moderate 58 53.70%
rarely 42 38.89%
none 1 0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Does Your GSD Bark?

I was just curious to see how many yes there will be, my puppy is 16 weeks old and he doesn't bark except for very rare conditions

Hello!

Current Dog(s) : Luger GSD Male, Black and Tan Born 8/3/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Banned

don't think too much about it. some bark more than others.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Oh no I'm not worried about it I'm just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!

Current Dog(s) : Luger GSD Male, Black and Tan Born 8/3/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM

My puppy didn't bark until she was 6 months old. She also started to grunt and groan around that age. Took her to the vet to see what was wrong - nothing, she just learned to vocalize.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:26 PM

Mine bark very seldomly. It's to the point that when they do bark it sometimes startles me because it generally isn't without reason. Although GSDs are sometimes known to "talk" a lot. Kavik, my GSD - Husky mix is my little chatty kathy, she is also my tantrum throwing dog. Haha I'm sure most of that comes from the Husky side of her. Nikkia, my full GSD, is more of the silent type. Doesn't talk much, doesn't whine much (unless she thinks we're on our way to the beach! Haha) and rarely barks.

~MacKenzie

Shakar (Foster) - Born: 2/15/05 - Sable GSD - No longer in my care, forever in my heart
Nikkia - Born: 3/24/07 Sable GSD
Kavik (Rescue) - Born: 2/2/12 - GSD / Husky X
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Elite Member

It depends. If it is about dogs barking in the distance or the horses running or our milk cow the dog is given the Enough command. If it is someone walking or biking on the road down there it is investigated, then suppressed. If it is the aggressive bark while leaping into the air this is checked out with the What Is It command. The What Is It command is seldom used because it is so important. She used to do mindess puppy barking while riding in the truck, barking her head off at other dogs or people in a parking lot. She no longer does this at the age of 10 months.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:05 PM

Bea only found her bark around 6 months, scared the **** out of me because she sounded like a fully grown male GSD. Before that she yapped a bit when we played and that was about it. 6 months is apoarently when they start to develop their insticts to pritect, and will usually bark at loud noises or someone driving up the driveway etc. Before that time, though, I'd have to say apart from barking when playing around, they don't generally bark much, in my experience.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:25 PM
Master Member

Copper rarely barks, she is still very vocal though, she makes this weird yodel or grumbly noises like she is trying to talk to me, it's pretty amusing. She even has different yodel phrases for different occasions. The only time she will bark is when she's really excited, when she sees me grabbing a toy or during protection training. I think many dogs bark out of boredom but there's also dogs that just bark a lot regardless.
Shooter likes this.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Samson started barking at strangers coming to the door around 4.5 months. He barked at the cat a few weeks prior to that, but only because he wanted to play. He doesn't bark at people or dogs when we're out and about, and generally isn't much of a barker.

He does talk a lot though. Very vocal.
Shooter likes this.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Roscoe is still young (14 weeks) but he finds stuff to bark at. He barks at his ball if it rolls away from him. He pulled over a fireplace screen today and was not happy about it. He growled and barked at it for 5 minutes afterward. He has started half-growling-half-barking when cars pull into the driveway, but he doesn't go crazy or anything. And then, of course, he barks when we're playing.
Shooter and Grez like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page