Snow Boots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Question Snow Boots?

Hello everyone! We are looking at taking our 4 year old girl Jade with us on a winter vacation. We are Texas people, and Jade has never seen frost, let alone snow! She loves to run and play outside, and swimming is about her favorite thing ever, so I'm excited to see how she will respond to snow!

However, because she is not use to the cold, do I need to worry about her feet? We will only be there for a few days days, and we don't plan on doing any crazy wildness hikes, just some short walks & playing in the snow. I've looked at boots online, but they seem a bit pricey. Do I need them for such a short trip, or do you think she will be okay? If she needs them I will totally spend the money, but she will probably only use them this time.

Hopefully you guys have some answers for me! In the mean time here are some pictures of my girl doing her favorite thing.

Jade BN CGC- 05/06/12

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Knighted Member

I have a Texas dog as well. His feet are really tough from running around outside and he doesn't seem to notice the cold at all. (we actually did see some ice and snow. All he cared about was whether or not I was going to throw the ball). if it's not for extended periods of time (and keep an eye on her comfort level--holding up her feet, etc.) I would think that she would be fine.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 AM

Have you tried www.chewy.com ? Not sure which brand you look at but for pricey boots i will guess Ruffwear? Maybe try Chewy Or amazon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Master Member

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Chances are it will take longer to accustom her to wearing them than is worth while for a few day trip. If she really doesn't seem to like it just leave her inside, but I bet she will love it. If you think her pads need some extra protection try a paw salve like musher's secret which will stop snow from building up between her pads. Snow will ball up under my GSD's feet, but he just stops and pulls it off and keeps going. I pulled the snow balls off for him once and he went after the snow I pulled off and ate it so I was like fine do it yourself, lol.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned

They don't need it. They have a warming mechanism built into their feet. Ever seen an Alaskan wolf with snow boots?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

if you're going to be walking the dog on heavily salted sidewalks boots aren't a bad idea. just for the snow, no need.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Master Member

The only time our girls needed booties was last February, when it was -30 Celsius. They refused to go outside for about 12 hours, it was so cold. We grabbed a package (12 in a pack) of Pawz boots at the nearest pet store, and they actually had no problems wearing them. You do need three hands to get them on (two to spread the "shoe" and one to guide the paw). We were very surprised at how much difference the thin rubber made for them - they even ran after a few balls!

Pawz Dog Boots (12 individual rubber boots/pack) | PetOnly.ca

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:47 PM

You can save your money, and just bring along some old sweatshirt to cut up.
IF your dog starts shivering, or hopping on 3 legs, then use the sweaters, and that business should end.
True story: I was out in extra cold weather (it's all relative to what your dog has adapted to, so you are right to be concerned) and my former gsd started hopping on 3 legs and I REALLY wanted to keep going--so I took off my scarf and wrapped it around her neck. She was fine after that. Keeping the body warm keeps the feet warm.
Another reason for 3 legged hopping is iceballs stuck to the feet (they will drop and bite at them, so you will know)--vaseline does a good job at no cost. An hour walk will run it off, so there is no mess to worry about when they get back in. It will also help with salt owies.
Most dogs LOVE snow. Make a snowball, they love to bite at them, chase them, jump for them.
Enjoy your winter trip.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
They don't need it. They have a warming mechanism built into their feet. Ever seen an Alaskan wolf with snow boots?
Just gonna leave this here...

White Wolf : World's First Prosthetic Pawed Dog (Video)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
Warming mechanism?!Can you elaborate?

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in