chew anymore or so I thought. Came home his afternoon from work - looked in the living room and saw one chewed up sofa cushion. So this sofa is done with. Not good. I don't need this right now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't say Apollo is perfect, but he hasn't really destroyed anything. Not that he's had much opportunity, but when he has, he's never gone after it. Zeus on the other hand, Sneaky!!!

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Renji chewed a little nub off my sandals and of course there are the balls he's chewed up. And also, we do play kong-fetch in the house (up a bit of stairs) and there are kong scuffs all over the staircase walls, plus an area where his tooth scraped off drywall down to the metal due to being a little overzealous with the fetching. It's all good, gives our house character. Yeah.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Chrono likes cords and he lives with a family of gamers, so a lot of games, remotes, cords and chargers have been destroyed.

He also loves to eat my bras which are like $40 each. He's killed two already and I have to make sure they are never left on the floor. I don't care so much about the money, it's just annoying because it's really, really difficult to find my size.

He's destroyed a lot of my underwear too. Another really bad thing is that he likes to chew up glasses. I had just bought a new pair of glasses for $600 (I have bad eyesight so it cost a lot) and about a month later he chewed them up. I can still see out of them.
sort of....

He also completely broke an old pair of glasses.

Hmm I wish I could change my answer, he's probably broken over $1000. He's not really much of a chewer, he just has expensive tastes!

post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Crowned Member

Kenya has chewed a coat hanger. Coke has ruined one shoe. Other things I don't hold against them are things I left out (food or food containers, a few treat pouches) or things they didn't destroy (my slippers).

I'd say I'm pretty lucky!
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Master Member

Mya has an addiction for electronics cords. And also measuring cups.

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Camper has damaged nothing. He's nosy and likes to sniff around bags and boxes, but he doesn't actually touch anything.

Now, Meri, my beagle pup, that kid is a paper shredder. Every magazine I ever had lying around, because there was an article I wanted to cut out and save? Itty bitty pieces of paper everywhere. Camper spoiled me, and I forgot how "proofed" a puppy-proof house has to truly be. Meri also loves to snag socks (from the laundry pile, the clean clothes waiting to be folded, etc) and run with them into the back yard. She doesn't damage them, but at any time, I have about 5 socks in my back yard. I'm ALWAYS washing socks now.

But compared to when I was young and didn't understand that the key to keeping a pup from chewing meant managing the ENVIRONMENT, I"m doing ok. Zamboni chewed everything. I've learned A LOT in the last 15 years!
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Knighted Member

If it is not over $1000 it is close.

I have to keep a baby gate on my bedroom door now. He went downstairs in the middle of the night and chewed up a $600 chair.

Before that when he was 6 months when he was stilling healing from his surgery he chewed the bottom of our dresser.

I do not want to think about all this! Bad thread.

I got his number now though. If he gets something it is a paper towel or something minor. I keep him exercised not that he is healed. He was a very frustrated pup!!

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page