Do you eat before or after your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Do you eat before or after your dog?

For breakfast in the summer he eats before the kids and I but during the school year he eats after. Usually at supper he eats after us. Does it really matter whether he eats before or after us?

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Do you eat before or after your dog?

Our dogs always eat before us because it's more convenient for our schedules that way. No, for 99.9% of dogs it doesn't matter who eats first, unless you have the 1 dog in a million with enough dominance issues that he will read something into it, it's not an issue. And such dogs are very, very rare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

The dogs eat before us at our house too. It hasn't caused any issues.

If you think the gesture of eating first is important (I think it's a useful thing to do for a while when the dog is young) then just eat a cracker over the dog's bowl before you hand it to him. Or just "pretend" to eat something from the bowl. Make some chomping noises and lick your lips. It's just a gesture anyway, so it doesn't have to be a whole meal. You're just communicating to the dog that the food belongs to YOU, but you will share it with him because you're such a benevolent leader.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Master Member

50/50 here, just depends on the situation. I know Tidus doesn't read anything into being fed first or last.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

they eat after us almost always, table begging and tricks are permitted

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Neat. We don't eat first because of dominance it just works out that way.

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

They almost always eat before me. I don't think it matters.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Since someone is always eating at our house it is hard to say.

No really, I have never worried about it. The dogs know they don't get anything off of our plates and I've never had a dog beg at the table.

When I get a new pup/dog I've always pretended to eat out of the dog bowl as Tracy suggested and then let the dog have the part I didn't want. Some dogs I would do it one time while some for several meals, but I really have never had an issue with any of my dogs questioning me about their food.

Now on a different note -- if for some reason my dogs and I had to miss a meal such as an emergency -- then of course I always made sure they were fed and watered before I grabbed mine.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Knighted Member

Jesse has never eaten before us. I don't care what time it is, he will always eat after me and has to lie down while I eat then he can eat, He is generally on a schedule - but weekends he goes off schedule and doesn't seem to suffer for it, as he gets 2 meals a day. I believe in the alpha roles, leader always eats first.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to denwil2007

I now have four dogs here, two unaltered males, and they all eat before me. It doesn't matter. As far as dominance, they all have to perform something for me before they eat, a sit or down. Then I call them by names and place the food next to them, or whatever spot in the room I want them to eat.

What does seem to matter is the order of who gets fed. The oldest dog gets fed first, no matter that he was not the first dog living here. He is more dominant. Then the two girls are fed last, usually the puppy in her crate.

That's most amount of dominance I show my dogs where food is concerned.

for show and performance
Sabian's Hot Pursuit v Southwind CGC --Chase
Bleibtreu's Ransom of Coda CGC --Chopper
T-Ho's BoclayBee-lieve in Me of Sabian-Cheetah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page