Would You Protect You? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
Would You Protect You?

I sent my DH out for a shake at the end of my pregnancy when Mandi was 5 months old. He left and came back and Mandalay never uttered a woof. Now, 3 months later, I wonder if she would bark now. If someone were to come into my home in the middle of the night, I wonder if she would stay asleep or if she would wake up long enough to bark.

What would your dog(s) do?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Would You Protect You?

In my experience, it's pretty normal to not utter a woof when a family member returns home. Our dogs don't typically bark at either of us when we get home, regardless of whether it's a time they'd normally expect us home, or an odd time of the day.

They seem to know who if it's one of us before we even open the door, whether by smell, recognizing the sound of our cars, I have no idea. But somehow they know and there generally isn't barking when a "pack" member returns.

When someone else comes to the house, they do bark. Doesn't matter if it's a stranger or a friend/family member that they know. That person isn't a part of our household, so it deserves barking.. usually as soon as the person turns off the road into the driveway. If someone showed up at the house in the middle of the night, they'd let us know before the person had even made it all the way down the driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Knighted Member

My husband goes out with his friends every Thursday night and comes home around 10:30-11pm a night and I'm already in bed. I sleep with the bedroom door open so Molly has free roam of the house. 9 times out of 10 she is barking as soon as she hears a car pull into the driveway, then quiets down once she realizes it's only my husband. I think Molly would definitely alert us if someone was in the house at night.

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Crowned Member

When we are home the dogs are pretty mellow to a point.
But if DH goes to play cards let me tell you every 5 minutes they are barking at something, Brady knows he has to protect mom when dad isn't home. Whe he does come home they bark once and then the rest of the night is peaceful

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Our dogs sleep in our room with us. Coke would give a bark or two if he heard someone in the house. Kenya only barks when she's REALLY excited, or if Coke is barking, so she may or may not bark herself.

Both dogs allow anyone to enter the house. They will bark (more out of excitement). Once the person comes in, Kenya will go under my desk since she is shy. Coke will wiggle his butt and greet the person. I have various pet-sitters that stay in my home, plus family members and friends that stop over for various reasons when I'm not there. For me it would be a HUGE liability to have dogs that were over-protective of my home and yard. People who don't know my dogs would hear their bark, see them, and be terrified. Coke's bark is loud and VERY deep, menacing. Kenya's barks are short, like "yap yap yap yap yap yap!" and sound quite aggressive. If the barks and the look of a working line GSD are not enough to deter an intruder, then I guess I'd be screwed!
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

It wouldn't end well. Morgan doesn't let anyone in without my say so, even people she knows well.

We had a creature come in the yard last night. How did she and Otti know when they were taking a nap in the den while I watched TV? Dunno but they both had to go out, she took off like in a fur blur out the door. In the street lights, I could see she was chasing something - across the driveway - pinned it behind the trash barrel then dragged it out and gave it 5 or 6 shakes before I was able to get out the back door, grab the puppy and then grab her. I thought she killed it and completely freaked out when she came in the house drooling what later turned out to be mud. It snuck off before I could get back out there with the pupper - on leash and barking his little head off at the spot where Morgan tried to kill whatever it was.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

Let me add to that - when DDH was still with us, Morgan would let him in the house. My last post made it sound like she wouldn't let in someone who lives here. WHen my parents stayed with us for a while, she'd let them in too.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
DnP
Elite Member

During the day, I have found that Phoenix will let anyone into the house and greets all folks at our house as if they were a long lost friend. (delivery men included)

For the first three months of adopting Phoenix, I never heard him bark or growl. Not once. Even if there was a door bell ring on the tv.

Eventually, he began to bark, but only when it was dark outside or if he was playing with my brother's dog.

THEN last month, I went to go let him out around 4am one Saturday morning to go pee and before I even got the storm door open, he let out this deep growl I'd never heard out of him before. I check on each side to make sure there wasn't a critter (read: SKUNK) out there before I let him out. Next thing I know, he ran to the middle of the front yard, doing the rabid dog bark as if he were going to rip into something. When I looked out at the road, I notice a guy walking along the shoulder. (I live on a country road where folks rarely walk) Phoenix's response surprised me b/c even when I called him back, he kept up with the deep growl until the guy was a good distance away from the house. Made me rethink that Phoenix will never be a good guard dog.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

Riddick, my 3 yr old GSD, is a protector. He is definately our guard and I have on many a times appreciated the fact that he can scare the **** out of people, at 125 lbs, he is rather intimidating. He is always on look out at our house, he has saved us from Shady people twice now. While he appears to be a big friendly giant, the minute you knock on our door you know just what is living inside and what fate awaits you if you enter with out our say so. We have a 13 week pup as well, and she is shaping up to be quit the protector as well.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

Ours never bark when we return home--I sometimes come in and find the dogs all asleep and have to nudge them to get them awake to go outside!

Any visitor to the door elicits barks--if they know the person, it's a bark or two until they get in the door.

A stranger would never even make it to the steps of the front porch before Luca would be telling them to back off.

And we hate the mailman. Thank goodness we are able to drive off that danger every day!

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page