Do you wrestle with your GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you wrestle with your GSD?
Yes 19 50.00%
No 19 50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Do you wrestle with your GSD?

Allowing play biting etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

**** yeah....especially when she was a pup and bringing it on....seemed like the obvious thing to do..... I took a few shots but she learned bite inhibition and some rules of engagement.

SuperG
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 PM

Heck no!I sit in the shade and sip iced tea while my dogs wrestle each other

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
Heck no!I sit in the shade and sip iced tea while my dogs wrestle each other

LOL.....yeah...don't fuel my fire of getting another dog....however, chances are... it would just end up as a 2 against 1 wrasslin' match if I should get another dog.

SuperG
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:34 PM

Nope, I do not wrestle or rough house with my dogs. Since I do IPO with my dogs or Patrol work, I do not encourage bite inhibition with my puppies. Wrestling is not a game that we play. Plus, with the types of male GSD's that have owned or own currently this is something I wouldn't do. I never want my dogs to think that biting me is ok or even rough housing is ok. I do play tug of war, but it is clear that the game is over the toy. I also always let my dogs win when playing tug.

I do a lot of training and working with my dogs. The vast majority of what I do is motivation based and fun for my dogs. I just don't see the need to rough house or wrestle, especially when I own dogs that will stand up for themselves and may be a little too determined to win.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Nope, I do not wrestle or rough house with my dogs. Since I do IPO with my dogs or Patrol work, I do not encourage bite inhibition with my puppies.

Slam.....if your dogs weren't involved in the specific arenas which you use them for....and were strictly companion dogs....would you take the same position or modify it a bit???

SuperG

Last edited by SuperG; 02-24-2016 at 07:58 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 08:30 PM

SuperG,
No, it's not my cup of tea. I do play games with my dogs, but it is structured and revolves around training. The dogs don't know it, they just think it is fun. I would rather spend my spare time petting my dogs than wrestling. I will lay on the floor with a young dog and play with a ball, I will let the dog run over me and jump on me, but it is with a toy. I am always looking down the road and I never encourage my dogs to bite me even in play. I know that sooner than later they will be 60, 70 or 80 lbs. That is not the time that I want to deal with a dog that thinks it's fun or acceptable to put it's teeth on me.

That is just me. If people have no issues with their dogs and like to rough house, I do not have a problem with it. It is just not my way of playing with dogs.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
SuperG,
No, it's not my cup of tea. I do play games with my dogs, but it is structured and revolves around training. The dogs don't know it, they just think it is fun. I would rather spend my spare time petting my dogs than wrestling. I will lay on the floor with a young dog and play with a ball, I will let the dog run over me and jump on me, but it is with a toy. I am always looking down the road and I never encourage my dogs to bite me even in play. I know that sooner than later they will be 60, 70 or 80 lbs. That is not the time that I want to deal with a dog that thinks it's fun or acceptable to put it's teeth on me.

That is just me. If people have no issues with their dogs and like to rough house, I do not have a problem with it. It is just not my way of playing with dogs.
Slam,

Appreciate the response.....but the main reason I asked the question was because of a comment you made in your first reply to this thread which was " ..... I do not encourage bite inhibition with my puppies.". This makes sense to me based on the work your dog(s) are involved in...however as a companion dog owner, like many in here....teaching bite inhibition at a young age is rather important unlike your situation but for somewhat the same reason mostly....I'd rather take a hit or 6 from a GSD as a pup while it's learning the ropes regarding bite inhibition rather than later. Personally, I think my approach to rough housing with a pup, which inevitably leads to an overzealous or misplaced bite by the younger dog creates a response by the human which is genuine and the dog learns is not acceptable and therefore modifies it's bite pressure...assuming the human teaches the appropriate lesson at the appropriate time. Once again, I understand this is not your goal since bite inhibition is not your desire for the work involved. I guess if I wanted a hard hitting dog such as your pursuits require, I wouldn't teach bite inhibition either and play fighting would run the risk of tempering the dog's reactions and output when it really mattered. We are somewhat at opposite ends of the spectrum in our intended goals so it would seem....both based on what is best for the dog and it's purpose.

SuperG
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 PM

I agree with you. With puppies I ignore the biting and redirect to something that is appropriate to bite. If I was to rough house with the puppies that I have had the biting would become extremely intense. My wife does not like any biting and she will let me and the puppy know quickly. I reinforce and reward the behaviors that I like and they are usually repeated. The most I do for biting with a puppy is a stern verbal reprimand. I haven't had any problems with dogs learning bite inhibition.

Jim
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 PM

Hubby does. I do a little now that he is two. My five month old doesn't want to wrestle with me without nipping so she's a no.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page