Do You Let Your Dog(s) On The Furniture? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110
Do You Let Your Dog(s) On The Furniture?

Just wondering if you allow your dog(s) on the furniture or not Any comments welcome! I'd like to see why or why you don't if you'd like to post that, too!

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Do You Let Your Dog(s) On The Furniture?

My house is way too small not to allow them on the furniture and it's very hard to snuggle and rub bellies while watching tv when they are on the floor.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110

Its probably not good, but I want my girl to cuddle with me on the couch, and in bed! But she won't! She'll lay on the couch with me for a minute, but then jumps off, and if we tell her up on the bed, she might jump up for a minute, but does this silly down on her paws move where she looks like she's a football player reciever trying to fake a move and get past someone, then jumps off really quickly. Hard to describe, I should try to tape it!

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Elite Member

The boys are allowed on the sofa, but not the beds.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Master Member

I don't allow my dogs on any furniture. When invited, they act as if the furniture was made of jello. They can't seem to get comfortable and look like they are doing it only because I told them to. It makes me feel sorry for them to see them trying to be good but being miserable. They just are not comfortable on furniture. I can also lay down on my couch without dog stink just inches from my nose.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

we allow our dogs on all of the funiture. our Grey Hound broke her leg so she doesn't jump on the funiture anymore. our Shep just started getting on the funiture within the last two months. the other day my GF came into the living room and said "ok, who's going to get up"? Loki was on the futon chair and i was sprawled out on the sofa. Loki and i looked at each other as if to say "well". Loki looked so comfortable untill i didn't want to disturb him so i got up. i went into the kitchen. when i came out of the kitchen Loki was on the sofa with my GF. i told him to get off of the sofa and go back to the chair. he jumped down and returned to the chair and i sat on the sofa. my GF and i both laughed because he seemed to understand what i was saying.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Master Member

They are allowed on the furniture. They also know the command "off". Our furniture isn't fancy. We actually bought a leather couch because of dog hair. My biggest priority is they 'off' if we need them too.

The bed is a little different. While I love sleeping with them, a queen size bed with DH and I plus two big dogs is just not feasible. When one of us is working, they are allowed up. If I go to bed early, they will come up with me. When DH comes to bed, he doesn't even have to tell them to get off, they just leave. I guess they realize the rule is two humans=no dogs.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Yukon is not a furniture dog, he will get on the couch (sneak on the bed) when I invite him but will only stay for a couple of minutes and then get off.

He prefers the cold, hard floor to sleep/rest on.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Knighted Member

My girls are allowed on the furniture after they learn how to ask. Because they are potential service dogs, I have to be careful not to teach them any habits that may be offensive. (I would happily share furniture all the time) Perhaps, though, this makes them very respectful? Ilan chooses to this day to remain on the floor through the whole night, although she may come up to snuggle for an hour or so. She has, however, developed an interesting habit of pulling my blankets off in the middle of the night to cover herself with while sleeping on the floor!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

I wish I had never let them start, I just steam-cleaned the couch(microsuede) and the water coming up was really dirty. I keep blankets on the couch and it was still dirty. I am getting the carpets cleaned on Sat and if they have time, I will have them clean the couch again and scotchguard it. The dogs get on the bed to snuggle, but they don't sleep with us. So now I have to re-train them to stay off the couch, especially with the cooler wet weather that will be starting soon.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page