pick-up truck dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

pick-up truck dogs

Ok so hubby wants to teach Sata to ride in the bed of the truck. I don't feel comfortable with it at all. He has taken him to several places and said that Sata did wonderfully. He said that even with people outside walking around and kids everywhere he stayed in the truck. He didn't once climb up on the sides of the truck. I have seen firsthand what kind of horrible things can happen when a pet jumps or falls out of a moving vehicle not to mention the fact that it isn't good for their ears. I just wanted to see how many of you travel with your pets in the back of a truck. Thanks and please leave comments as well regarding the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

pick-up truck dogs

Ok so hubby wants to teach Sata to ride in the bed of the truck. I don't feel comfortable with it at all. He has taken him to several places and said that Sata did wonderfully. He said that even with people outside walking around and kids everywhere he stayed in the truck. He didn't once climb up on the sides of the truck. I have seen firsthand what kind of horrible things can happen when a pet jumps or falls out of a moving vehicle not to mention the fact that it isn't good for their ears. I just wanted to see how many of you travel with your pets in the back of a truck. Thanks and please leave comments as well regarding the subject.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

Re: pick-up truck dogs

It's not a matter of whether or not the dog will stay in the truck bed on their own.

It's what happens when your husband has to stop suddenly or swerve. The dog will be THROWN from the vehicle.

The ONLY way I would allow my dogs to ride in the bed of a truck is if I had a crate securely fastened to the truck bed and the dog was in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

What you have said about seeing first hand what can happen to dogs that ride in the back of trucks are the reasons that it is NOT a good idea to allow it.

Some places it is actually illegal to haul a dog loose in the back of a pick-up.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Check your Local/State laws. In some locations it is against the law, or restricted to having the animal on a very short lead or crated, so that he/she cannot fall out of the back of the pick-up.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

What about their feet? That is what I always think about-how hot that metal or plastic is on their feet-I watch them hopping around...it kills me.

ETA-that's not the only thing that scares me about it of course!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

I would never let my dogs ride in the back of my truck. I hate seeing other dogs riding in the back doing 70 down the expressway. What if you had to stop suddenly for a deer or car, the dogs wouldn't stand a chance. Mine are restrained with seat belts most of the time. I feel better knowing they ar safer that way.

Mum to:

Ellie, GSD -CD GN RE CGC
Koda, GSD -TD CD RN HIC CGC
Zena, GSD, the shelter dog
Snacks, the shelter cat.

Traverse & Kessler

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Elite Member

Recently some signs were posted in the area where I live. "Stolen black lab from the bed of my truck while parked at Walmart. Help, I want my best friend back!!"
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:02 AM

I agree with AnnaRiley, I currently had a GSD stolen, and seems that if a dog was in the back of a truck, that would be an easy way to steal a dog...... I don't want you to have to go through what I've been through, please don't let your hubby leave her.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to SMGriffin

Mine, personally, does not ride in the bed (mainly because we don't have a truck) but I know several people who do. There is, however, a 'but'. That is only for simple puttering around town where no one goes faster that 45. Everyone I know who takes their dog with them camping and has to use the highways either has them ride in the cab, if there is room, or in a secured crate in the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page