BYB vs. reputable breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

BYB vs. reputable breeder

alright, who has a BYB pup/dog and who has a pup/dog from a reputable breeder?? also do they have any health issues??

i consider my boy a BYB, but on the other hand the breeder did go about things the way a good breeder would. so far (6 months old) tyson has not had any health issues other than he did have a sprained knee from rough play with another pup

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

Re: BYB vs. reputable breeder

I have two GSDs from rescue, but know where they came from.

Both I would say are BYB-one started out good, then I think got more into another breed.

Bella-from a definite BYB has plasmoma (pannus of the 3rd eyelid)
Nina-from an oops mother-son litter has GSD pyoderma, which is a rough skin disorder and hypothroid

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Master Member

Shadow is almost positive a BYB puppy. He's 5 months old and no major health problems yet. He's a small guy, but has a great temperment (sp?). The only problem is that one of his testicles didn't drop, but that will be taken care of when neutered.

Di

Shadow - GSD
Apache - Bernese Mtn / Australian Shep X
and gone but NEVER forgotten:
Smokey Joe - GSD/Rott X
Jake - Westie-Poo
Mandy - Peke-a-Poo
Denae - Akita/Malamute/GSD
T.J - Great Pyranees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Elite Member

My two GSDs are from a BYB in southern Virginia who had their own ideas about breeding oversized GSDs. They did have some kind of plan but they are definitely not into genetics or show lines.

The chronic issues my 2 had when I got them have resolved by feeding them super premium food and supplements.

I haven't had their hips and elbows xrayed but Jess shows signs of mild elbow dysplasia but mild and she is going on 3 now so I think she'll be fine. They have flat backs as opposed to sloped backs which is better for their health.

But we didn't buy them, we rescued both of them.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM

both my dogs were from rescues with their history known.

gia is from a BYB. at the time he had a poorly done geocities website & he bothered to micro chip the pups, then decided that the rescue should find her a home instead of having her returned to him at 9.5 months. gia has HD, diagnosed at 4yrs due to weird spasms/lameness.

tilden came from what "sounded like" a responsible breeder situation, but we don't have the kennel name. they were willing to take him back if original owners shipped him. he has absolutely no health problems so far (a hernia is the all ive noticed in the 9 months i've had him)

eta: i forgot about pano for tilden... but he was better very shortly after i got him.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 PM

Brody came from a backyard breeder. He has had a bout with pano so far but thats about it. He definately doesnt look strong in the hindend. Hoping its not HD as he gets older. On the positive side though he has the best personality ive ever seen.
Greta came from a breeder. Shes only 4 months and we havent had any problems yet. Praying that they both stay healthy.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Ok what is considered a BYB, A sprained knee or a one testical dog I feel doesn't fit the discription to me. Just because one testical doesn't drop, I've seen a reputable breeder put them out once in a while. Sometimes it make me mad when there is a problem out of the breeder control on said pup that all of a sudden they are labled a BYB. I feel that it is how the breeder takes control of the issue that would label them this, not cause the pup has a problem
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: chuckOk what is considered a BYB, A sprained knee or a one testical dog I feel doesn't fit the discription to me. Just because one testical doesn't drop, I've seen a reputable breeder put them out once in a while. Sometimes it make me mad when there is a problem out of the breeder control on said pup that all of a sudden they are labled a BYB. I feel that it is how the breeder takes control of the issue that would label them this, not cause the pup has a problem
Producing a puppy with a retained testicle doesn't make a byb. That can happen to anyone. BREEDING a dog with a retained testicle, however, is a definite sign of a byb to me.

Rocky is from a BYB. His health is very very good, although he did have a retained testicle. He is also extremely nervy and shy.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

My puppy is from a reputable, responsible breeder. She's got no health or temperment problems we've seen yet.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

I agree breeding a one testical dog in the first place is just plain wrong, how about the breeder that put dogs together with out researching what they are breeding, or doesn't stand behind what they breed also would be considered a BYB in my book
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page