How many pets are your limit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: How many pets is the most you can handle?
1-3 65 52.85%
4-6 42 34.15%
7-9 10 8.13%
10 or more 6 4.88%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How many pets are your limit?

I started thinking about this in conjunction with the vacuum thread and people talking about how many pets their vacuum is handling.

We used to have four, but I think that was too many. Three cats on their own were fine, three cats plus a dog was a lot. Sometimes I think the two cats and the dog are a lot. We haven't had other kinds of animals - and animal species isn't reflected in the poll - but feel free to discuss the mix and what works and doesn't work for you.

(Note: I'm not including zero pets as a poll option because we probably all have at least a GSD, or will soon, or we wouldn't be here.)

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-14-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

No more than 2 ever again.

post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

The most I have had was 3 dogs.I would not go over that and right now two is my limit. I do have two outdoor cats and a kitten all who were born backin the woods who canme to us. Charlie got hold of the kitten in our backyard and husband took her to the vet. She was bruised and had a cold as well as worms took care of those thing and Tiger lives in the back room in our basement w/ a big dog bed and Im looking for kitty toys. Rightnow she sleeps alot and eats . We are over our limit w/ cats. Our two outdoor cats have a place in our attic.They have been spayed and neutered and have multiple beds and a litter box. Hubby is the cat lady in our house.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
No more than 2 ever again.
Ditto.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Master Member

I don't think I'd go more than 2 dogs at a time. Got one now, and want a second one, but I doubt I'd be able to manage/train/work more than two at once.

Cats are pretty much self-maintained, so I wouldn't consider those as part of the equation (for me, at least).
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

2 dogs and a horse. Not sure if the horse counts because she won't fit in the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Knighted Member

Have two German Shepherds and two cats. One cat is feral and stays outside and the other spends most of its time inside. I could do one or two more cats but two dogs at a time is enough. My house isn't that big or I'd find myself having 5-6 dogs and a lot more cats but size makes me keep within reality.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriy View Post
Cats are pretty much self-maintained, so I wouldn't consider those as part of the equation (for me, at least).
That hasn't been the case for us. Our cats have always been very people-oriented, and some of them have had long term health problems. Thankfully, as much as I hate to say it because it meant we lost one, we just have healthy cats now. It does make life easier.

I've said I want a second dog, and in theory I very much want a second shepherd - but on a practical level, I don't want to do that unless we were down to either one or zero cats. Even then, I don't know if I'd be up for working two dogs. It isn't an immediate worry, so I'll only give that serious thought if my husband bumps his head and asks if I want another puppy.

I think my absolute upper limit is two dogs and a cat. My preferred limit is two pets, one of which may be a cat.

Edit: I actually perceive the cats as being more work now. I think it might be because my dog is sort of a way of life at this point, and my cats have chores associated with them. I have to feed them and groom them and take time out to pay attention to them when my dog needs time and training and engagement, while the stuff I'm doing with/for my dog doesn't feel like chores. It's just part of my routine and stuff I'm doing with her.

Last edited by WateryTart; 12-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Interesting question. In the house, 3 dogs is my limit (2 permanent residents + 1 occasional guest, when we dog-sit for family and friends).

Outside is a different matter - we have 50+ animals (livestock & poultry, not "pets"). The biggest headaches arise when one of the "outside" animals needs to temporarily move inside for extra TLC (newborns rejected by mom, baby chicks hatched in cold weather, etc). Then it gets very crowded, very fast, it's a nightmare keeping things clean, and everyone gets grumpy. I sold my goat buck (only have does now) before we got our second dog, because the idea of potentially having to bottle feed a goat kid in the same house as a GSD puppy is more than even I want to deal with. For the time being, anyway...
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

Two dogs is my limit. That's what we can comfortably afford and transport in our SUV. Also, our house is fairly small, so we wouldn't really have room for a third dog. I would, however, be willing to foster another dog while we still have two of our own. We also have a guinea pig right now. No more guinea pigs after he is not with us anymore. I could see maybe ending up with a cat plus the two dogs at some point, but we'll see.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page