Foster question give up/keep - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Foster question give up/keep

Just wondered how many on board have fostered a dog and especially many dogs?How many have you been unable to give up-if any?I fostered a 3 legged female greyhound a number of years ago -really loved her but she was such a b--- to my owned dog(would bite him if he was asleep in a spot she thought she wanted.She found a forever home but just wondered if it was a better fit would I have trouble giving her up-and wondering how many successfully foster and give up dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Elite Member

Re: Foster question give up/keep

Well we only tried fostering once and she is here to stay. I simply could not bear giving her up; such a GREAT dog and so trusting. I regret not being able to help others, and I am sure she would have found a good home very soon... But just couldn't let go. I kind of thought: she is such a wonderful and easy and cool dog, someone would be sooo lucky to have her... Oh wait! Why not be that someone?

"A piece of grass a day keeps the vet away" - Unknown Dog
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 PM

After almost 12 years and 100+ furry house-guests, I'd have wall-to-wall GSD carpet if I had kept all my fosters. Heck, it would still be a good sized area rug if I just kept the ones that were a good fit.

Both of our current resident dogs are "foster failures". Roxy stayed after three failed adoption placements. She was a wild child, but made me laugh every day. I think my SO and his son said yes to fostering Ward intending to keep him all along.

Over the years there have been maybe 10 that I still miss and think of often. There were a few that I loved and could have easily let stay, but this actually wasn't the best home for them.

Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Crowned Member

I haven't fostered 100's, but I've fostered a good amount in the past five years. When I was actively fostering, I just kept it in the back of my mind, that once my current foster found their forever home, it allowed me to help save another one. It worked, still wasn't easy to see many of them go to their new home, but it helped.

Dogs leave pawprints on your heart . . clothes, car, floor, sofa, windows, guests . .
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Crowned Member

I've fostered probably a dozen. I signed up to foster with the understanding that I was looking to adopt a young sable male. I adopted Cash within a week of starting to foster him, but I was addicted to fostering so I kept on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

Over the course of the last 17 years I've been doing rescue I've fostered over 100 (dogs and cats) - I think I figured it up once and it was like 170 or something. I love them all and there have been a few that I still think of longingly but as others have said, either they weren't a good fit here (didn't get along with a resident dog etc) or I didn't have the time or set up to be their best possible home. I look at like my job is to find them their perfect home. If that's not here, I'm not doing them any favors by keeping them even if it would have made me happy and I take a space from the next dog who needs me. We had a Pom last fall that I just adored. He went everywhere with me and I called him my "errand buddy" but he was very nervous about big dogs (well, other dogs in general) so even though he was super-attached to me, I didn't feel like keeping him was fair since other dogs are a big part of my life. he is now the spoiled only child of a young couple and seems to be doing well. I still miss his dance of joy though.

I have found that even when I'm strongly tempted, and even when our home is a good fit, that when the right adopter comes along I can let them go. Doing it enough times you can remind yourself of the last one you wanted to keep and the one before that and you remember that as much as it hurt at first, the pain dulled and then you were just happy they were happy.

One thing that's always hard is when they're super super bonded to you and you practically have to pry them off you to give them to the new owners. But it helps when you do this a lot and you get to see your former fosters later and see how attached they are to their new owners - and how sometimes, they only vaguely remember you. That's bittersweet, but ultimately a good thing, I think.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

I just saw this was a poll question - in answer to the question: to date I have never kept a foster dog. I did, until recently have a foster failure cat (died this spring at age 16) who had so many health problems that I never ever bothered trying to place her when I got her as a kitten, even though she was not an animal I planned to keep when I brought her home.

All 4 of my current personal dogs are from shelters (two by way of other rescue groups) but they were all adopted as permanent residents from the get go.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

I kept my first female foster, Judy. She is a senior and spent probably all of her life outside and was most likely used for breeding. When she came in my home I promised her that she would never spend another night outside in her life and that she would always have a dry warm place to lay her head. I figured the only way I could make sure to keep that promise was to adopt her myself. Plus she is the complete opposite of Liesel and they get along. I joke that they are yin and yang and you can't have one without the other.

It is going to kill me to give up my current foster, because he has become very bonded to me and I to him, but I know that I can not help another dog if I don't first find him a forever home.

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Master Member

I have only had one foster. I took him in out of necessity, he was a stray with nowhere else to go. At the time I was going broke and he had a level 5.9 heart murmur (on a scale of 1-6, 6 being the worst). I knew I couldn't afford the vet care he would need. It still hurts to think of him, I wanted so badly to keep him.

Since then, I haven't been in a situation where I could foster (renting, and then moving back in with my folks) but I don't know if I could after what I went through with the first one.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to elfwofle

I started fostering last year, and we have kept one of our foster pups, because he was partly blind, and had hematomas in both ears. Our local AC (who I was fostering for) said because he was a "special needs" case and they are much harder to place, they will more than likely put him to sleep. I told them if it comes down to them killing him or me keeping him, I would take him as he was already integrated into our pack. I have had him since he was a week old and my GSD started lactating three days after the 6 pups came home.

Because my last batch of pups (in June) had parvo, I am turning away pups for a while and fostering a three-legged cat and 3 kittens. We might keep the three-legged cat because I have always wanted one.... but we are giving him 2 months to be adopted first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page