German Shepherds Forum banner

How many pets is the most you can handle?

• 1-3

Votes: 71 54.2%
  • 4-6

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • 7-9

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 10 or more

Votes: 7 5.3%

How many pets are your limit?

18K views 93 replies 70 participants last post by  cvamoca 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I started thinking about this in conjunction with the vacuum thread and people talking about how many pets their vacuum is handling.

We used to have four, but I think that was too many. Three cats on their own were fine, three cats plus a dog was a lot. Sometimes I think the two cats and the dog are a lot. We haven't had other kinds of animals - and animal species isn't reflected in the poll - but feel free to discuss the mix and what works and doesn't work for you.

(Note: I'm not including zero pets as a poll option because we probably all have at least a GSD, or will soon, or we wouldn't be here.)

#3 ·
The most I have had was 3 dogs.I would not go over that and right now two is my limit. I do have two outdoor cats and a kitten all who were born backin the woods who canme to us. Charlie got hold of the kitten in our backyard and husband took her to the vet. She was bruised and had a cold as well as worms took care of those thing and Tiger lives in the back room in our basement w/ a big dog bed and Im looking for kitty toys. Rightnow she sleeps alot and eats . We are over our limit w/ cats. Our two outdoor cats have a place in our attic.They have been spayed and neutered and have multiple beds and a litter box. Hubby is the cat lady in our house.

#5 ·
I don't think I'd go more than 2 dogs at a time. Got one now, and want a second one, but I doubt I'd be able to manage/train/work more than two at once.

Cats are pretty much self-maintained, so I wouldn't consider those as part of the equation (for me, at least).

#8 · (Edited)
Cats are pretty much self-maintained, so I wouldn't consider those as part of the equation (for me, at least).
That hasn't been the case for us. Our cats have always been very people-oriented, and some of them have had long term health problems. Thankfully, as much as I hate to say it because it meant we lost one, we just have healthy cats now. It does make life easier.

I've said I want a second dog, and in theory I very much want a second shepherd - but on a practical level, I don't want to do that unless we were down to either one or zero cats. Even then, I don't know if I'd be up for working two dogs. It isn't an immediate worry, so I'll only give that serious thought if my husband bumps his head and asks if I want another puppy.

I think my absolute upper limit is two dogs and a cat. My preferred limit is two pets, one of which may be a cat.

Edit: I actually perceive the cats as being more work now. I think it might be because my dog is sort of a way of life at this point, and my cats have chores associated with them. I have to feed them and groom them and take time out to pay attention to them when my dog needs time and training and engagement, while the stuff I'm doing with/for my dog doesn't feel like chores. It's just part of my routine and stuff I'm doing with her.

#7 ·
Have two German Shepherds and two cats. One cat is feral and stays outside and the other spends most of its time inside. I could do one or two more cats but two dogs at a time is enough. My house isn't that big or I'd find myself having 5-6 dogs and a lot more cats but size makes me keep within reality.

#9 ·
Interesting question. In the house, 3 dogs is my limit (2 permanent residents + 1 occasional guest, when we dog-sit for family and friends).

Outside is a different matter - we have 50+ animals (livestock & poultry, not "pets"). The biggest headaches arise when one of the "outside" animals needs to temporarily move inside for extra TLC (newborns rejected by mom, baby chicks hatched in cold weather, etc). Then it gets very crowded, very fast, it's a nightmare keeping things clean, and everyone gets grumpy. I sold my goat buck (only have does now) before we got our second dog, because the idea of potentially having to bottle feed a goat kid in the same house as a GSD puppy is more than even I want to deal with. For the time being, anyway...

#10 ·
Two dogs is my limit. That's what we can comfortably afford and transport in our SUV. Also, our house is fairly small, so we wouldn't really have room for a third dog. I would, however, be willing to foster another dog while we still have two of our own. We also have a guinea pig right now. No more guinea pigs after he is not with us anymore. I could see maybe ending up with a cat plus the two dogs at some point, but we'll see.

#12 ·
For me, one dog and one cat. We have three small children so that is a big factor. Keeping them fed, watered, and working on house breaking them is quite a challenge some days. ;)

We also travel a lot. The cat has no problem staying home for a week and a half while we visit family. (We leave her with a huge set up- tons of food, water, and an extra litter box.) It's going to be easier for us to take the dog with us than the cat. We've tried that before. It's a PITA.

Maybe when the kids are much older we'll consider a 2nd dog. But probably not.

#14 ·
I have a small house (maybe 1000 sq ft), and a teeny yard. It was a stretch having 3 GSDs here. Since losing Sage, we've decided to stick to having 2 big dogs and 2 skinny cats. And really, since I have a dominant male and a dominant female, I wouldn't be able to add another dog anyway.

#16 ·
It depends upon the animals. Right now, two dogs is the most I want. I'm training both in IPO. That's a lot. If club were closer, if my house were in order, I'd add another horse to the one I feed now. Club isn't closer, my house lacks order, I waste time on the internet. I'm tempted to add a bull snake for rodent control but I'm not sure how the dogs would relate to that.
So basically, it isn't the number, it's the kind and the individuals and the circumstances.

#17 ·
Three dogs are the perfect number for us.We had four for a while and it was too much.We used to have cats(7 at one point!) But two of the current dogs would be difficult with any cats so no kitties right now.

#18 ·
We have three dogs in the home, plus a foster often. Personally I think three is my limit unless there's another person committing to helping.

But I also do have two cats and two fish on top of the dogs :)

#19 ·
How do you all with multiple dogs plus fosters/guests manage? My one dog requires most of my off time and energy. Obviously she sometimes has to just deal with it when I have stuff I have to take care of, but if she had her way, we would play and hang out every minute of every evening.

#20 ·
It's a challenge some days for sure :) You have to be willing to divide your time and put effort into it but I really enjoy having multiple animals around so I find it worthwhile

Each dog has their own training time and special time

#23 ·
I currently have 5 (puppies don't count) dogs and my parrot (who really isn't that much work). One will be leaving, Gavin, but then one should be staying (puppy Hera). When you breed having multiple dogs is a given unless you are willing to dump your old girls when they are done having puppies (yes, I realize that is a touchy subject too). It would be easier if the girls could all run together, but bitches can be bitches. LOL

The really difficult part is that I am working multiple dogs. That actually is a far more time consuming and sometimes stressful issue especially in a 3 phase sport like IPO. I would sooner stick to working just 2 dogs, at the most.

#25 ·
right now we have 1 cat and 2 dogs. I would live to add a long coat sable pup to my pack. I think best to let the GSD mix pup ( 7 momths) mature first. Once he is reliable in all aspects of obedience I'll start looking for a pup. Not that he doesn't have manners or know to listen I just want to be able to devote myself fully to him until he's about 18 months old.

#27 ·
This is my first time with 2 dogs. Shelby is maybe GSD, or maybe just MOSTLY GSD. lol! Natty Boh is a hound mix. I enjoy them and don't mind the work. I rather like having two dogs. It is entertaining. I also have 2 rabbits and 2 horses.

Have to say, I'm OK with the time and handling aspect. It's the expenses that can kill me. One horse had a real bad year, in 2014. She cost us close to $10,000 that year. Two dogs are twice the everything - food, vet care, HW, flea/tick preventatives. (Just basics.) Care for 2 rabbits costs about $50 a month. Both rabbits are having eye issues and have been to the vet several times. We have talked surgery. I'm thinking, "no." We will see.

#28 ·
Two dogs, two cats. I might consider more cats, but definitely not more than two dogs at a time.

#30 ·
My old girls do not need a whole lot. My youngsters take more time. But, having multiples is easier in some ways. And, yes, if you breed and are not willing to dump your retired breeding bitches, you will have more dogs than most people can fathom managing.

I can only say, that many of us who breed, who have what others would say are too many dogs, do not have the problems that people with 1-2 dogs often have.

Our dogs are not spazzing when taken to the vet. They can have one outing in 6 or 8 months, and meet people, children, babies, groomers, vets, whatever, and even 4 dogs running at them without losing their minds. They trust us completely, they are happy -- even not living in the house, and eating our left overs, sleeping on our bed; even if they are not worked regularly, tired out before we leave for work; even if they are not socialized as puppies beyond a couple trips to the vet for shots and maybe a trip or two to the groomers.

The dogs are critters, and living outside is natural for them. They can come in on occasion and they like that too, but they are happy outside. They are also living next to, and in many cases in the same kennels with another dog or two, and they generally do not have the problems of separation anxiety, nuisance barking, because they are lonely and bored.

Even if the bitches must be separated, being kenneled next to others in the pack is not the same as being completely alone for hours on end.

I have too many dogs, because I am not actively working toward some goal with every one of them. But, they are all loved and cared for, they all display a level of obedience and expectation for behavior.

I think that it really depends on the dogs. If you have dogs that require work/exercise to be sane and manageable, than fewer dogs would be a must. If you have dogs that want to be only-dogs, then, it can feel over-whelming to have multiples. 2-3 dogs might be overwhelming, where 5-6 dogs are manageable depending on the personalities alone.

Breeders have to be able to separate dogs. They need to separate dogs during heat cycles, and they may need to keep bitches separate altogether, and they will need to have a separate place for dams with litters. Most people who aren't breeders want dogs that get along with each other, and having dogs that will scrap with each other tends to be over-whelming.

#32 ·
My old girls do not need a whole lot. My youngsters take more time. But, having multiples is easier in some ways. And, yes, if you breed and are not willing to dump your retired breeding bitches, you will have more dogs than most people can fathom managing.

I can only say, that many of us who breed, who have what others would say are too many dogs, do not have the problems that people with 1-2 dogs often have.

Our dogs are not spazzing when taken to the vet. They can have one outing in 6 or 8 months, and meet people, children, babies, groomers, vets, whatever, and even 4 dogs running at them without losing their minds. They trust us completely, they are happy -- even not living in the house, and eating our left overs, sleeping on our bed; even if they are not worked regularly, tired out before we leave for work; even if they are not socialized as puppies beyond a couple trips to the vet for shots and maybe a trip or two to the groomers.

The dogs are critters, and living outside is natural for them. They can come in on occasion and they like that too, but they are happy outside. They are also living next to, and in many cases in the same kennels with another dog or two, and they generally do not have the problems of separation anxiety, nuisance barking, because they are lonely and bored.

Even if the bitches must be separated, being kenneled next to others in the pack is not the same as being completely alone for hours on end.

I have too many dogs, because I am not actively working toward some goal with every one of them. But, they are all loved and cared for, they all display a level of obedience and expectation for behavior.

I think that it really depends on the dogs. If you have dogs that require work/exercise to be sane and manageable, than fewer dogs would be a must. If you have dogs that want to be only-dogs, then, it can feel over-whelming to have multiples. 2-3 dogs might be overwhelming, where 5-6 dogs are manageable depending on the personalities alone.

Breeders have to be able to separate dogs. They need to separate dogs during heat cycles, and they may need to keep bitches separate altogether, and they will need to have a separate place for dams with litters. Most people who aren't breeders want dogs that get along with each other, and having dogs that will scrap with each other tends to be over-whelming.
:thumbup:

I keep my dogs in the house and I don't breed, but I agree with this. I don't have the problems that so many others have with one or two dogs.

#33 ·
I have 10 dogs currently and 1 cat. I don't even remember what it was like to have 2 dogs it was so long ago :p

I do breed Pomeranians and German Shepherds. My Poms are exhibited (starting tricks and one does Nosework) and my Shepherds work (Personal protection mostly) and do compete in a variety of sports.

I would say I have worked my life around my dogs, so I don't really find anything to be "a lot of work" anymore when it comes to the dogs lol.

But grooming dogs for up-coming shows is probably the hardest part. I have 5 Poms and 1 Shepherd I plan to show this year. So bathing 6 dogs(and full grooms on 5 of those) a week for 6 weeks prior to show is A LOT!!

Also prepping for up-coming sporting events!! Up to 5 hours a day for 8 weeks prior, depending on the sport.

I have to groom the Poms every other week throughout the winter, but that's just bath, blow dry, nails, ears, paws and sani. So I can do 5 in 2.5 hours. Cake compared to the summer schedule!

All of my dogs live in the house - 1500 square feet on a 3 acre lot.

#35 ·
I have 10 dogs currently and 1 cat. I don't even remember what it was like to have 2 dogs it was so long ago :p

I do breed Pomeranians and German Shepherds. My Poms are exhibited (starting tricks and one does Nosework) and my Shepherds work (Personal protection mostly) and do compete in a variety of sports.

I would say I have worked my life around my dogs, so I don't really find anything to be "a lot of work" anymore when it comes to the dogs lol.

But grooming dogs for up-coming shows is probably the hardest part. I have 5 Poms and 1 Shepherd I plan to show this year. So bathing 6 dogs(and full grooms on 5 of those) a week for 6 weeks prior to show is A LOT!!

Also prepping for up-coming sporting events!! Up to 5 hours a day for 8 weeks prior, depending on the sport.

I have to groom the Poms every other week throughout the winter, but that's just bath, blow dry, nails, ears, paws and sani. So I can do 5 in 2.5 hours. Cake compared to the summer schedule!

All of my dogs live in the house - 1500 square feet on a 3 acre lot.

When I had ten, and I was working with all of them -- put a title on six dogs in one year -- this was pretty much ideal for me. Would like to get down to that again, but when I think that, I wonder which ones I want to find new homes for and I crumble. (Preliminary sign of hoarding there.) I did home a few young adults in the past couple of years, a bitch I liked best out of Bear, Ingrid, and another bitch, Hannah just as a pet. It's harder when they are young adults because their personalities are so much more pronounced. But, if you are letting them grow out to see if they are something you want to move forward with, you have to be willing to find them an appropriate home if they do not make that cut.

I am impressed with the grooming you speak of. I was doing a brush out of two dogs each day, and then I could go through and do everyone's toenails on one day. But it is so easy to get behind. Shepherds are easy. But not necessarily coats.
I like to get my dogs the full grooming (not done by me) 1-2 times a year. The coated boy gets it more often.

Last night I came home to Babsy full of yuck. She is one of my house dogs, and somehow she managed to get full of muck in her small kennel area. I had to throw her in the bathtub and clean her up with shampoo. I dried her off and as I was cooking, I checked the time and I somehow got her bathed in 10 minutes. Wow. I was pretty impressed with that. Maybe the 3-4 hour full grooming ordeal (2 hours driving, 2 hours waiting for the dog to be done) really isn't worth just not doing it all myself.

#36 ·
I have 5 horses, 2 outside cats (that want to be inside csts), and 2 dogs (a 3rd is owned by a family member, ****zu). Both dogs are SAR dogs and enormous amount of training is put into them. As soon as both are certified (one is already) and they are well along their way in another discipline (both are trail dogs right now, but are learning HRD) I would be open to a 3rd GSD.. Have had 4 before living with a family that had 2 of their own.. Lots of work bit very very rewarding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.